mdot1982

Are there any shows like Dexter ?

I watched all 6 seasons of Dexter this month. It has it's flaws (a bit slow in many areas) but overall it was very good. Are there any other shows like this that center around a main character that is interesting. I watched House and enjoyed that. Dexter was a bit more sinister and enjoyed that! But I'm having trouble finding anything like it. There's CSI / Law & Order but those don't interest me.I watched the first 2 episodes of 'Lie to me' but it wasn't going anywhere, no danger involved. I was thinking about checking out 'The Mentalist' but the main actor seems like a pushover.Are there any other shows like these ?And is 'The Wire' really as good as the IMDB rating suggests ?

The Mentalist is unique in that it does center around the main character and also is a run of the mill CSI ish show if that makes sense. Jane's backstory repeatedly comes up and is involved in some of the murders they investigate. I've only seen the first season, but I hear season 3 is pretty intense when he finally confronts the past and goes off the grid. It's worth a shot.As for other shows, I haven't seen The Wire, but Damages (especially the first season) is pretty intense and absolutely incredible. The show starts with the end of the season and builds each episode up to that final moment. Again, the first season is just about as perfect as you can get. The second season is pretty good, but involves too many characters to reach the brilliance of the first. I need to watch seasons 3 and 4 soon to see how it goes from there.

BREAKING BAD. Definitely. It's probably the only show that can hold up/surpass the intensity, dark humour, and shocking occurrences of Dexter.Just an aside, I only really praise Seasons 1-4 of Dexter. The last two were fine, but not up to par with the first four.I used to think Dexter was the greatest show (remember, referring to Seasons 1-4) but Breaking Bad did the impossible and one-upped it.You could also check out The Walking Dead. You don't need to like zombies to enjoy it; very character based and intense show. It is gory, though.

Edited by ravon80

You've got a helluva lot of TV to watch, my friend.

I do watch a lot of tv shows and I find Dexter to be the best, because I don't get bored with it like I do with other shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, GOT, True Blood, Breaking Bad (just started watching it a week ago) and many other shows. I watched Dexter over 2 times the whole series. Sherlock is another great one that I can watch all over again, now I am just waiting for the next season to arrive soon. Veronica Mars and Pushing Diasies are shows that didn't deserve early cuts with only 2-3 seasons. I have many more, but I can't really put them all in this post.

Just got caught up with Breaking Bad this week. To me it's slightly better than Dexter because Dex has had a couple soft seasons. BB is rock solid from the pilot.Walking Dead is great. The Wire. I can't get into Game of Thrones simply because I love the books and when watching the show my brain is screaming at the TV "SLOW DOWN!!! You are going through all this great material too quickly!!!"

• Like 1

I've got to say Dexter tops it for me, but another show which is also fast paced and very clever is Nurse Jackie. Nurse Jackie stars Edie Falco from Sopranos, her character is sharp witted, tough, sarcastic a real joy to watch. She is balancing leading a double life and very nearly gets caught out in every episode; lots of ducking and diving to avoid it! Anyway, I won't put any spoilers so will leave it at that.

A sci-fi favourite of mine is a British series, The Fades. weird and wonderful. The first 3 maybe 4 seasons of Weeds is also excellent. A lot of fun and fast paced, keeps throwing new things at you.

If I think of any others I'll let you know.