Welcome to Box Office Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

47 Ronin | The Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Goffe Ascending

Goffe Ascending

Summer Tentpole

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,109 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 24 topics
  • LocationBrazil

biggest bomb ever?

Edited by Goffe, 29 October 2013 - 10:24 AM.

• Magic, Jay Hollywood and Cosmonaut like this

Our Destiny Lies Above Us

x45i7q.gif

dudalb

dudalb

Indie Sensation

• Free Account
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationSacramento

I would not be so sure about Japan. A lot of Japanese will take offense at taking one of the core legends of Japanese culture and making a sword and sorcery film out of it.

Problem with this  film has it is 225 Million cost. That means 450 Million to break even.

IMHO is another film that a few geeks will love, but the general going film public is just going to meh at.Given the huge budget, Bombs away!

samsha22

samsha22

Indie Sensation

• Free Account
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationPITTSBURGH

I still feel this is gonna do well..

• stripe and rb02 like this

Cmasterclay

Cmasterclay

Actually a Mod

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 17 topics
  • LocationMiami/Washington D.C

This movie looks absolutely god awful, and it doesn't take alot for me to at least be mildly interested in something

• Magic likes this
IFFFFF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL......WHAT THE CLAY.......IS........COOKIN!

dudalb

dudalb

Indie Sensation

• Free Account
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationSacramento

I still feel this is gonna do well..

Problem is with a 450 Million dollar break even point it will have to do a lot better then well for the film to  make any real profit for the studio,and when you sink this much  (225 Million) into a movie you had damn well better have quite a  bit of profit or the company stockholders are going to ask some pretty tough questions.

To talk about a film doing "well" without taking the film's budget into account it pure stupidity,and a lot of people here do that.

What might be incredible box office for a low budget film will be a diastater for a big budgeted film.

I love the way one guy in this thread said the film will be a huge hit and predicted 450 Million for it's box office. In the real world,that means it barely broke even (and mayby not even that since the 225 million figure does not include marketing).

And I hope no one in this forum is so ignorant of the way the film business works so as to understand that studios only get (on a average) half the box office take and therefore a rule of thumb is a film needs to take in twice it's budget to just break even.

Edited by dudalb, 30 October 2013 - 12:35 PM.

TLK

TLK

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 11 topics

Problem is with a 450 Million dollar break even point it will have to do a lot better then well for the film to  make any real profit for the studio,and when you sink this much  (225 Million) into a movie you had damn well better have quite a  bit of profit or the company stockholders are going to ask some pretty tough questions.

To talk about a film doing "well" without taking the film's budget into account it pure stupidity,and a lot of people here do that.

What might be incredible box office for a low budget film will be a diastater for a big budgeted film.

I love the way one guy in this thread said the film will be a huge hit and predicted 450 Million for it's box office. In the real world,that means it barely broke even (and mayby not even that since the 225 million figure does not include marketing).

And I hope no one in this forum is so ignorant of the way the film business works so as to understand that studios only get (on a average) half the box office take and therefore a rule of thumb is a film needs to take in twice it's budget to just break even.

Less than half of studio revenues come from theatrical. I love it when people trot out marketing budget and completely ignore other revenue streams.

• rb02 likes this

Goffe Ascending

Goffe Ascending

Summer Tentpole

• Basic Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,109 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2012
  • 24 topics
  • LocationBrazil
http://www.thewrap.c...exclusive-5711147 Ronin," Keanu Reeves' biggest movie since "The Matrix," has been described as a "nightmare" and will have to surpass $500 million at the box office just to break even

Edited by Goffe, 30 October 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Our Destiny Lies Above Us

x45i7q.gif

fmpro

fmpro

Buffy & Marvel fanboy. Proud of it

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts
  • 28 topics
  • LocationIn heaven. I was there when our kryptonian son returned home
I like the trailer..But this just has BOMB written all over it...
  • Magic likes this

slayermspaint.png

Barry Allen

Barry Allen

Summer Tentpole

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 60 topics
  • LocationLa Crosse WI

http://www.thewrap.c...exclusive-5711147 Ronin," Keanu Reeves' biggest movie since "The Matrix," has been described as a "nightmare" and will have to surpass $500 million at the box office just to break even

Is that 500M domestic?

Flash Tuesday Nights on the CW Channel

rb02

rb02

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 1 topics
  • Locationusa

Is that 500M domestic?

No.  That refers to the WW, and even that is a stretch.  If the budget really is 225M, which may or may not be the case, then something less than 500M WW should make a profit, after ancillary revenue is taken into account.  There is not a single movie in history that would have needed 500M domestic to make a profit.  The only way in such a scenario could possibly occur- take a movie with a budget over 200M, and not release it in a single foreign market.

rb02

rb02

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Locationusa

I would think that it needs a minimum of 100M domestic to make a profit.  If it isn't hitting 100M here, then it isn't likely to hit anywhere close to 300M OS or 400M WW.  And those are the type of numbers that are going to be needed before we even start talking profit.

That said, I do see it making somewhere near those numbers.  In fact, I can envision it exceeding those numbers.

Edited by rb02, 01 November 2013 - 03:33 PM.

• The Amazing Shay-Man likes this

Stanning for Stannis

• Premium Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,806 posts
  • 113 topics
  • LocationOff Calibrating

No.  That refers to the WW, and even that is a stretch.  If the budget really is 225M, which may or may not be the case, then something less than 500M WW should make a profit, after ancillary revenue is taken into account.  There is not a single movie in history that would have needed 500M domestic to make a profit.  The only way in such a scenario could possibly occur- take a movie with a budget over 200M, and not release it in a single foreign market.

You forget to take into account costs for Prints & Advertising, which are outside the production budget. A film that cost 225m to make ends up well north of 300m for total expenditures.

Edited by 4815162342, 01 November 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Every poster shall reap what they have sown, from the highest administrator to the lowest thread troll. And some will lose more than the likes off their profiles, I promise you. They have made my forum bleed, and I do not forget that.

COME WITNESS THE COUNTDOWN OF BOF'S TOP 100 VIDEO GAMES

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Summer Tentpole

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts
  • Joined November 19, 2011
  • 6 topics
  • LocationSouth Florida

Well, at least it doesn't look like a smoldering turd like Hercules: The Legend begins or I, Frankenstein, but thats not saying much.

Magic

Magic

Blockbuster

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts
  • 3 topics
  • LocationAustralia

This looks like a train wreck IMO. I can see it having some isolated appeal overseas but domestically I wouldn't be surprised with Battleship-type numbers. 

tumblr_n3eajl2GOk1shtsaco1_400.jpg

rb02

rb02

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Locationusa

You forget to take into account costs for Prints & Advertising, which are outside the production budget. A film that cost 225m to make ends up well north of 300m for total expenditures.

I did not forget to take that into account.  However, for those expenses, there are other revenues which are not counted in the WW total (TV rights, Netflix, DVD sales etc).  It's hard to calculate the P and A totals, and it's also hard to calculate the ancillary money, so the baseline is generally the production budget compared to the WW totals.

vc2002

vc2002

Blockbuster

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts
  • 25 topics
  • LocationChina

WOW this looks like it will bomb hard, as everyone is calling right now.

• Magic likes this

rb02

rb02

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Locationusa

Nonsense.  This will be the surprise hit of the winter.  Mark my words.

firedeep

firedeep

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,321 posts
  • 268 topics
  • LocationChina

http://www.boxoffice...erm_predictions

47 Ronin $9,000,000 $40,000,000

LOL