Welcome to Box Office Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Do 'Star Wars', 'Little Mermaid' & 'ID4' Signal the End of a Brief Era for 3D Re-Releases?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,404 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 465 topics

http://www.boxoffice...s-quickly-dying

Just a few short months ago, we took a look at how Hollywood's 3D re-release trend was shaping up so far. With a couple of early successes--The Lion King and Titanic, most notably--the returns have certainly diminished. Beauty and the Beast and Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace drew very modest interest, while September's Finding Nemo 3D took in $41.1 million domestically and an additional $19.5 million overseas. Monsters, Inc. 3Dhasn't fared any better in its current run ($32.5 million domestic and less than $3 million overseas so far) despite the advantage of additional buzz surrounding its upcoming sequel this summer.

In the wake of those two disappointing runs over the past four months, the bean-counters are getting wise. It wasn't long ago that Fox cancelled plans for a 3D treatment of 1996'sIndependence Day (once slated to release on July 4th weekend this summer). Earlier in January, Disney shelved The Little Mermaid 3D (formerly planned for October). Today, Disney announced that Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones and Episode III - Revenge of the Sith will no longer be given their 3D turns either. Both were slated to hit theaters in September and October, respectively. Maybe they'll find their way into theaters in the future, but its just as likely for now that they go straight to 3D Blu-ray first.

Save the Forums! Donation Campaign for Independent, Member-Funded Hosting

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Hatebox

Hatebox

Blockbuster

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,352 posts
  • Joined December 11, 2011
  • 8 topics

One can only hope.

• whoot likes this
"I worry about the superhero fixation of modern culture." - James Cameron

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 40,801 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 593 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Jurassic Park will breakout and do 70M or so DOM, 3D re-releases get all back on track :lol:

Edited by CJohn, 28 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 61/94/292 | Night at the Museum 3 - 20/101 | Annie - 12/68

- The Interview - 10/13/41 | Into the Woods - 35/48/148 | Unbroken - 17/22/86 | The Gambler - 8/10/38

- The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death - 6/14

- Taken 3 - 35/91

Clavius

Clavius

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2012
  • 28 topics
  • LocationUS

I think it's being replaced by 1-week theatrical re-releases (which sometimes extend if they play well). I think we will see plenty more of those, but not as many as one would have thought a year ago. There is often solid demand for classics on the big screen––some who don't like 3D will still go simply to have that experience. A 1 week engagement also helps to market the DVD/blu-rays. 

Edited by Clavius, 28 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

IndustriousAngel

IndustriousAngel

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 10 topics
  • LocationAustria

I hope so!

(And I hope we'll get some re-releases instead ...)

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake." - H.D.Thoreau

Barry Allen

Barry Allen

Summer Tentpole

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • Joined November 09, 2011
  • 60 topics
  • LocationLa Crosse WI

Jurassic Park will breakout and do 70M or so DOM, 3D re-releases get all back on track :lol:

Definitely see that happening

Flash Tuesday Nights on the CW Channel

Jawa

Jawa

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 1 topics
  • LocationChicago

My guess is that the remaining Star Wars films will eventually get re-released, but closer to when Episode VII comes out. I doubt anyone will care that TPM will have come out long before the rest.

As for the others, I doubt they get re-released unless a big sequel to them is made.

gooby pls

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

I think so. With diminishing returns, I think they will go back to being special cases only instead of an easy cashgrab by studios. 

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

Boxx93 of Winterfell

Boxx93 of Winterfell

Sleeper Hit

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Joined November 24, 2011
  • 1 topics
  • LocationVenezuela

Studios just dont know how to pick their classics...   :unsure:

stuart360

stuart360

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,313 posts
  • Joined November 24, 2011
  • 2 topics

No.

THIS TIME ITS WAR!
Posted Image

Telemachos

Telemachos

Mad Millerite

• Junior Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 702 topics
  • LocationLos Angeles

Forget the 3D aspect, I'd love to see regular limited re-releases of genre classics.

• lab276, vc2002, DAR and 3 others like this

Snoopy of Suburbia

Snoopy of Suburbia

Flop

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,601 posts
  • 123 topics
  • LocationThe North Star State.

I think 3D rerelease are done. I think studios are going to do a single week release instead. But this will only be for classics. Like Jaws on the big screen. 

http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_1peanuts__christmas_is_coming-851x315.jpg

Jonwo

Jonwo

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Joined November 11, 2011
  • 9 topics
I think 3D rereleases should be limited runs, Lion King was advertised as a limited run then got extended, Aladdin should get a limited rerelease before the Blu-Ray rerelease next January as it would great synergy for not the Blu-Ray release but also the Broadway musical in the Spring of 2014.

CloneWars

CloneWars

Box Office Gold

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts
  • 40 topics
  • LocationDeath Star

My guess is that the remaining Star Wars films will eventually get re-released, but closer to when Episode VII comes out. I doubt anyone will care that TPM will have come out long before the rest.

As for the others, I doubt they get re-released unless a big sequel to them is made.

I agree with you on SW. I think they are delayed until closer to Episode VII. 

Visit my website, blog, and YouTube channel at www.empowerautismnow.com

scottb

scottb

• General Moderator
  • 1,061 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 36 topics
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

I'm a fan of re-releases but not 3D re-releases. I think 3D should be left to new films that were made to be 3D, not old movies with bad 3D conversions.

• whoot and Punishment like this
007-373-5963

Fullbuster

Fullbuster

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,972 posts
  • Joined April 08, 2012
  • 149 topics
  • LocationSan Fransokyo

Maybe they should do IMAX releases in stead of 3D releases, for some movie that could work, and would be cheaper.

In Once Upon A Time, everyone's is cool :D

Schumacher FTW

Schumacher FTW

Blockbuster

• Premium Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,386 posts
  • 5 topics
  • LocationEast Sussex UK

Maybe they should do IMAX releases in stead of 3D releases, for some movie that could work, and would be cheaper.

Isn't the DMR conversion cost around $10m? If so there isn't that much of a difference really.

Top 5 2013: Pacific Rim/Rush, Despicable Me 2/Monsters University, Fast and Furious 6

Rudolf

Rudolf

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  • Joined April 05, 2012
  • 11 topics
  • LocationVienna/Austria

3D re-releases mostly worked only DOM, where 3D obviously was not the driving factor

but if they make money with the 3D conversion, it will continue

how many movies have been coloured?

vc2002

vc2002

Blockbuster

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,242 posts
  • 25 topics
  • LocationChina

3D re-releases mostly worked only DOM, where 3D obviously was not the driving factor

but if they make money with the 3D conversion, it will continue

how many movies have been coloured?

And it shouldn't be by any means.

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Summer Tentpole

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  • Joined November 19, 2011
  • 6 topics
  • LocationSouth Florida

Not at all.  3D will replace 2D like color replaced black and white like one particular director onces famously said.

LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users