Welcome to Box Office Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Boxoffice.com Social Network Futures: Early Buzz Tepid for OBLIVION

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,404 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 465 topics

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...blivion-for-328

April's relatively quiet release schedule means that a lot is hinging upon the success of one or two films. Arguably the most important one of those will be Oblivion, a film that isn't quite positioned for a summer release but could easily continue making the case that April will eventually become "the new May".

Oblivion has some work to do, though. Four weeks out from release, its Twitter activity is alarmingly slow. This may be attributable to the fact that it is in between promotional cycles. Still, the Tom Cruise-led science fiction title pulled 603 tweets over the last five days. While that is 108 percent ahead of Jack Reacher's activity during the same time, it pales in comparison to similar titles.

Save the Forums! Donation Campaign for Independent, Member-Funded Hosting

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

Scott Pilgrim vs The Forum

Box Office Gold

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Joined March 31, 2012
  • 96 topics
  • LocationElmira, NY

It still has some time to get some buzz but the tv ads I have seen so far feel kind of Blah

807774021.jpg?1378862958

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 40,809 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 593 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Kind of expected. Marketing has been boring and generic so far.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 61/94/292 | Night at the Museum 3 - 20/101 | Annie - 12/68

- The Interview - 10/13/41 | Into the Woods - 35/48/148 | Unbroken - 17/22/86 | The Gambler - 8/10/38

- The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death - 6/14

- Taken 3 - 35/91

Alpha

Alpha

Got Run Over by a Reindeer

• Premium Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts
  • Joined October 09, 2012
  • 103 topics
  • LocationAmerica

It'll probably do better once the marketing starts to rev up.

I think it's getting an IMAX exclusive release the week before nationwide, so if WOM is good then this should be an early success.

rsz_1b42ymrvimaa-yap.png

IN MEMORIAM

CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 40,809 posts
  • 593 topics
  • LocationPortugal

It'll probably do better once the marketing starts to rev up.

I think it's getting an IMAX exclusive release the week before nationwide, so if WOM is good then this should be an early success.

That was cancelled.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 61/94/292 | Night at the Museum 3 - 20/101 | Annie - 12/68

- The Interview - 10/13/41 | Into the Woods - 35/48/148 | Unbroken - 17/22/86 | The Gambler - 8/10/38

- The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death - 6/14

- Taken 3 - 35/91

Alpha

Alpha

• Premium Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts
  • 103 topics
  • LocationAmerica

Oh.

Well then it has to rely on marketing.

rsz_1b42ymrvimaa-yap.png

IN MEMORIAM

Wormy

Wormy

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2012
  • 10 topics
  • LocationPanem, Australia

Marketing over here is crazy. I see posters at bus stops, giant bill board at the ticket section of my local theater, lots of buzz where I'm at.

tumblr_mzrh55xwGl1rp0vjjo2_250.gif

JackO

JackO

SAG/AFTRA

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2012
  • 2 topics
  • LocationMe Chi Gain

I guess there was a reason why a film like this is released in April and not in Summer proper. 

TOP 24​ Most Accurate  USER for Oscar nominations 2012! Check out my 2013 predicts on the Gold Derby User Page now!   :) 

riczhang

riczhang

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,643 posts
  • 34 topics
  • LocationAround the World

I haven't seen any advertising for this. Like at all. 

EDIT: I definitely saw the trailer once sometime or another. I can't remember where though. Other than that, zero. 

Edited by riczhang, 27 March 2013 - 03:07 PM.

SilverShark

SilverShark

Indie Sensation

• Free Account
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • 0 topics
  • LocationVienna

In Austria the ads are quiet crazy too...

Even my mother (who´s not really interested in movies beside of rom-coms) called me and asked me what Oblivion is about because she saw some ads on TV.

In the US pretty slow buzz or what?

:ouch:

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

I guess they figured OS is their face-saving because interest domesticlaly is very low. I`m glad that North America is turning away from generic cash grabs more and more.

47fishnets_zps6a56e122.jpg

Sims

Sims

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts
  • Joined May 02, 2012
  • 13 topics
  • LocationSan Diego

But wait! I thought Tom Cruise was the comeback kid! You all know he's still a megastar! Don't deny it! Still the biggest box office draw around!

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

But wait! I thought Tom Cruise was the comeback kid! You all know he's still a megastar! Don't deny it! Still the biggest box office draw around!

Will kid`s OW is going to blow comeback kid`s OW out of water.

tribefan695

tribefan695

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,184 posts
  • 137 topics

Even my mother (who´s not really interested in movies beside of rom-coms) called me and asked me what Oblivion is about because she saw some ads on TV.

I haven't seen any ads at all. I don't watch a whole lot of tv, granted, but for a supposed big film like this I would've expected to have seen a few by now.

JqdcLDa.gif

Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,692 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club
I just saw one during Survivor
Hail Nolan

lab276

lab276

Global Phenomenon

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,853 posts
  • 41 topics
  • LocationSydney
I want a strong April, so hopefully this does well.

fishnets

fishnets

Global Phenomenon

• Suspended / Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,744 posts
  • 6 topics
  • Locationcanadian ocean

I don`t mind Cruise but really dislike Kosinski`s work on TL and can`t stand Kurylenko who completely ruined QoS with her charisma-free sourpuss face.

Edited by fishnets, 28 March 2013 - 03:01 AM.

ChD

ChD

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
  • Joined September 18, 2012
  • 61 topics
  • LocationHogwarts

I have a feeling that this will open around the 30M mark, but word of mouth will carry it past the 100M ...

From the last trailer, which I have seen just now, the movie looks very interesting and I'll be surely giving it a watch when it comes out in theaters.

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

35c3g42.jpg

Alpha

Alpha

• Premium Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts
  • 103 topics
  • LocationAmerica

Marketing over here is crazy. I see posters at bus stops, giant bill board at the ticket section of my local theater, lots of buzz where I'm at.

I don't know why Universal is marketing more OS than DOM. They can't just rely on overseas alone.

rsz_1b42ymrvimaa-yap.png

IN MEMORIAM

ChD

ChD

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts
  • Joined September 18, 2012
  • 61 topics
  • LocationHogwarts

I don't know why Universal is marketing more OS than DOM. They can't just rely on overseas alone.

OS is a stronger market... I think they realized that the movie doesn't open in quite a favorable part of the year, with all the big movies coming from the 4th of May... They know it's going to probably crash and burn, so they focus where they think they have a bigger shot.

"You can have all the faith in spirits and the afterlife, heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot, because you can tell that you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways."

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

35c3g42.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users