•  
  • Start New Topic

Photo

Social Network Futures: Will DESPICABLE ME 2 Explode on Fourth of July Weekend?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,402 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 465 topics

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Illumination Entertainment made a big name for itself three years ago when Despicable Me became one of summer 2010's biggest breakout hits. The original film not only opened to a strong $56.4 million, it also won over both critics and families in the long run. The film's $251.5 million domestic haul and exceptional 4.46 multiplier from its debut weekend guaranteed a sequel would be coming down the pike.

To the delight of Minion fans everywhere, that sequel is almost here.

Four weeks out from release, Despicable Me 2 is making a strong case on Twitter. Its five-day tweet total from June 5-9 was a whopping 884 percent higher than its predecessor during the comparable time period.

Given that film's lack of established recognition at the time, it's wiser to compare against other animated sequels. For example, the second Despicable's Twitter activity is 165 percent ahead of Cars 2, 252 percent ahead of Ice Age: Continental Drift, and 532 percent ahead of Kung Fu Panda 2. The Gru sequel even posted an 80 percent lead over Toy Story 3, but by the same token, Twitter's user base and the movie presence among it have expanded significantly since then.

Full article: http://www.boxoffice...despicable-me-2

Edited by ShawnMR, 11 June 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Save the Forums! Donation Campaign for Independent, Member-Funded Hosting

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

#2 CJohn

CJohn

Global Phenomenon

• General Moderator
  • 40,506 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 588 topics
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

I still think this will slightly disappoint.

Next 4 Weeks Predictions (Updates on Mondays and Thursdays):

- Horrible Bosses 2 - 23/37/85 | Penguins of Madagascar - 21/33/101

- The Pyramid - 5/11

- Exodus: Gods and Kings - 43/145 | Top Five - 4/9 

- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 61/94/292 | Night at the Museum 3 - 22/101 | Annie - 15/73

#3 kayumanggi

kayumanggi

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,113 posts
  • 145 topics
  • LocationPilipinas

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

I think this can win summer or be a close second.

happyphilippines.gif

#4 Jandrew In The Mist

Jandrew In The Mist

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,624 posts
  • Joined December 15, 2011
  • 13 topics
  • LocationThe Palmetto State

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Twitter is a tricky use. I used it for my $33M Purge and $80M Trek argument, but for a movie like DM2 and MU, its more tricky. I still see this finishing #2 for the summer and #3 for the year.

Act 3 Movies! Read here!

http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/

#5 ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,402 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 465 topics

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think this can win summer or be a close second.

Back in the early spring, I was a bit more skeptical and suspected it would stay flat (if not decrease a bit) from the original. I've come around, though. After seeing what Epic did, the great trailers for DM2 so far, and keeping in mind how popular the Minions are and the legs for the original were, this just feels like the event film of the summer for families.

Even if MoS does incredibly well, I think this could get runner-up for the summer--outside chance at topping IM3 if it's better/funnier than the original movie.

And if Monsters disappoints, I'll probably only keep increasing my expectations.

Save the Forums! Donation Campaign for Independent, Member-Funded Hosting

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

#6 kayumanggi

kayumanggi

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,113 posts
  • 145 topics
  • LocationPilipinas

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Back in the early spring, I was a bit more skeptical and suspected it would stay flat (if not decrease a bit) from the original. I've come around, though. After seeing what Epic did, the great trailers for DM2 so far, and keeping in mind how popular the Minions are and the legs for the original were, this just feels like the event film of the summer for families.

Even if MoS does incredibly well, I think this could get runner-up for the summer--outside chance at topping IM3 if it's better/funnier than the original movie.

And if Monsters disappoints, I'll probably only keep increasing my expectations.

This has the best release date IMO, tied with IRON MAN lll. The competition is just so easy imo.

happyphilippines.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users