kayumanggi

BIG HERO 6 | 435.3 M overseas | 657.8 M worldwide

If it's similar in quality to WiR then $350million OS. Europe will do roughly the same, slightly higher than WiR in Latin America and Asia. If it breaks out in key markets it could go beyond.

270 dom + 480 os = 750 ww

The goodwill from Frozen and the exposure of the teaser in front of Maleficient (witch is going to be a huge success) and the ever loyal Marvel fanboys combined with the families in the holiday season should help a lot.

• Like 1

I guess the best comparison will be Wreck it Ralph... though there should be at least a small boost due to "created by the people behind Frozen" ;)

so $300M to $400M OS?

Will have the Marvel name+Disney = more than WiR.

I guess the best comparison will be Wreck it Ralph... though there should be at least a small boost due to "created by the people behind Frozen" ;) so $300M to $400M OS?

450M+. They can easily use creator of Frozen and also Marvel in the taglines.

I think that "creators of Frozen" will be used in marketing for every Disney animated in next twenty years, but the question is: what do moviegoers expect from the creator of Frozen? Another female-centric musical or something totally different?

Will have the Marvel name+Disney = more than WiR.

yep... 400M OS would be 100M more than WiR. Also i am not 100% sure the marvel brand will be front and center in the marketing. At least the first teaser did not show the logo at all. I guess if the movie is really good it can do more... but that would probably be primarily on its own merits and not because it is based on a marvel property.

I think that "creators of Frozen" will be used in marketing for every Disney animated in next twenty years, but the question is: what do moviegoers expect from the creator of Frozen? Another female-centric musical or something totally different?

I would say they will expect quality family entertainment... irregardless of whether WDAS primarily targets the female or male demographic with their next films.

Btw, one thing that actually might help it especially in china now that i think about it is that it has a Robot character :)

BH6 has an early December 20th release date in Japan, which is terrible! No room to build any hype like Frozen had, which was released in March. Does Disney LIKE losing money?! :angry:

Edited by Mojoguy

BH6 has an early December 20th release date in Japan, which is terrible! No room to build any hype like Frozen had, which was released in March. Does Disney LIKE losing money?! :angry:

Frozen would have made its money regardless of its release date. Its opening weekend is by far the least impressive part of its run, the huge numbers came from WOM.

I believe that's actually a really good release date. Barring Frozen, the biggest films in Japan tend to open in either July or December.

I actually wonder how this will do in Japan, given the strong Japanese connections. I feel like this may be big in Asia but weak in Europe. I'd be happy if this passes 350M OS.

If there's general WDAS goodwill from Frozen, I could see this pushing into low-to-mid Pixar territory. If it earns something on par with The Incredibles' $50m, that'd be excellent for Japan.

If Frozen's just an extreme outlier, it may do less. Superheroes aren't especially popular in Japan, and even Pacific Rim didn't do spectacular numbers there.

*Original Computer Animation Total gross (Overseas only)

[Among the Top 50 animation list of North American box office] 

*More than $800m  
    Frozen    - $805,800,000

*More than $500m  

Finding Nemo - $555,900,000

*More than $400m 

UP        - $438,338,580
 Ratatouille  - $417,277,164
Kung Fu Panda - $416,309,969
Puss in Boots - $405,726,973
 The Croods   - $400,036,243

*More than $300m
  Tangled     - $390,973,000
The Incredibles-$370,001,000
  Madagascar  - $339,085,150
   Brave      - $301,700,000

*More than $200m 

WALL-E     - $297,503,696
 Despicable Me- $291,600,000
Wreck-It Ralph- $281,800,000
   HTTYD      - $277,297,528
 Monster Inc. - $272,900,000
   Cars       - $217,900,167
   Shrek      - $216,744,207      
  Ice Age     - $206,869,731
 Shark Tale   - $206,413,111
The Lego Movie- $206,400,000 
 A Bug's Life - $200,600,000

*More than $100m 

Happy Feet  - $186,335,291
Over the Hedge- $180,983,656 
Mon vs Aliens - $183,158,344
  Megamind    - $173,469,912
  Toy Story   - $170,162,503
Dr.seuss'Horton-$142,608,575
 The Lorax    - $134,809,816
Polar Express - $124,140,582 

*Etc                            
         Rio         -$341,015,951 
Hotel Tranylvania    -$210,062,555 
Rise of the Guardians-$203,528,912
         Bolt        -$195,926,415
      Mr. Peabody    -$157,287,017
        Rango        -$122,246,996

Maximum - $500m

Minimum - $270m
Edited by Hans13
  • Like 1

Not terrible at all. March release is good yeah, but in this case, December release is as good as March. Like DamienRoc said, the biggest movies were released in July or Nov/Dec. Before Frozen, I think only 2 movies released in March made more than $50m (correct me if I'm wrong), while a lot of movies released in December made more than $50m or even $100m. Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Up were released in December, and all of them made more than 5b yen ($50m).

Also, unlike Frozen, I don't think BH6 needs time to build the hype. It will have goodwill from Frozen, and the setting and theme are more familiar to Japanese than Frozen. It's also not a musical so it doesn't need to promote the songs before the movie was released like Frozen did. So I think Disney will not lose money here. ;)