iceroll

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 OS Thread | 415m OS, 751m WW

I'm skeptical about $500M. Probably not that high. My guesstimate a year ago was $465M and I'm sticking with that. What's trickier is the NA gross. I'm sure everyone betting on a decrease from CF but they were also betting on a decrease of CF from THG. Who knows...

It may drop in US but remember some international markets are a bit slow in adapting to franchises plus China and a few developing countries grow a lot on a year to year basis. That may influence the OS result

It may drop in US but remember some international markets are a bit slow in adapting to franchises plus China and a few developing countries grow a lot on a year to year basis. That may influence the OS result

While the Chinese market as a whole is growing quickly, this franchise is stagnant so far. Mockingjay will have to change this somehow to see growth in China.

While the Chinese market as a whole is growing quickly, this franchise is stagnant so far. Mockingjay will have to change this somehow to see growth in China.

Franchise is stagnant in what sense? Remember some countries didn't embrace CF as much as they could. That's where the growth could come from. - the countries that adapt slowly to franchises.

Franchise is stagnant in what sense? Remember some countries didn't embrace CF as much as they could. That's where the growth could come from. - the countries that adapt slowly to franchises.

Stagnant in the sense that despite almost every sequel increasing a lot in China, Catching Fire made about as much as the original Hunger Games.

Stagnant in the sense that despite almost every sequel increasing a lot in China, Catching Fire made about as much as the original Hunger Games.

So stagnang IN CHINA. You didn't add that so I was surprised. Yeah. That's a surprise though that means there is place to grow. That depends if the movie looks bombastic enough since big effects work there good for bo. If it isn't it may stay still

• Like 1

I've heard (read) many people mention that Latin America wasn't as strong as expected for Catching Fire. However, let me offer a different view:

NEKcW2Y.jpg

As you can see, all Latin American countries are in top half of the chart i.e. they had a higher % increase than most other territories. (no. 52 is Japan, which is the last one and the only one that decreased). Only Brazil is in the bottom half and that can be attributed to its depreciating currency, which had a much lower value in November 2013 than in March/April 2012 (20% decrease during the aforementioned period).

It could be possible that Mockingjay will see similar increases again. But any increase really could only help the overseas gross go higher than it was for the second one. Besides, one-and-a-half years (between Hunger Games and Mockingjay) isn't enough for a franchise to reach its full potential.

Then again, if we think about the Twilight Saga, that reached its full potential with the second film (with the exception of the last film, the overseas gross of which can be attributed to the "final film" effect).

• Like 1

It's still grossing over a 1 billion tho. Its final result might be muted, but it's highly unlikely it falls under that benchmark, given the former history of what the grosses are of final installments in the franchises.

• Like 1