pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

I think we should wait for a trailer before making calls. I'm not sure how anyone can predict with confidence that it will increase after we saw DoS decrease OS from AUJ.

Last movie reason. Even Twilight increased in its last chapter. And enormous battle...

Last movie reason. Even Twilight increased in its last chapter. And enormous battle...

It doesn't always happen. Matrix revolutions was the lowest grossing of the series, same with back to the future, the mummy series, the hangover, Jurassic park they all decreased in their third film.

I get the feeling that generally people are losing interest in middle earth. the quality of the film and pre-release hype will be very important. 

• Like 1

It doesn't always happen. Matrix revolutions was the lowest grossing of the series, same with back to the future, the mummy series, the hangover, Jurassic park they all decreased in their third film.

I get the feeling that generally people are losing interest in middle earth. the quality of the film and pre-release hype will be very important. [/quote

Most of these are poor examples. Also overseas The Mummy 3 actually was the highest grossing of the three for some reason

I think we should wait for a trailer before making calls. I'm not sure how anyone can predict with confidence that it will increase after we saw DoS decrease OS from AUJ. 

Peter Jackson can deliver the money shots consistently. So the trailer would look incredible as always. But would audience go along with Gandalf & co. now that the 2nd movie is a bit, a bit disappointing.

• Like 1

A bit flawed maybe but they prove that the final movie of a series doesn't always increase just because it's the final. I'm in no way or form saying that it's what's going to happen to battle of five armies though, but that we should all wait for a trailer to make a more educated guess. I'm sure we can all agree to that :)

I think it will stay in the same ballpark. I would say 750M. Only China has potential for good increase. Rest will gross around the same. it will bomb in Japan.

Meh, it already bomb in japan, TWO TIMES. (this is getting borring) I think it's time for something diferent: maby a frozen run or something XD :P

Edited by pepsa

It doesn't always happen. Matrix revolutions was the lowest grossing of the series, same with back to the future, the mummy series, the hangover, Jurassic park they all decreased in their third film.I get the feeling that generally people are losing interest in middle earth. the quality of the film and pre-release hype will be very important.

It is not the same case. All of those examples you mentioned are franchises built since the success of the first film. The first one worked so let's make more money. In this case we all knew that there would be 3 movies. DOS is the middle chapter, with no beginning and final. It is logical to drop (TTT dropped too in admissions relative to FOTR. It is just exchange rates were much more favorable). Last movie with battles and a true ending shoould rebound a bit.

It is not the same case. All of those examples you mentioned are franchises built since the success of the first film. The first one worked so let's make more money. In this case we all knew that there would be 3 movies. DOS is the middle chapter, with no beginning and final. It is logical to drop (TTT dropped too in admissions relative to FOTR. It is just exchange rates were much more favorable). Last movie with battles and a true ending shoould rebound a bit.

Well the hobbit being a single book should never have been a trilogy in the first place so who knows whether people will be interested in it enough to care about the last installment. It's not as if a huge wave of expectation has been built up over the course of the series.

Well the hobbit being a single book should never have been a trilogy in the first place so who knows whether people will be interested in it enough to care about the last installment. It's not as if a huge wave of expectation has been built up over the course of the series.

Well, Deathly Hallows and Breaking Dawn are single books and 2 movies were made for both. In both cases, the final movie increased considerably. To know if it is a good decission to split one book is another debate.

In the USA I think it will open about the same with DoS maby a bit lower or a bit higher but not much. So if PJ just makes sure the battle is as awesome like in ROTK and TTT and a great clossier with smaug we can have better legs. I realy hope, but STILL WAIT ON THE ******* FIRST TRAILER.....

Well, Deathly Hallows and Breaking Dawn are single books and 2 movies were made for both. In both cases, the final movie increased considerably. To know if it is a good decission to split one book is another debate.

Well I have no opinion on the twilight series, I haven't read or watched a single one. Harry potter I could understand because each volume is so thick it's hard to put enough details in a single 2 hour movie. It was a common complaint I had with the harry potter series up to book 6 and I'm glad they split the seventh it was a much better film for it and the box office reflects that. 

About the Hobbit, I've read the book and it's not really that long in comparison, not enough to warrant a trilogy certainly, and the running time seems so bloated in each installment. So while splitting DH might have been warranted and justified even, I don't feel nearly the same way about the hobbit. 

Again, I'm not really against Hobbit 3 nor do I think it will decrease for certain I'm just highlighting the possibility.