pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

Nice! Im so glad that it reached 700m OS.

So what should BOTFA made when using 2011, AUJ's, DOS's exchange rates?

Also, is $954m WW considered a massive box office hit, or just mediocre?

Could it still reach 705m OS?

I dont see a final update of 5m. With previous year's exchange rates it would have crossed the billion. Maybe even passing AUJ. Peludo knows this things better.

• Like 1

It is difficult to know since I do not have data of every country, but extrapolating what AUJ and DOS would have done today, we have this:

With AUJ exchange rates:

AUJ: 1.017 billion

DOS: 976 million

BOFA: 1.080 billion

With DOS exchange rates:

AUJ: 1.002 billion

DOS: 960 million

BOFA: 1.064 billion

With today exchange rates:

AUJ: 898 million

DOS: 857 million

BOFA: 954 million

Anyway, to doubt about this is a great result has no sense. We had already asumed that Hobbit was not going to make what some of us said in 2012, so the result is quite good taking into account the previous two films. With exchange rates dropping like a rock (euro can have a lower value than dollar this year), it will be hard to reach the billion. This year I just see TA2 and SW7. For other movies will be VERY hard.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 2

It is difficult to know since I do not have data of every country, but extrapolating what AUJ and DOS would have done today, we have this:

With AUJ exchange rates:

AUJ: 1.017 billion

DOS: 976 million

BOFA: 1.080 billion

With DOS exchange rates:

AUJ: 1.002 billion

DOS: 960 million

BOFA: 1.064 billion

With today exchange rates:

AUJ: 898 million

DOS: 857 million

BOFA: 954 million

Anyway, to doubt about this is a great result has no sense. We had already asumed that Hobbit was not going to make what some of us said in 2012, so the result is quite good taking into account the previous two films. With exchange rates dropping like a rock (euro can have a lower value than dollar this year), it will be hard to reach the billion. This year I just see TA2 and SW7. For other movies will be VERY hard.

Wow. Didnt realize with last year exchange rates BOTFA would have outgross DOS by a full 100m. The fact is, the biggest ticket seller overall in the franchise is Hobbit 3. And lots of people consider that a big disappointment. Makes zero sense. Not many third movies in a trilogy were capable of outgross the previous.

And yeah, people arent taking into account the exchange rates to make their predictions. The movies very european skewed will suffer the most. For example, is Avengers 2 really gonna outgross the first one in Europe? I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Wow. Didnt realize with last year exchange rates BOTFA would have outgross DOS by a full 100m. The fact is, the biggest ticket seller overall in the franchise is Hobbit 3. And lots of people consider that a big disappointment. Makes zero sense. Not many third movies in a trilogy were capable of outgross the previous.

And yeah, people arent taking into account the exchange rates to make their predictions. The movies very european skewed will suffer the most. For example, is Avengers 2 really gonna outgross the first one in Europe? I'm not sure.

Domestically it is a disappointment. Overseas though it did well. Like I said its nice to see overseas audiences give huge numbers to a lot more movies than domestic does .

My calculations are not exact. It can go up or down. But I think it can be a good approximation. Looking at final results and the adjust with current exchange rates, we have that if we quit US and China (yuan has barely changed in last 2 years), I get these results for OS markets excepting China:

BOFA: 954-254 (US)-125 (China)= $575m

AUJ: 898-303-50 = 545

DOS: 857-258-75 = 524

Concerning Avengers, you are right. It will increase in admissions but it can be not enough to outgross TA. We could have an Euro 20-25% weaker than in 2012 April-May period.

• Like 1

My calculations are not exact. It can go up or down. But I think it can be a good approximation. Looking at final results and the adjust with current exchange rates, we have that if we quit US and China (yuan has barely changed in last 2 years), I get these results for OS markets excepting China:

BOFA: 954-254 (US)-125 (China)= $575m

AUJ: 898-303-50 = 545

DOS: 857-258-75 = 524

Concerning Avengers, you are right. It will increase in admissions but it can be not enough to outgross TA. We could have an Euro 20-25% weaker than in 2012 April-May period.

Have any idea how Hunger Games Mockingjay looks compared to the first two with the same exchange rate ?

Have any idea how Hunger Games Mockingjay looks compared to the first two with the same exchange rate ?

With Mockingjay exchange rates:

THG: 254 OS / 662 WW

CF: 400 OS / 824 WW

MJ1: 415 OS / 751 WW

• Like 3

thanks and also what would you say would have been the overseas numbers alone for the previous two Hobbit's with today's exchange rates?

Just take my previous post:

AUJ: 898 WW - 303 DOM = $595m OS

DOS: 857 WW - 258 DOM = $599m OS

BOFA: 954 WW - 254 DOM = $700m OS

The so huge difference is because so different China's gross for each film, where exchange rate barely changes.