Fullbuster

Cinderella (2015) OS Thread

I really don't understand exchange rates... what's that even about and how is it affecting Cinderella?

US Dollar is pretty strong these days so the amount a movie is making in US$ is less than what it was last year for the same number of tickets sold in Europe, Latin America and Asian markets. $400 million overseas will be very, very good for Cinderella.

• Like 4

Russia is the No. 2 market for the Kenneth Branagh-helmed charmer with $7.3M, followed by Mexico ($5M), Italy ($4.6M) and Germany ($2.1M) to round out the Top 5.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/cinderella-international-box-office-china-biggest-march-opening-disney-1201392972/

• Like 2

Fine openings in Russia, Mexico and Italy. Good in China, but that Germany number seems awfully low even with the exchange rate shit.

This looks like a 300-350m OS film to me.

Edited by picores
  • Like 2

It's a fairy tale. Isn't supposed to do huge in Europe countries including Germany ?

I think it depends.

I only know Germans who like/love (not all of them) fantasy... seemingly a bit above the average worldwide GA, but not at the same time also really like/love the 'sweet/nice' versions of some of the fairy tale movies.

Fairy tales:

Cinderella is based on a rather old fairy tale, that exists since a long time in several European countries

It got famous / much loved here in Germany through the Brothers Grimm collections (their first fairy tale book was from early '1800', the others ~ 1810-1820, but they collected also hero sagas from way back...) and another collection, but per oral tells it was known earlier on too (depends a bit on the region)

So here the name of the Cinderella story is called here since at least ~ 200 years mostly Aschenputtel or caused by another author's book also Aschenbrödel

The Cinderella version of Disney is a 'bit' varying to our version.

People who still know the animated Disney version might remember it as 'that Disney version' = not bad meant, only as in not matching to 'our' version. The younger audience might only know the Disney version, that I do not know.

I think Cinderella will be here too a big success, but a live version more looking like 'reality', more matching to the German version it might have gotten a bigger OW.

What WOM it will get I do not know, it might develop.

Just for fun a bit background about our and another country's version, in case someone is interested:

'We' (not me) do watch a lot a Czechoslovakia/Eastern Germany movie version at X-Mas, their version has 3 magic hazel nuts as helpers (each for one ~ big wish), an additional owl... and have horse rides included = Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel (1973) is probably a mix glitter/shiny-wise... between our old version and the Disney versions.  For the German understanding ables: an interesting (to me) ~ making-of docu is at YT to find Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel - Die Geheimnisse (Dokumentarfilm)

Sie nahmen ihm seine schönen Kleider weg, zogen ihm einen grauen, alten Kittel an und gaben ihm hölzerne Schuhe

They took away ~ her beautiful clothes away and put her in a gray old smock and gave 'her' wooden (worker) shoes

No horse ... no early meeting... no good fairy (special hazel bush and speaking doves and many birds), ash on face, clothes and hands...

That pic shows an older illustration of Aschenputtel with her court acceptable / good clothes. Oh, and the shoes are not out of glass, but gold. ;)

05_cinderella_-_aschenputtel.jpg

• Like 3

So nice results everywhere, but not from Germany (so far). :mellow:

But yes, it might develop. And the Easter holidays start in (almost all states) in 10 days, that should help.

Insidekino predicts now 1.250k admissions, Maleficent had 1.509.551. So not much difference. The current exchange rate is mostly to blame for the not too good $-numbers and perhaps Maleficent had more adult viewers, who had to pay more (thanks to A. Jolie and as terrestrial said, the not sweet tone).

• Like 1

I'm surprised Cinderella is performing really strong in Asia. I thought this would be more "European" than "Asian", especially since it's more like a period-fantasy than action-fantasy like Maleficent. They said here in Indonesia it's the biggest ever opening weekend for a Disney Live Action production. Which means it's higher than Maleficent, and that movie was huge last year. It's also big in China and I have a feeling it's gonna be big in Japan as well.

• Like 1