Star-Lord

Update: Sony Japan wants Deal for Spider-man joining the Marvel Universe (last post)

Shock factor.

But the only reason it was far more shocking in the comics was because Gwen was the first major character in superhero comics to bite it (way back in 1973, before it became a fad to kill off major characters in comics, especially women and love interests). Plus, the original story was way more effective and touching because Mary Jane was already a big factor in Peter and Gwen's lives by that point and she transformed from a minor scene stealing character to the love interest thanks to Gwen's death. MJ needed to be there in the TASM films for Gwen's death to have a bigger impact (Nobody ever wanted the missing parents subplot!). The scene where Peter thrashes Harry for it shouldn't have been cut. Sony dropped the ball on what could have been the most tragic superhero movie of all time.

It's a testament to Webb, Garfield and Stone that there managed to be some kind of impact despite such a mediocre script for a great story.

I totally agree. I have no idea why Sony wants to rush these stories or jam them into one film. Look at SM3. They could have had Peter in the costume the whole movie, have it take him over so at the end he nearly kills Harry or does something more viscous and inline with the comics then the very finally battle would be him removing the suit. At the end credits have in a scene of Brock in church and the Venom suit dripping on him. Done.----THEN----you could have a SM4 that would feature Venom as the only villain and make him much more effective. Not just a last minute throw away villain.  In ASM2 its the same thing with Harry and his Goblin transformation. I seriously thought the movie was over when Eletro was destroyed. Then I was like --WTF? They're seriously going to do this GG crap? 

Sony and all of the people in charge of Spidey have there heads up their A$$e$.

Edited by Rufus Magillicutty
  • Like 1