Ezen Baklattan

Independent Spirit Awards - Nominations Announced

It's always fun at the start of awards season when I've seen none of the movies getting awarded and then I finally see 'em and it's like "seriously? that?"

Most awards movies are over-rated as fuck. IMO, No Country For Old Men is the last truly great Best Picture winner. Everything else since then has been underwhelming.

Most awards movies are over-rated as fuck. IMO, No Country For Old Men is the last truly great Best Picture winner. Everything else since then has been underwhelming.

Eh..... It really wasn't. It wasn't even the greatest of the year. 

You'd have to go back 20+ years to find a movie I thought was the best of the year that actually won. Generally I'm just pleased when something good wins.

Yeah. I'm thinking TKS was the last time my favourite won and then looking back it'd be a good few decades. I'm thinking and the only one that pops to mind rn is Amadeus, but I'm pretty sure there's a more recent one. 

I'm very happy they nominated Marion Cotillard for The Immigrant (possibly my favorite performance of the year so far), but then that film should have been present in nearly every category. 

This could be the second year in a row the same four actors win here and at the Oscars. Moore, Simmons and Arquette are all present here, and so are Keaton and Oyelowo so as long as Cumberbatch doesn't win the Oscar that should happen. 

Hope Boyhood wins the four it can realistically win (i.e. all of them except Supporting Actor). 

You'd have to go back 20+ years to find a movie I thought was the best of the year that actually won. Generally I'm just pleased when something good wins.

Mine was back in 2010 with the Hurt Locker, but my pick also won in 2008 and 2001.

My personal wins 

2014 - Gravity (so close)

2013 - Life of Pi (also close, second place)

2012 - The Descendants (however 2011 was so weak I really didn't care)

2011 - The Social Network (second place)

2010 - The Hurt Locker

2009 - Wall-E (Slumdog was my favorite of the noms, however it wasn't like that said much)

2008 - No Country For Old Men

2007 - Children of Men (Departed was my favorite of the noms though)

2006 - A History of Violence

2005 - Before Sunset

2004 - Finding Nemo (Return of the King was my second though)

2003 - City of God

2002 - Fellowship of the Ring

2001 - Gladiator

Oh wow, Im shocked they didn't nominated Birdman for editing.  That lowers its Oscar prospects if it couldn't get in here.

Also, no nominations for Inherent Vice or Foxcatchers although they did get special awards.

Also, absolutely nothing for the Imitation Game.  I even checked to see if it was eligible and it was, they completely shut it out.

Edited by The Panda

Oh wow, Im shocked they didn't nominated Birdman for editing. That lowers its Oscar prospects if it couldn't get in here.

Also, no nominations for Inherent Vice or Foxcatchers although they did get special awards.

Also, absolutely nothing for the Imitation Game. I even checked to see if it was eligible and it was, they completely shut it out.

Inherent Vice and Foxcatcher were both ineligible and also Imitation Game we're not sure. It doesn't actually fulfill any of the eligibility criteria, but it's Harvey, he could get TDK eligible if he wanted.

So what makes a movie eligible or ineligible in this mess of an Award show ?

Selma, produced by Oprah and Pitt and distributed by Paramount is an indie ?

Is this just a question of budget ?

Their criteria seem very arbitrary to me ...

So what makes a movie eligible or ineligible in this mess of an Award show ?

Selma, produced by Oprah and Pitt and distributed by Paramount is an indie ?

Is this just a question of budget ?

Their criteria seem very arbitrary to me ...

Both budget and Americanism are the main determining factors. Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

Inherent Vice and Foxcatcher were both ineligible and also Imitation Game we're not sure. It doesn't actually fulfill any of the eligibility criteria, but it's Harvey, he could get TDK eligible if he wanted.

https://deadline.com/2014/11/indie-spirit-nominations-preview-likely-oscar-contenders-but-whats-up-with-that-imitation-game-shutout-1201296792/

Deadline mentions it was eligible. They just shut it out