Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

Okay-well Loud and Close still made it in, so something odd could make it in this year. (Remember-Four Weddings was nominated when there was just 5 nominations....probably the most made fun of nomination in the past 30 years...)

I'm not banking on a Hobbit nomination just yet (or TDKR). Both have an insanely high level of expectations to live up to, and the Academy has already shown it doesn't fully "get" Nolan and his work.Meanwhile, Jackson has already won everything he can and matching LOTR in quality -- in the eyes of older voters especially -- is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible. But, hey, if it turns out great...at least they like him. :lol:

The Hobbit will get a Best Picture nomination -- and many others (see: Hugo) -- so long as it's great. The fantasy world won't put off the Academy (see: LOTR).TDKR has to do a few things to get the Best Picture nomination IMO: top TDK (not easy) and kill Batman (even harder).

Assuming the current rules stay in place The MasterLincoln Django UnchainedLes MiserablesThe HobbitThe Dark Knight RisesGravityI think after this year, and the low ratings the show will probably get, there's going to be the same talk that seems to happen every few years about how more popular films need to get nominated, which should get TDKR and TH in as long as both of them live up to expectations.

Surrogate seems like a sure thing for acting noms, but I don't know about picture. Beats of the Southern Wild has a chance but it feels like one of those movies that everyone loves at Sundance, but then doesn't stack up well against the true heavyweights of the year. Obviously I haven't seen either one though so who really knows.

I'm not banking on a Hobbit nomination just yet (or TDKR). Both have an insanely high level of expectations to live up to, and the Academy has already shown it doesn't fully "get" Nolan and his work.

Meanwhile, Jackson has already won everything he can and matching LOTR in quality -- in the eyes of older voters especially -- is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible. But, hey, if it turns out great...at least they like him. :lol:

I would hate for the Hobbit to lose for that reason. If it is the best movie of the year, it deserves to win.

Lincoln looks masterful from early word out of production, DDL is a better choice than Liam Neeson anywaysThe Hobbit and TDKR are the 2 blockbuster, high box office movies that have a shot at a nomDjango Unchained, The Master are good early Weinstein choices as well

Edited by GiantCALBears