Welcome to Box Office Theory Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Disney's Frozen | $400m Domestic! | Highest Grossing Animation of All Time! | Number 1 Movie WW of 2013!!!

disney

• Please log in to reply
11979 replies to this topic

WileECoyote

WileECoyote

Blockbuster

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts
  • Joined June 16, 2012
  • 11 topics
  • LocationChasing the roadrunner...

I like to dream big. WOM is through the roof and with no family competition, I expect it to stay in the mid-high teens through New years weekend.With Tangled legs it gets to 285M+ and it has held better than Tangled pretty much throughout it's run. 300M becomes a lock if it drops under 30% this weekend and with the holds it has had this week, I would be shocked if it drops more than 30%. Don't worry you'll come around, when it only drops 15-20% this weekend. ;) :P :)

This weeks holds already makes me believe 300 is in play, though not a lock. Give me another two - three weeks of epic holds and I'll move to 300 as a lock with 350 in play :)
  • Walt Disney and mahnamahna like this

Dingdong123

Dingdong123

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Joined June 22, 2013
  • 0 topics

Mess. Frozen isn't part of the 114 movies that are in contention of the Academy's Original Score nominees.

http://www.deadline....rom-114-movies/

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,005 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 267 topics
  • LocationLV426

Mess. Frozen isn't part of the 114 movies that are in contention of the Academy's Original Score nominees.http://www.deadline....rom-114-movies/

Frozen had a great score!!!

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

Stanning for Stannis

• Premium Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 113 topics
  • LocationOff Calibrating

Frozen had a great score!!!

And scores that base the instrumental compositions off of the song music are ineligible. This renders most musicals ineligible since the incidental music is mostly derived from the song music.

• Spidey Freak and mahnamahna like this

Every poster shall reap what they have sown, from the highest administrator to the lowest thread troll. And some will lose more than the likes off their profiles, I promise you. They have made my forum bleed, and I do not forget that.

COME WITNESS THE COUNTDOWN OF BOF'S TOP 100 VIDEO GAMES

Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,005 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2011
  • 267 topics
  • LocationLV426

And scores that base the instrumental compositions off of the song music are ineligible. This renders most musicals ineligible since the incidental music is mostly derived from the song music.

Ah. Although I still love the score, especially near the end.

Hobbit 3 will be lucky to hit $240m

ban1o

ban1o

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2013
  • 3 topics
  • LocationCanada

Did they change the rule to that in the early 2000s? I remember in the nineties the renaissance films swept the original score section. 

yjs

yjs

Indie Sensation

• Free Account
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined December 05, 2013
  • 0 topics
  • LocationSeoul

Did they change the rule to that in the early 2000s? I remember in the nineties the renaissance films swept the original score section. 

that was the reason why they changed the rule. Alan Menken kept winning them.

• mahnamahna likes this

tribefan695

tribefan695

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,182 posts
  • 137 topics

It makes some sense. If your score is based on the songs it's not technically "original", is it?

JqdcLDa.gif

Dingdong123

Dingdong123

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Joined June 22, 2013
  • 0 topics

Well I thought Disney would be aware of that rule since they are actually pushing it for Original Score.

Stanning for Stannis

• Premium Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,818 posts
  • 113 topics
  • LocationOff Calibrating

that was the reason why they changed the rule. Alan Menken kept winning them.

Yep. They wanted to open things up a bit. But it also makes sense. If the regular instrumental music is derived from the cues of the songs, then you're really awarding the song music and not anything else.

• mahnamahna likes this

Every poster shall reap what they have sown, from the highest administrator to the lowest thread troll. And some will lose more than the likes off their profiles, I promise you. They have made my forum bleed, and I do not forget that.

COME WITNESS THE COUNTDOWN OF BOF'S TOP 100 VIDEO GAMES

Walt Disney

Walt Disney

Blockbuster

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 55 topics
  • LocationThe Castle

Mess. Frozen isn't part of the 114 movies that are in contention of the Academy's Original Score nominees.

http://www.deadline....rom-114-movies/

Interesting list. Disney has Randy Newman in the running for Monsters University and Thomas Newman in the running for Saving Mr. Banks. It's good to see that Saving Mr. Banks had enough of an original score to differentiate itself from the music in Mary Poppins. I remember that there was a concern that the score might have been to similar to Mary Poppins to be eligible. I am glad that isn't the case.

Also, good to see that Danny Elfman was on the list for Oz: The Great and Powerful. Hopefully, a few Disney original scores get nominated.

Even though Frozen seems to be ineligible, it should be eligible for best original song.

• Fifdddeee Shadddeees and mahnamahna like this

Spidey Freak

Spidey Freak

Blockbuster

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts
  • Joined February 27, 2013
  • 2 topics
  • Location616

Yep. They wanted to open things up a bit. But it also makes sense. If the regular instrumental music is derived from the cues of the songs, then you're really awarding the song music and not anything else.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Now I can focus my bitching on the Academy's "2 songs max per movie" rule for Best Song nominations and the Globes' stupid "A movie can only compete in one of Animation/Comedy/Musical etc." rule. :P

• ban1o likes this

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

InterStellan

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,491 posts
  • 98 topics
  • LocationUnstuck in Time.
The Golden Globe rule barring animated films in the picture categories is one of the dumbest things ever.
  • Empire, Michael Gary Scottt, Blankments and 2 others like this

BOF Presents: Les Sympathiques! The Broadway Classic in a Whole New Way!

http://forums.boxoff...lank-on-parole/

Empire

Empire

The Force Awakens

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,679 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 0 topics
  • LocationIllinois

The Golden Globe rule barring animated films in the picture categories is one of the dumbest things ever.

Yeah, its stupid and makes no sense.

:angry:

• Spidey Freak likes this

iCEJ8mj.gif

Spidey Freak

Spidey Freak

Blockbuster

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,222 posts
  • Joined February 27, 2013
  • 2 topics
  • Location616

I understood it as the animated movie having to forfeit its chance to compete in the animated movie category in order to compete for one of the Best Film categories and likewise. Like The Wind Rises choosing the Best Foreign Language Film category over Best Animated Film and Frozen choosing Best Animated Film over Best Comedy/Musical. Still dumb as hell though.

Edited by Spidey Freak, 13 December 2013 - 03:41 PM.

• Empire likes this

yjs

yjs

Indie Sensation

• Free Account
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • 0 topics
  • LocationSeoul

However, even if it had been eligible Frozen would not have been nominated given how HFPA only gives nods to pictures that have only slight comedy/musical elements. the nominees this year are indeed amazing films but the category itself doesn't make any sense. I mean, Hustle, Wolf, Llewyn. Nebraska and Her? what's the point of having the category anyway. I would say even This is the End would have fit better.

• Empire likes this

Empire

Empire

The Force Awakens

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,679 posts
  • 0 topics
  • LocationIllinois

However, even if it had been eligible Frozen would not have been nominated given how HFPA only gives nods to pictures that have only slight comedy/musical elements. the nominees this year are indeed amazing films but the category itself doesn't make any sense. I mean, Hustle, Wolf, Llewyn. Nebraska and Her? what's the point of having the category anyway. I would say even This is the End would have fit better.

Yeah, none of the films nominated are a Comedy or a Musical. It is a joke really.

• yjs likes this

iCEJ8mj.gif

tribefan695

tribefan695

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,182 posts
  • 137 topics

What does one define a comedy as? Is it just having a substantial amount of humor, or should it also mean having a certain thematic lightness? Allegedly the five nominees are much more humorous than the others, so it would be difficult to lump them together with something really heavy like 12 Years a Slave.

JqdcLDa.gif

yjs

yjs

Indie Sensation

• Free Account
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • 0 topics
  • LocationSeoul

What does one define a comedy as? Is it just having a substantial amount of humor, or should it also mean having a certain thematic lightness? Allegedly the five nominees are much more humorous than the others, so it would be difficult to lump them together with something really heavy like 12 Years a Slave.

yeah it could be true, but for me it looks all kinda random. why is American Hustle or Lllewyn Davis is in comedy/Musical but why not Mr. Banks or Blue Jasmine? think they should just have one big best picture category consists of 10.

Empire

Empire

The Force Awakens

• Gold Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,679 posts
  • 0 topics
  • LocationIllinois

For me it would be defined by what section I would find the movie in a video rental store. I don't think any of the 5 films nominated would be in the Comdey section.

:huh:

• mahnamahna likes this

iCEJ8mj.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users