MovieGuyKyle17

Early Friday results...

There is no THG vs DH2. DH2 gross was just a benchmark.Qualitatively, HP1 is the movie which should be compared with THG since it is the franchise-setter. HG finale should be compared with DH2.

The only reason why "there is no THG vs DH2" because THG is going to pass DH2, which you said would NEVER happen. Get over it.
  • Like 3

There is no THG vs DH2. DH2 gross was just a benchmark.Qualitatively, HP1 is the movie which should be compared with THG since it is the franchise-setter. HG finale should be compared with DH2.

What I don't understand is how there is such a deep divide between Sorcerer's Stone and the rest of the series. Not just from movie grosses, tickets sold, but on books sold. Sorcerer's Stone is the only one in the entire series to have 100M+ copies in print. The rest are in the 75-85M range. Its the smallest book, yet it seems to be the most popular. I personally thought the later books - OOTP, HBP and DH were better written, but they didn't even come close to the amount of copies sold for SS.

What I don't understand is how there is such a deep divide between Sorcerer's Stone and the rest of the series. Not just from movie grosses, tickets sold, but on books sold. Sorcerer's Stone is the only one in the entire series to have 100M+ copies in print. The rest are in the 75-85M range. Its the smallest book, yet it seems to be the most popular. I personally thought the later books - OOTP, HBP and DH were better written, but they didn't even come close to the amount of copies sold for SS.

Well just in longevity, if you showed a comparison in how much in sold within the same timespan, Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows would definitely be up there. And remember there WAS a huge wait between the fourth and fifth book that waned interested slightly.I've always been under the belief that Harry Potter was really helped out by being the first major blockbuster to come out after 9/11; families and everyone was still a little shook up from everything and the notion of being able to escape from reality and go into this magical world was just want the country needed. It's the same reason Fellowship of the Ring was received so well: an escape from reality.

Since it's the first one in the series, that's the one everyone reads, but only a small number actually make it to the end of the series.

People always start with the first book and as time goes on people realize the series isn't for them and don't continue.

4 new openers. 4 new bombs.Relativity still has little idea on how to release a film. Immortals & Miror Mirror easily could have gone higher. The Raven could have at least pulled in From Hell numbers.Pirates! had a nice print campaign, and the trailers were expertly placed, but Aardman has only really successfully made one hit for the States.Didn't even know Safe was being released. Should've opened earlier in the year, maybe. Dunno.

It's sad that Pirates! is doing so poorly in the States (and mediocre OS), it really is an entertaining, funny and visually gorgeous film. And the fact that Madagascar 3 will triple it's numbers doesn't help much.. :angry:

Edited by Jack Nevada

Is the HP1 vs. THG debate really worth bringing up? HP1 is over 10 years old. The BO has changed a lot since then. 50m admissions is a lot tougher now than it was back then. To put it in perspective, THG will be the first 50m ticket seller since Avatar.Fake, we get it. You love HP beyond belief and defend it at every turn. But, you gotta let it go. You sound like a broken record player at this point.

• Like 2

Didn't even know Safe was being released. Should've opened earlier in the year, maybe. Dunno.

Statham is closer to the direct-to-DVD market for every new release.

Is the HP1 vs. THG debate really worth bringing up? HP1 is over 10 years old. The BO has changed a lot since then. 50m admissions is a lot tougher now than it was back then. To put it in perspective, THG will be the first 50m ticket seller since Avatar.Fake, we get it. You love HP beyond belief and defend it at every turn. But, you gotta let it go. You sound like a broken record player at this point.

I only brought that up because someone said THG will massacre DH2 in admissions.....THG had LOTS of casual viewers... DH2 mostly had hardcore fanbase.

I only brought that up because someone said THG will massacre DH2 in admissions.....THG had LOTS of casual viewers... DH2 mostly had hardcore fanbase.

I don't think that's true. DH2 had plenty of interest of casual moviegoers. It sold about 7m more tickets than DH1 did. The finale factor brought back people that weren't necessarily watching some of the later entries that had slowly diminishing ticket sales.And THG looks to finish right in the middle of HP1 and DH2 in ticket sales so this debate is pointless.