Impact

What 2012 Film will have the most Oscar nominations?

34 members have voted

1. 1. What 2012 film will have the most nominations?

• The Hobbit
    • Les Miserbeles
    • Life of Pi
    • Lincoln
    • Silver Linings Playbook
    • Other film

No. Oscar rules prevent someone from being nominated twice in a single year.

That's such a bullshit rule, but yeah, even if that rule wasn't around it still wouldn't happen.Oh, also WB are campaigning Hathaway as a lead in DKR. Good luck with that one guys...

Well a lot of it goes back to the 30s where people would star in over 5 films a year.Of course there was the guy in the 40s who was nominated twice for the same role. That was later prevented from ever happening again.

So is there a chance that Hathaway could get nominated twice is Supporting Actress?

Nope,none. WB is campaigning her in the Lead for TDKR and that ain`t gonna happen. But it`ll strenghten her chances of winning BSA with Les Mis because it`ll remind AMPAS what a great year she`s been having. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Nope,none. WB is campaigning her in the Lead for TDKR and that ain`t gonna happen. But it`ll strenghten her chances of winning BSA with Les Mis because it`ll remind AMPAS what a great year she`s been having.

I hope she wins. I love her, she such a great actress.

uh oh, buzzkill for Les Mis

This is joined in my mind with observations...reminders, I mean...from Gold Derby's Tom O'Neil as well as Glenn Kenny on yesterday's Oscar Poker that the Les Miserables material is familiar and classic and not exactly thrilling in and of itself, and that the stage musical is over 25 years old and quite traditional and retro-defaulty by today's standards, and Tom Hooper's innovation of having the actors sing live on the set is (this was a Kenny riff also) doesn't necessarily mean that the film will work splendidly. Live singing may seem to some like an exciting new approach to shooting movie musicals, but what will finally matter is whether or not Les Miserables works altogether...whether the entire working mechanism harmonizes in a way that inspires "wow, that was truly exceptional!" or "that was an entirely respectable rendering of a classic musical that was all the rage in London and Broadway back in the '80s."

If the latter impression dominates and Les Miserables becomes merely one of the Best Picture contenders instead of (according to O'Neil's maddeningly coy tipster) possibly the Best Picture contender, then you'll have an uncertain and perhaps even mysterious Best Picture race on your hands -- an egalitarian race without a frontrunner or heavyweight contender, a competition among jacks and knaves and outliers without a big gorilla (or gorillas) that everyone's looking to beat.

http://hollywood-els...f_les_miz_1.php

To repeat, there's a wisp of a suggestion floating around (like dandelion fuzz) that Les Miserablesmay turn out to be more of a striking, highly respectable, performance-driven costumer (withHugh Jackman and Anne Hathawaybenefitting in particular) than a breathtaking, across-the-board, Oscar-sweep phenomenon...a solid, admirable, workmanlike job that may not necessarily inject spiritual adrenaline into the soul...well-made, fine and commendable but, in the words of Richard Masurin Risky Business, "not quite Ivy League."

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/10/the_rundown_1.php Edited by JackO

Those whisps of suggestion that floated into Wells`s ears may be from a recent screening where les Mis was well-received. So someone may have seen it and thought it was good but not all that. We`ll see. Jeff is anti-Les Mis so he`s fishing for any anti-Les Mis buzz, just like he was fishing for anti-Lincoln and pro-Karenina buzz.

Those whisps of suggestion that floated into Wells`s ears may be from a recent screening where les Mis was well-received. So someone may have seen it and thought it was good but not all that. We`ll see. Jeff is anti-Les Mis so he`s fishing for any anti-Les Mis buzz, just like he was fishing for anti-Lincoln and pro-Karenina buzz.

Yes, I noticed that Anna Karenina post too. He may be the only one on that boat! :)

Nope,none. WB is campaigning her in the Lead for TDKR and that ain`t gonna happen. But it`ll strenghten her chances of winning BSA with Les Mis because it`ll remind AMPAS what a great year she`s been having.

Exactly. The whole point of WB pushing Hathaway for TDKR is so that she has a better chance at win Supporting Actress for Les Mis, which at this point, I would put my money on her winning.

Why do they still have that rule anyway? Seems unfair to me.

Actually, it is fair. The reason the rule is in place is sot that voters don't split their votes for one actor in the same category, thus preventing that actor from rightfully getting the Oscar. That rule actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.