The Movie Man

TV Shows Grades

Grade the Shows on TV, Including the New Shows StartingThe Mindy Show = FMaybe this is a Chick Show, but I think it is unfunny and lame. Truthfully I barely got Mindy on the Office where she was only good when not used too much. But here with her being this great doctor, and a messed up personal/sex life, just doesn't work for me!Ben & Kate = FJust horrible and stupid - not one decent laugh on this show. I don't know how this show made it on the air.Glee = Incomplete, as I only caught the second half of episode one. Think the NY split might work.

Edited by Truman Burbank

Is this just for the first episode of the new season? Here's the one's I've seen so far:

Go On (NBC)

I thought the pilot was decent. It wasn't that funny in my opinion but I think there is pretty good potential. Matthew Perry's a very good actor and Chandler was my favorite character in Friends so I'll give any sitcom of his a try. So far Go On looks a bit better than Mr. Sunshine so I hope it will at least be renewed for a second season.

7/10

The New Normal (NBC)

I saw the pilot for this as well as The New Normal. I'm not quite sure if this is supposed to be a drama or a comedy because it felt like every 5 minutes it kind of switched between the two. Overall, it was kind of funny and there does seem to be some good potential in this show. Like most Ryan Murphy shows, the characters are kind of over-exaggerated. The lead guy played by Andrew Rannells (Book of Mormon) is too flamboyantly gay, the grandmother is too bigoted, and the child is too wise beyond her years. Hopefully they reel in the characters a bit and this show could be pretty decent.

6.5/10

Revolution (NBC)

It reminded me a lot of Terra Nova, a show with great potential with a really interesting setting that kind of came in below expectations. Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of cable shows this Summer, but I feel like they kind of dumbed down and toned down everything to try to appeal to a broader audience. The action sequences were okay but you could tell they didn't want to show too much to avoid offending anyone, and everything just feels too... unsubtle. Like how many times do we need to see that pendanty usb thing, we get it, it's important.

There are some great actors on this show like Billy Burke and Giancarlo Esposito but i feel that it's kind of balanced off with the cringe-worthy acting of the two main kids (the sister and brother). This leads me to another thing, the casting definitely went for looks more than acting ability. Everybody on this show is too attractive and it makes it seem too unrealistic for a post-apocalyptic world where nobody in their right mind would be spending their time in tanning booths, putting on make-up, or hitting the gym. The lead girl is mega hot, but it's also kind of distracting and she's not a very good actor.

One thing that I did like about this show is that even if it did look kind of cheap a times, the CGI and cinematography was pretty beautiful in this show. Seeing the Earth in ruins after electricity is taken away is kind of fascinating.

Overall I feel that Revolution is trying too hard to be an everyman show, and this results in pretty generic characters and plot points, but there is enough potential in this premise for a very entertaining and successful show so I'm hoping for continued improvement.

6/10

The X-Factor USA (FOX)

Britney and Demi! Last season Nicole and Paula were pretty bad judges and I'm glad we got this change. Britney Spears had some funny rejection comments and hilarious expressions and Demi Lovato seems like she genuinely cares about her role as a judge/mentor and is actually giving an effort on this show. The first episode kind of felt too focused on the behind the scenes "drama" and brief clips of people singing badly.

I feel that the audition episodes would be better if they showed less montages and more full auditions because most people watch the show to to see talented musicians. The first and last auditions for this episode were the best, but there were few stand-outs in between which meant 2 hours of medicore/awfull singers. I would probably give the season 2 premiere of X-factor a 6 if it wasn't for the last audition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUL72dIbTA&feature=channel&list=UL

Definitely a very emotional audition and it bumps it up to a

7/10.

Go On - B+ - Very into this show and I'm in for the long haulAnimal Hospital - B - For all the hate this show is getting, I actually really like the pilot and will give it a few more episodes.The New Normal - A- - I don't know why but this has been my favorite pilot so far, it took me by surprise but I feel this will be a show I will drop out of soon. Just like Glee

Ben and Kate A- a good companion to new girl and the mindy projectNew girl A- Jess is back and was funny in two epsMindy project-A-I love mindy kaling

I have to watch a couple of Ben & Kate & Mindy's to make a decision, cause seeing one only a month ago, I just wasn't impressed, while looking for great comedies.

As long as mindy is writing her own show I should like it. Most of my fav office eps are written by her.

Interesting, I didn't realize that? Just wondering, what characters were the ones written by her focused on?

Revolutution-A good start there's enough intrigue to keep coming back(I still have to watch the second episode) BVegas-Yes it's another CBS procedural, but I enjoy Dennis Quaid and Michael Chiklis. Doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's competent, well made and does the job. BThe Mindy Project-I had high hopes for this and I still do but I thought it was kind of mean spirited. The wedding speech was more cringe inducing than funny. Because of the potential I'm going to give it a higher grade but it needs to get better C-