#1 ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,402 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 465 topics

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Full Article: http://www.boxoffice...gain-muscles-up

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"]When you say the name "Michael Bay", the last words you expect to hear in the same sentence are "smaller scale". But that's exactly what the [/font]Transformers [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"]director has gone for with his latest flick,[/font]Pain & Gain[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"]. Due for release on April 26, the bodybuilding-action-crime hybrid marks his first non-[/font]Transformers [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"]flick in nearly eight years (all the way back to 2005's [/font]The Island[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"]).[/font]

This time, he's brought along two A-list actors whose box office credentials have progressively begun to impress over the last couple of years. Headliner Mark Wahlberg had a fantastic 2012 with hits like Ted and Contraband, while Dwayne Johnson also continues to make a star name for himself thanks to his popular supporting turn in 2011's Fast Five, last year's Journey 2, and recently, G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

Even his lead in Snitch this year proved to go over well with audiences--that film debuted to a modest $13.2 million but has legged it's way out to $41.5 million since.

All of that said, how does Pain & Gain stack up when it comes to pre-release buzz? The answer: very well...

Edited by ShawnMR, 04 April 2013 - 07:22 AM.

Save the Forums! Donation Campaign for Independent, Member-Funded Hosting

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

#2 baumer

baumer

• General Moderator
  • 43,554 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2011
  • 1,839 topics
  • LocationCamp Crystal Lake

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

I disagree with filmnerdjamie....this will not plummett in the coming weeks. It's going to be zany enough to keep people coming back. I think Bay is a genius, much to the laughter of many of the members here, but imo, he is one of the three best directors working today. So to see him with a smaller budget that is more concerned with character is really exciting. This movie is the reason I am starting the Summer Game early.

If Jason still haunts you, you're not alone.

#3 Michael Gary Scottt

Michael Gary Scottt

Global Phenomenon

• Free Account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,606 posts
  • Joined November 10, 2011
  • 14 topics
  • Locationmember of clone club

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I hate Bay for what he is doing to TMNT but he does make entertaining movies. Calling him a genius though I wouldn't go that far lol.
Hail Nolan

#4 ShawnMR

ShawnMR

• Forum Admin
  • 14,402 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2011
  • 465 topics

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

I hate Bay for what he is doing to TMNT but he does make entertaining movies. Calling him a genius though I wouldn't go that far lol.

Is it really fair to judge TMNT before we actually see something from it, though?

As for P&G, I do think it's limited to a niche audience. Were it not for Bay+Rock+Wahlberg and IM3 opening the week after, I'd be completely convinced that legs would be strong through April. I think they still can be to an extent, but, unless this just opens really low and great WOM kicks in, it's probably destined to be at least a little front-loaded. By that, I mean something like a 2.5-2.75x multiplier. Even with a big drop on May 3-5, it could easily rebound on May 10-12. Gatsby won't hurt it won't a bit.

Save the Forums! Donation Campaign for Independent, Member-Funded Hosting

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Sherlock Holmes

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

#5 C00k13

C00k13

Box Office Gold

• Free Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Joined November 08, 2011
  • 9 topics
  • LocationLa Suede

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

IM3 is going to take a toll on just about every movie (that usually happens with summer starters) but if WOM is good P&G should rebound later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users