baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

4 hours ago, department store basement said:

So there's this new filmmaker named Paul Thomas Anderson. Will he be the next big thing?

I saw Boogie Nights the other day and Jesus Christ does Marky Mark have a big dick! And they won't even say if it was real or prosthetic.

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Someday, I think the guy who directed Bad Boys will do a movie where entire cities are destroyed by big machines fighting each other.

Seems right up his alley.

It should star Nicolas Cage and Charlie Sheen as these robots. That would be  kickass.

24 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You re right, I have faith in Lucas, this new Star Wars is gonna be amazing and will destroy Titanic box office records for sure.

Just think, if maybe it gets some Oscar talk we could be looking maybe even a 2 billion dollar worldwide film!

Even if it doesn't get a BP nomination I could see 1.8-1.9B WW

After this success studios seem to be a bit over-confident with huge productions such as this.

Remember Miramax announcing in December '96 that the Bad Taste director would do a King Kong remake? Apparantly they ditched that idea and he is now supposed to be doing "The Lord of the Rings" in a two movie version. Ridiculous.

That book is as unfilmable as the Titanic was unsinkable... oh wait.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2016 at 7:14 PM, lilmac said:

I did a shorter one for Avatar.

Yes, I followed Titanic's run as it happened on a forum called Time Pathfinder Movie Forums. It was like this but late 1990s timeframe. A decent opening back then was a $30m weekend. We weren't sure if Tomorrow Never Dies or Titanic was going to gross more. lol. When it held on its 2nd weekend, we knew there was something special here. When it held the 3rd week the boards exploded. One poster, Velouria, predicted BEFORE Titanic's opening that it would gross $540 million. We thought she was crazy. Some of the more popular boards lasted (hopping on other sites after Time Pathfinder closed) for, I think over 12 years. The only remnant of Time Pathfinder Movie Forums is a facebook page for the regulars back then. 

Back then Raiders of the Lost Ark was in the Top 10. lol

I've been following the boxoffice since the early 90s. Been here since 2002 (well, BOM). 

Thanks very much for telling me the story.

It sounds very very nice i could be in that forum on that years...

I started with box office in the first 90´s, but i just got very involved with Titanic run, as just in that time, i discovered Variety and i could search it every week. Before then, i only had access to few data in some spanish movie magazines but they were only monthly!!! It´s ridiculous compared with now, when we have data some hours after.

For me was my first big run that i followed and i think very probably won´t be another one like this.

I still have a treasure of that time a couple of Variety that i purchased for keep the memories of those glorious days in the box office, for this, when i discovered your video, i felt it great nostalgia for those days.

You can check in this link some pictures of that number of Variety, we have something very nice in common!

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/belchite/library/variety?sort=3&page=1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, setna said:

Thanks very much for telling me the story.

It sounds very very nice i could be in that forum on that years...

I started with box office in the first 90´s, but i just got very involved with Titanic run, as just in that time, i discovered Variety and i could search it every week. Before then, i only had access to few data in some spanish movie magazines but they were only monthly!!! It´s ridiculous compared with now, when we have data some hours after.

For me was my first big run that i followed and i think very probably won´t be another one like this.

I still have a treasure of that time a couple of Variety that i purchased for keep the memories of those glorious days in the box office, for this, when i discovered your video, i felt it great nostalgia for those days.

You can check in this link some pictures of that number of Variety, we have something very nice in common!

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/belchite/library/variety?sort=3&page=1

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

If you are looking for nostalgia, read these archives

• Like 1

It's funny, after thinking about Titanic is the first box office run I remember actually hearing about while it was happening. I was only 7 so I didn't actually see it in theaters, but I remember my sisters and parents loved it and went to see it multiple times, it's weird because I remember a lot of things from 5-7 in my life better than things that happened last month so a lot of it it is still quite clear in my head.

Right before Titanic's run, many of us on the boxoffice threads at the time thought Tomorrow Never Dies could beat it. The first weekend was close (TND was a close 2nd) but it soon became apparent which would win. It wasn't until probably until the 4th weekend that we realized Titanic was truly something special (the first 3 were explainable since they were holidays).

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Right before Titanic's run, many of us on the boxoffice threads at the time thought Tomorrow Never Dies could beat it. The first weekend was close (TND was a close 2nd) but it soon became apparent which would win. It wasn't until probably until the 4th weekend that we realized Titanic was truly something special (the first 3 were explainable since they were holidays).

Barely any drop from week end to week end was already abnormal even with the Holiday seasons going on.

22 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Barely any drop from week end to week end was already abnormal even with the Holiday seasons going on.

I'm just relaying what the thinking was for a number of folks.  Yes, it was an awesome tracking experience in the first 3 weeks but it became surreal when we ran out of excuses.

Too bad we don't have a daily breakdown for Tomorrow Never Dies. It was a close weekend with Titanic making a big jump on Saturday and a really slight decline on Sunday. Could it be possible that TND actually edged out Titanic on Friday? Bond had more upfront demand even in the 90's.

Something about the most attended single box office run having a number 2 opening day is a fun thought.

On 2/4/2017 at 5:17 AM, baumer said:

Titanic's run was so much fun to follow.

agreed, it was probably the first one I truly followed.  I mean I knew about numbers before that, but back then, it was just more of a blurb in a newspaper or a magazine for things like Batman (1989), ET, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, etc, etc.

Plus it was one of my favorite just movie experiences overall which due to the way ticketing goes and other stuff, just can't be duplicated any more.

But to watch a movie go up as it went along still it astounding.  I could talk about all the Titanic stuff all day :P 

• Like 1