baumer

Titanic | James Cameron | Pretend it's 1997 all over again (The pure awe of Titanic's run)

16 hours ago, baumer said:

We're kinda passed this point in its run. :)

well this was the first time Puerto Rico was used.  If you really follow the money, this made only about $265 mil total. ;) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Well, academy/BAFTA awards and acclaims doesn't necessarily mean an actor will never make or star in stinkers! After all legends do have their own set of disasters associated with them!

Obviously, the point was that they were already more than pretty face at the time, already experimented and acclaimed actors.

• Like 1

Posting for posterity here

I can't believe I'm actually going to spend 20 minutes researching this to prove this point, but here goes.

The months of January to May in 1998 were not like they are in today's movie going climate.  I'm not sure when studios starting releasing movies in those months in hopes of making big money, but let's take a look first at what some of the biggest grossing movies were in the months of January 9th to April 3-5 during Titanic's run and then we'll look back the years 1992-1997 to see what the grosses were for films released in the same time.

Titanic's run:

Biggest new releases starting January 9th:

Firestorm:  3.8 million

Spiceworld:  10.5 million

Phantoms:  3.0 mill

Great expectations:  9.5 mill

Desperate Measures:  5.8

Deep Rising:  4.7

The Replacement Killers:  8.0

Blues Brothers:  6.1

The Wedding Singer:  18.8

Sphere :  14.4                       

(Of note, the last two films came out on Valentine's Day weekend.  This is the weekend Titanic increased by 22% and had it's 4th highest weekend of its run)

Senseless:  5.3

Palmetto:  3.8

Dark City:  5.5

Kripendorff's Tribe:  3.3

Caught Up:  2.3

Kissing a Fool: 2.2

U.S. Marshall's 16.8

Twilight/Big Lebowski/Hush:  17

The Man in the Iron Mask:  17.2

Primary Colors:  12

Wild Things:  9.6

Mr. Nice Guy:  5.2

Grease reissue: 12.7

Newton Boys/Ride/Mr. deedles:  8.5

Lost in Space:  20

Mercury Rising:  10.1

This was the weekend Titanic finally got knocked out of number 1.  The weekend of April 3-5.  Collectively these number one films grossed 227.5 million in the thirteen weeks between Jan 9th and April 3rd.

Lets take a look at the 5 years prior to that.

1992 (same time frame for new releases)  155 million

1993:  196.1

1994:  182.8

1995:  179.5

1996:  239.5

1997:  340.2  (this is the winter than the Star Wars re-releases came out, collectively grossing in their opening weekends 64.5 million)

So as you can see, this is a fallacy that the winter months were dead and that helped Titanic.  In the five years previous, the years of 1996 beat it by 12 million and then in 1997, with the help of SW, it got crushed by more than 100 million.  Titanic was a beast and it slayed all movies that came its way while facing basically more or the same amount of competition than the years prior, except 1996.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Paramount was hampered by an especially delicate problem: Harrison Ford angrily warned studio executives that if ''Titanic'' opened in late July, he would sever his relations with the studio that made some of his biggest hits, including ''Raiders of the Lost Ark'' and ''Patriot Games.'' Mr. Ford was disturbed because his new film, ''Air Force One,'' is set to be released by Sony on July 25. (Mr. Ford was especially concerned because his last film for Sony, ''The Devil's Own,'' was a disaster.)

Lmaooooo Harrison Ford just got Paramount to delay Titanic :lol: The fact that they obeyed shows how little confidence they have in it. :rofl:

Let's not forget that Cameron's last movie True Lies underperformed in relation to budget and expectations (Speed overshadowed it at a fraction of the cost that Summer) and despite all the lustful hype DiCaprio is not a draw (Romeo & Juliet did under $50M). And literally no one knows who Kate Winslet is. What's a Heavenly Creatures? Those who saw Sense & Sensibility saw it for Emma Thompson. 

Opening Titanic against the new Bond, new Tarantino, new Spielberg and Scream 2 in December tho :rofl: It won't flat-out bomb (too much hype and curiosity) but Waterworld 2.0 here we go. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, baumer said:

Bumping for anyone who wants to revisit this.

Would be nice that all the young people in this forum that they were saying last week, "Titanic is locked ww" visit here and start to understand how legendary was this b.o. run.

As we can see, even 20 years later, with all the worldwide markets much bigger and developed, this film is still n.2 alltime...

Simply the biggest run alltime!!!!

• Like 2

You know, if I have to choose which is the best bullshitting thread on this site, I'd pick this one. And I mean it in a good way, because everyone played this "Pretend" game fairly well.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

You know, if I have to choose which is the best bullshitting thread on this site, I'd pick this one. And I mean it in a good way, because everyone played this "Pretend" game fairly well.

I'm going to be honest VC, I don't have a clue what you're on about here.

10 minutes ago, The Mad Titan said:

Start on the first page and read. 

exposed, thought this was a thread to discuss it's run like the other threads in this section

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

This had the most amazing run ever, well for a somewhat recent film that is, no two ways about it. It captured the female audience like no other film and many poor male souls had to dragged in this by their wives/girlfriends/mothers/whatever . Hell the twilight movies are a miniature of this, only for the young female crowd while titanic was for all ages.

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

This had the most amazing run ever, well for a somewhat recent film that is, no two ways about it. It captured the female audience like no other film and many poor male souls had to dragged in this by their wives/girlfriends/mothers/whatever . Hell the twilight movies are a miniature of this, only for the young female crowd while titanic was for all ages.

My mum loves Twilight :unsure:

Fortunately Titanic had something for everyone with such an epic disaster sequence for the final third, something for the Dad's (aswell as Kate).

Yeah no movie gets THAT high just by appealing to women( even of all ages). If you are a male and didn't like the movie that's fine, but that doesn't mean that men were only dragged to see this. Titanic hit all demographics in a way very few movies have in the history of cinema. I was 11 and had no girlfriend nor any of my friends, but the entire school boys and girls watched this movie in theatres, my parents and their friends who went once a decade at the movies watched this in Theatre, my grandparents who hadn't been in theatre since the 60s went to see Titanic, it was an event like no other. The "just a much bigger Twilight" argument is total bullshit. Of course most "hardcore" fans that saw it many times were (mostly young)women but how is that much different than young men watching LOTR, TDK or Avengers countless times in theatres; I don't think anyone would ever argue that the original Star Wars sold 100m+ tickets just because many teen boys in the 70s went to see it 15 times. 

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 4

On 07/05/2018 at 7:41 PM, setna said:

Would be nice that all the young people in this forum that they were saying last week, "Titanic is locked ww" visit here and start to understand how legendary was this b.o. run.

As we can see, even 20 years later, with all the worldwide markets much bigger and developed, this film is still n.2 alltime...

Simply the biggest run alltime!!!!

That is not exactly true. 

Asia, LatAm and Eastern Europe are bigger today (in many cases much bigger) than the late 90s. Western Europe & Japan may be in fact somewhat smaller today than the 90s. 

But ultimately yes, Titanic's BO run has been the most astonishing in the last several decades. Nothing comes really close. 

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Asia, LatAm and Eastern Europe are bigger today (in many cases much bigger) than the late 90s. Western Europe & Japan may be in fact somewhat smaller today than the 90s. 

But ultimately yes, Titanic's BO run has been the most astonishing in the last several decades. Nothing comes really close. 

Yes, i was refering to the non traditional markets ( Western Europe, Australia and Japan..)

But i think even with the decrease of these markets, the chances of getting money today in the worldwide market are quite bigger, with Latin America (Brazil and Mexico), RUssia, east Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Phiippines...) and for sure India and the soon biggest market in the world China.

But thanks for the correction, i didn´t express proper.

On 13.5.2018 at 2:49 PM, PPZVGOS said:

As this is counted in $ it's actually true for I think basically every market, including markets in Western Europe and Japan.

On 12.5.2018 at 8:48 PM, Thrylos 7 said:

Kate was never that hot (and looks like DiCaprio’s mother in that film) and having to sit through the soapy and melodramatic love story for a few disaster scenes...

giphy.gif

Just kidding but imho Titanic was much more than that. It was a very believable and engrossing bringing to life of 1912 society... the last months of a world bound to go under during and after WWI. The best "fin de siècle" portrayal out there. A lot of what caused Europe (and later the US) to sleepwalk its way into the war is similar to what led to to the death of those 1500 crew and passengers. Also I think the consistency in which this movie keeps showing up on "best" lists even on the most male dominated fronts shows that for many people there was much more in this than "love" (or that aspect was simply done too well to be rejected).

Imho there is a lot in there... the brillance being that it is possible to just watch it as a romance and/or a disaster movie at the same time.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 2