c7X0po.gif

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CJohn

Moana | 11/23/16 | Teaser Trailer on Page 33

4,568 posts in this topic

It's funny, Disney's canon seems to be a rare case of negative revisionist history. Everyone thinks all of their female protagonists before were dainty and helpless and needed their man to survive.

Yeah, while the guys have historically done most of the rescuing, my point is that aside from circumstances the princess characters themselves aren't THAT different. The main difference between the early and more modern Disney princesses is that the latter are given better opportunities to take the initiative and/or happen to do more of the rescuing. The key is that whenever there is any kind of an innovation, it is hyped like crazy, and then out come the stereotypes again.

If you look at the big picture, though, is Anna, for instance, much different from Snow White in terms of the basics? They're both cute and awfully sweet, but can be feisty at times--although there are many specific details that make their personalities quite distinct from one another, Anna is nevertheless basically the kind of princess character that Walt Disney himself envisioned in the 1930s. :) And this makes sense because the directors of Frozen expressly drew much of their inspiration from the earliest Disney classics. Then they made a few tweaks for modern audiences, as WDAS has been doing for decades now, and the media went nuts and convinced themselves that it's completely new...again!

To be fair, they did occasionally literally need a man to survive (Kiss at the end of Snow White, Beast saving Belle from wolves), but that's just an element of romance storytelling. There's no point pairing two people together if they don't have to lean on each other at some point.

Right, and lately they've been doing the rescuing, too, and it really doesn't matter whether they are themselves rescued by a man or woman. Beast saved Belle from the wolves, but she saved him from freezing to death while in shock (returning to the castle to do so), and then she saved him from falling to his death later on (albeit he would die anyway from his knife wound); she also saved her father on three occasions (girl is a machine! ;)).

But aside from this, they're a lot like Snow White and Cinderella--it's mostly the stories and roles that are different.

But most of the critics were too old for those films so they have really dated view of what Disney princesses are based on largely Disney merchandice.

The Disney PrincessTM merchandise doesn't help in this regard because of how everything is made SO very girly, while the characters themselves are more balanced and have far more universal appeal (in their original forms, that is). This adds to the false perception of Disney being overly girly in general, I'm afraid. I mean, watch Frozen and tell me what is actually girly about it--pretty much nothing aside from the fact that the two lead characters happen to be female (the story would be practically the same if they were male instead). But many people tend to think of it as being girly anyway.

Anyway I think the Lion King and Tarzan composer was confirmed for the score.

Mark Mancina?

2 people like this

I thought Mark Mancina was replaced by I don't remember where I read this.

Wouldn't be surprised if Christophe Beck is doing the score for this one. With the Lopez team doing the songs.

It's not even 2015 and Disney has won 2016 for me. Moana, Zootopia, Cap 3, Doctor Strange, Finding Dory. Is beautiful man.

And SW spin-off, The BFG (Steven Spielberg), Alice 2...

Yeah, another great year.

2 people like this

I thought Moana was WDA, not Pixar?

That's right, Moana is from WDAS (Walt Disney Animation Studios), not Pixar. I don't recall anybody here suggesting otherwise. The webpage that the OP posted a link to said "Disney and Pixar" and by this they meant WDAS and Pixar (separately) as opposed to Disney•Pixar, which is really just Pixar (or Pixar Animation Studios if we want to be pedantic).

2 people like this

I'm surprised Disney has never thought of teaming up their Heroine's in an Avengers style team up

5 people like this

Aside from Moana, Giants and Zootopia, what else is in the pipeline? Wasn't one of the 2018 films going to be a space based film?

Would like to see WDAS tackle Don Quixote which Walt was working on for years as well as The Count of Monte Cristo.

2 people like this

I'm surprised Disney has never thought of teaming up their Heroine's in an Avengers style team up

They tried but animated RDJ cost too much

tony-stark-flirting-with-some-disney-pri

5 people like this

Nice. If this is the next big fairytale/musical epic then there will be a ton of hype going into this. Disney's official follow-up to Frozen and Tangled. To be perfectly honest quality withstanding this could possibly be locked for $300 million. Animated musical fantasies are in again. And WDA is pretty much synonymous with that.

Edited by Mango
2 people like this

They tried but animated RDJ cost too much

tony-stark-flirting-with-some-disney-pri

50 million dollars just for his voice.

1 person likes this

My favorite directing duo in animation! I hope this combines the best elements of both Aladdin and The Little Mermaid.

1 person likes this

Just two years away? I thought it was a lot longer off! 

It's set primarily in the sea so I'm hoping it's a real epic adventure musical film that keeps the heart of Frozen and with a more creative/dynamic storyline. There's also this:

Something “fresh and original, not a fairytale movie,” apparently has a setting somewhere in the south pacific and a Tiki carving as a character… being developed in a new style of CG that’s somewhat like but certainly not identical to the techniques used on Paperman.

The exact look of their film is very much still in development at the moment, in parallel to the film’s character designs and storyboards, and there’s a little while before it will have to be locked in place for production to go full steam ahead.

Assuming it's true, I can't wait to see what the animation will look like! :D

1 person likes this

Aside from Moana, Giants and Zootopia, what else is in the pipeline? Wasn't one of the 2018 films going to be a space based film?

Would like to see WDAS tackle Don Quixote which Walt was working on for years as well as The Count of Monte Cristo.

I'm guessing that there could be that space movie (Disney doing aliens could lead to some cool character designs, especially with CGI.) or maybe even Frozen 2.

1 person likes this

It think Wreck-It Ralph 2 could also be happening. I hope not, I rather WDAS focus on original (better idea than Frozen 2 however). But maybe they decide not to do it if Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana make much more than Ralph.

I do not know about the space film. Space looked quite beautiful in Treasure Planet but space projects just remind me of stuff like Planet 51, Escape from Planet Earth and that Dreamworks Home film. I rather see King of Elves. That is not happening however.

Everything I have read shows Mancina as doing the score.

Anyone have a link stating otherwise?

I thought Mark Mancina was replaced by I don't remember where I read this.

Wouldn't be surprised if Christophe Beck is doing the score for this one. With the Lopez team doing the songs.

1 person likes this

I doubt WDAS will do Frozen 2, think they'll concentrate on adapting it as a stage musical, Wreck it Ralph 2 is more likely.

Does anyone know why they moved this two years ahead of schedule? I thought this was originally slated for the year 2018. 

1 person likes this

Does anyone know why they moved this two years ahead of schedule? I thought this was originally slated for the year 2018. 

probably to not have a slump after big hero 6