Premium and Gold members please go to this thread:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24403-paid-perks/

Copper and Silver Accounts please PM me if you have paid past August 1st and care about the "Custom Avatar" (or really larger avatar) perk.

CJohn

Moana | 11/23/16 | Teaser Trailer on Page 33

Melvin Frohike    742

It think Wreck-It Ralph 2 could also be happening. I hope not, I rather WDAS focus on original (better idea than Frozen 2 however). But maybe they decide not to do it if Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana make much more than Ralph.

I doubt WDAS will do Frozen 2, think they'll concentrate on adapting it as a stage musical, Wreck it Ralph 2 is more likely.

There are some in WDAS who actually want to make Wreck-It Ralph 2, director Rich Moore in particular, but it's iffy because the first movie wasn't their biggest hit of late and did so very poorly in terms of merchandise sales (especially for a Disney or Pixar animated feature). While the latter is far more of a direct concern at the corporate level than for WDAS, of course, it could still indicate that for whatever reasons the movie and its characters have not resonated with the public, and this is a concern.

As for Frozen 2, aside from the Lopezes and cast, few if any in WDAS want to make it, but that would be like turning down a sure blockbuster. Once again, this is more of a concern at the corporate level, but you'd better believe that WDAS, like Pixar, is generally concerned about the box office performance of their movies, too, because it can positively or negatively impact their prestige, clout, and ultimately their jobs. They try to have artistic integrity and to make the best movies they can out of the ideas that they want, but if they want to keep the crews they have and keep making $150-200 million movies, then they need to make as many big hits as they can whenever they can. They may not want to make Frozen 2, but there is going to be some pressure to seriously consider it, not just from the corporate management but from themselves, depending in part on how well their other movies perform. I'm sure that somebody is trying to come up with a viable concept for a sequel, and the management will be patient about this, but the pressure is probably going to build up over time. Who can refuse to make a sequel to a $1.3 billion movie this day and age? We shall see.

Does anyone know why they moved this two years ahead of schedule? I thought this was originally slated for the year 2018.

Maybe they don't want to wait so long for the next "princess" musical and/or its development has been moving along more quickly than other projects. More generally, WDAS has been "on fire" (Lasseter's words) regarding story development of late--fast, open, flexible, and just plain great (the projects that haven't moved ahead have been halted fairly early, too, probably showing good judgment regarding what can and cannot be developed within a reasonable time frame). Hopefully they haven't gotten overconfident regarding Moana and their other projects, but so far their fast pace has been working out for them very well indeed.

• Like 1

Rsyu    6,714

probably to not have a slump after big hero 6

They have Zootopia coming out before Moana but yeah I get your point. 

Maybe they don't want to wait so long for the next "princess" musical and/or its development has been moving along more quickly than other projects. More generally, WDAS has been "on fire" (Lasseter's words) regarding story development of late--fast, open, flexible, and just plain great (the projects that haven't moved ahead have been halted fairly early, too, probably showing good judgment regarding what can and cannot be developed within a reasonable time frame). Hopefully they haven't gotten overconfident regarding Moana and their other projects, but so far their fast pace has been working out for them very well indeed.

Good points. I guess 5 years is a pretty ample amount of time to produce an animated film (Production started in 2011). I just wonder if there was some problem with Giants' production that caused them to push it back (now slated for 2018) and advance Moana to 2016. 

• Like 1

CoolEric258    2,294

Does anyone know why they moved this two years ahead of schedule? I thought this was originally slated for the year 2018. 

Well, from what I've been told, Giants hasn't gone that well in development. The ideas are there, but meshing them together is the issue. And with Moana going much better in development, they changed the release dates around instead of rushing Giants and making an inferior product.

• Like 3

Spidey Freak    10,836

Well, from what I've been told, Giants hasn't gone that well in development. The ideas are there, but meshing them together is the issue. And with Moana going much better in development, they changed the release dates around instead of rushing Giants and making an inferior product.

Looks like Giants is going through the "The Snow Queen" and "Rapunzel" rough phase. :P

• Like 1

Rsyu    6,714

Looks like Giants is going through the "The Snow Queen" and "Rapunzel" rough phase. :P

No complaints from me if Giants turns out to be as good as those two :)

Ethan Hunt    16,037

Eh, this doesn't sound particularly interesting... Of course it's entirely possible I'll change my mind once I learn more.

Empire    18,440

I'm sure The Rock has a couple showtunes in him...  :lol:

The Rock can sing alright. He has sang for a wrestling promo at least.

• Like 1

Empire    18,440

The Rock? I'm fine with him as long as he can sing properly.

But I'm here for them casting broadway actors for the roles once again.

The Rock can sing good enough. At least I think so.