Impact

Who is your favorite Batman and Bruce Wayne?

Favorite Batman and Bruce Wayne  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Batman

• Adam West
    • Michael Keaton
    • Val Kilmer
    • George Clooney
    • Christian Bale
  2. 2. Favorite Bruce Wayne?

• Adam West
    • Michael Keaton
    • Val Kilmer
    • George Clooney
    • Christian Bale

Keaton was the best Batman and Bale is the best Bruce Wayne. My only issue with Bale's Batman is the "scarey voice". Keaton was much more mysterious and menacing with his whisper. George Clooney making the choice to talk like George Clooney as Bruce and Batman made him the worst to play the role, and when he was cast, I thought he had potential to be the best.

I should do a thread for who is the best Joker...Or I would, but I already know Ledger be the easy winner.

Jack was better. Jack was the joker from the comics. Heath would win because he is this generation's Joker. He is great, too, it's just that nobody could beat what Jack did. Edited by Maverikk

Jack was better. Jack was the joker from the comics. Heath would win because he is this generation's Joker. He is great, too, it's just that nobody could beat what Jack did.

I liked Jack's Joker performance more in The Shining. He's too famous to play an already famous character like the Joker. Ledger immersed himself in the role, Jack didn't.

I liked Jack's Joker performance more in The Shining. He's too famous to play an already famous character like the Joker. Ledger immersed himself in the role, Jack didn't.

Jack played him just like the Joker in the comics, Heath didn't.

I disagree. Ledger's Joker is straight out of the Killing Joke. Nicholson didn't even bother coming up with a high pitched clown voice, which is how the comics describe it. Ledger and Hamill's voices kick the crap out of Jack's.

LOL Maybe you should read The Killing Joke, because that is Nicholson, and Burton even credits that as an influence. Ledger is really not like that Joker very much at all. The part where he shows up at Vicky Vale's door is lifted right from the comic when he shows up at Barbara Gordon's door. And Heath Ledger's voice is hardly a high pitched clown voice. It's effiminate. I am very sure the Joker's voice has never been described as such! Not to diminish Ledger's great performance, because it was, but it was much of his own thing.

I disagree. Ledger's Joker is straight out of the Killing Joke. Nicholson didn't even bother coming up with a high pitched clown voice, which is how the comics describe it. Ledger and Hamill's voices kick the crap out of Jack's.

Agreed, the characteristics and mannerisms Ledger portrayed as the Joker are considerably better than much of what Nicholson attempted. Ledger's Joker, for the most part, is always how I felt it should be played, considering it was quite a bit more synonymous with the version of the Joker in The Killing Joke and several other darker versions throughout the years. Nicholson was a good Joker, but he too often came off as Nicholson with makeup, rather than a true portrayal of the Joker. And yes, Nicholson's Joker voice doesn't even compare in terms of quality to Ledger's and Hamill's. Edited by PoeticProse22

LOL Maybe you should read The Killing Joke, because that is Nicholson, and Burton even credits that as an influence. Ledger is really not like that Joker very much at all. The part where he shows up at Vicky Vale's door is lifted right from the comic when he shows up at Barbara Gordon's door. And Heath Ledger's voice is hardly a high pitched clown voice. It's effiminate. I am very sure the Joker's voice has never been described as such! Not to diminish Ledger's great performance, because it was, but it was much of his own thing.

Oh I've read the book and it clearly influenced the TDK Joker. Jonah Nolan has gone in depth about it in interviews. The Joker attempting to push one of Batman's allies over the edge into madness is a common plotline between Killing Joke and TDK. Joker's multiple origin stories in TDK are a nod to his amnesia about his origin in Killing Joke. The first book Nolan gave to Ledger for researching the role was Killing Joke. The Barbara Gordon sequence you mentioned is an example of how Ledger viewed the Joker. While he prepared for the role, he kept a journal with things the Joker would laugh about, which included rape, AIDS, nuclear war, and so forth. It shows up in the movie too. Ledger's Joker had the balls to kill Batman's love interest, whereas Jack's Joker fell in love with her.
  • Like 1