Mauro Teixeira

IMAX or LieMax?

Hello everyone.

I've been following the progress of Pacific Rim's Box Office and decided to register in the forum to "give my 2 cents" once in a while.

So, I'm not a US citizen. I live in Portugal (that small country across the atlantic whose box office numbers are usually never relevant :P) and so I was a little bit amazed to read the Pacific Rim thread and find a lot of "formats" (I guess). There were people saying they were going to IMAX, LieMax, IDX, etc...

So I began searching for what LieMax means, and that's the reason I oppened this topic, hopping someone will shed light on my questions...

A little bit of context: Portugal's first IMAX screen oppened only last month in Lisbon (Colombo Shopping Center). Well, not exaclty the first, we had another screen that oppened in 1997 but it was not very well located and the management was so bad that it ended up closing one year later (1998). 

Bottomline is they now decided to give it another try. IMAX partned up with Portugal biggest theater owner "Zon Lusomundo" and with one of the major Portuguese shopping center owners "Sonae Sierra" (nowadays most Portuguese theaters are located in shopping centers) and constructed a room from scratch, designed for IMAX.

It oppened on June 20th with Jurassic Park 3D and in the next week Man of Steel 3D was released and so far has stayed there (next week Pacific Rim will be released there), and I've been to both screenings. I got to say its really a great experience. But I'm now trying to understand wether you'd call this IMAX or LieMax.

It's not traditional IMAX, that I can say - they don't have 70mm projectors there. Like most screens in Portugal, now everything is digital (yes, I think most screenings in Portugal are now digital). There are people who would say that this qualifies it as LieMax and not IMAX. But another quality to LieMAX is that they usually have smaller screens (like 8.5x18meters = 28x58 feet) while real IMAX screens are (23x30 meters = 76x97 feet). Well, our first screen has 15x20 meters = 49x66 feet, which I guess is something in the middle. Another LieMax feature is that they're usually retrofited rooms, while this one was built from scratch.

So, what's your veredict. Is this IMAX or LieMax? And why? What do you think is the most relevant aspect to assess the difference?

Some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(373 seats. This picture doesn't do it justice, the first time I saw this picture I was like 'meh, just a regular screen', but when I first entered that room I had to stop for a while and look at the screen from bottom to top so I could actually fathom what I was seeing)

Regards

Edited by mtX

As you can see, Portugal is very well represented in this forum ;) Of course our box office doesn't matter. We are a paradise for piracy and are in the middle of a huge economical crisis.

Our IMAX screen is great. I loved the design of the entrance and the screen. I went to see Man of Steel in there and it was an amazing experience. But it is not true IMAX. True IMAX is 23x30 meters, and I was hoping our screen would be of that size. It is not full LieMAX either because there are smaller IMAX screens and this was made from scratch. Colombo lost 2 screens and in their place the IMAX screen rised.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

That screen looks like LieMax...the AR is like a 2.35, at least in that picture. A normal IMAX has an 1.43 AR.

It is closer to LieMAX yes. But it is the best we got :lol:

• Like 1

It's definitely LieMAX. That being said, if you don't mind the price premium, there's nothing wrong with LieMAX at all, it should be a really nice theater to see a movie in. It's just not "real" IMAX.

The price difference isn't that big, at least compared to normal 3D viewings.Basically an average ticket for a regular viewing costs 6€ ($7.83). RealD 3D viewing has an extra fee of another 2€ + glasses (0.5€-1€), throwing the price to about 8€-9€ (10.45$-11.75$). IMAX is just 10€ (13.06$), so you might as well go to IMAX... or, well, LieMax.Thanks for the answers.CJohn, it was really great... and LOUD. Will be there when Pacific Rim is released here :PRegards Edited by mtX

Holy necro-thread, Batman.

The foot and meter dimensions provided in this thread seem to be more similar to real IMAX aspect ratio, but the photos of the screen are definitely LieMAX (similar to a normal movie screen shape instead of a square). In any event, it's a large LieMAX. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be nice if they upgrade all of these larger screens to Laser projection.