Neo

The Fate of the Furious | 4.14.2017

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

First movie without Paul Walker was always going to see a dropoff. And not only because of those who went out to 7 for the curiosity factor, but because fans of the franchise put themselves in his shoes. Their audience surrogate is gone. So the franchise has less meaning to some fans.

Also, when the franchises emphasizes the theme of family so heavily, the fans have an expectation that the cast exemplifies that theme offscreen. So when two of the biggest stars don't seem to be getting along and very little is being done to calm concerns, the fans who go to the franchise for the theme of family feel betrayed in some way.

That would be even further proven if the beef between them was so substantial that one of them did not return for Fast 9. At the moment, he does seem to be coming back for it.

Spoiler

The way Hobbs is written during his final moment sure does leave an "out" for him should The Rock not want to return for the next film...and do the spin-off with Statham instead.  And it is interesting how the plot of the film mirrors the apparent BTS conflict between Rock and VD...until the end -- the renewal/reunion feels way too easy...for everyone.  Wouldn't they question Dom a little more?

Edited by Macleod

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Hide contents

The way Hobbs is written during his final moment sure does leave an "out" for him should The Rock not want to return for the next film...and do the spin-off with Statham instead.  And it is interesting how the plot of the film mirrors the apparent BTS conflict between Rock and VD...until the end -- the renewal/reunion feels way too easy...for everyone.  Wouldn't they question Dom a little more?

The Rock Signed on for 9 and 10.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

The Rock Signed on for 9 and 10.

And...?  Was this before or after he had his tit-for-tat with Mr. VD?  Would he be the first guy to ever renege on a contract?  Would he be the first actor ever that a studio lets go because its easier to get the next movie made?  Would he be the first actor/producer to convert a contract option into another film for the same studio...a spin-off film with Mr. Statham, perhaps? 

13 hours ago, Macleod said:

F8 is beating all these "records"...yet it may not outgross the last film worldwide...and is actually on pace to have a significantly lesser gross in the US than F7 (which did $350m domestic!).  F8 may not even get to F6's US haul ($238m).  And F8 cost much more, of course.

And no one's talking about this.  Interesting.

It's still looking like a good bet to pass a billion OS, which considering the worse exchange rates than existed two years ago, is pretty nifty.

The dropoff from F7 is largely expected. I doubt anyone expected it to replicate the 1.5b WW gross. And it pulls in enough that the price tag for the film is completely justified. The Domestic gross is pretty much gravy at this point, considering how it plays overseas. There may not be any films this summer that have a bigger worldwide haul than F8 gets overseas.

• Like 2

Did an hour long podcast on F8te, if your bored or doing laundry  - http://cinemasesh.libsyn.com/fate-of-the-furious  

I also wanna get people to record little 2 minute reviews and send them in for movies, so hit me up if you wanna do one.  http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/21497-cinema-sesh-podcast-episode-archive-pg-1-new-fate-of-the-furious-sesh/ 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Macleod said:

And...?  Was this before or after he had his tit-for-tat with Mr. VD?  Would he be the first guy to ever renege on a contract?  Would he be the first actor ever that a studio lets go because its easier to get the next movie made?  Would he be the first actor/producer to convert a contract option into another film for the same studio...a spin-off film with Mr. Statham, perhaps? 

I think the Rock is on a film-by-film basis when he signs on for the Fast franchise.

• Like 1

Movie has been available for 3 weekends and it still hasn't made 200 million domestic. With or without Walker, that's a weak domestic performance.

Overseas grosses are insanely amazing, but almost half of that belongs to China alone, and they usually only get 25% of these grosses. 

Anyway, let's hope the next movie will be able to get a better domestic performance. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Movie has been available for 3 weekends and it still hasn't made 200 million domestic. With or without Walker, that's a weak domestic performance.

Overseas grosses are insanely amazing, but almost half of that belongs to China alone, and they usually only get 25% of these grosses. 

Anyway, let's hope the next movie will be able to get a better domestic performance. 

Fast 9 opening two weeks before Avengers 4 doesn't bode well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

It's still looking like a good bet to pass a billion OS, which considering the worse exchange rates than existed two years ago, is pretty nifty.

The dropoff from F7 is largely expected. I doubt anyone expected it to replicate the 1.5b WW gross. And it pulls in enough that the price tag for the film is completely justified. The Domestic gross is pretty much gravy at this point, considering how it plays overseas. There may not be any films this summer that have a bigger worldwide haul than F8 gets overseas.

The dropoff was expected, I agree, but I thought it would still make a good 250-275M DOM.

3 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Fast 9 opening two weeks before Avengers 4 doesn't bode well.

I love both franchises, but yeah, doesn't bode well at all. F9 should move to September 12th. It would be a Thursday (also Paul Walker's birthday), and would get it away from the enormous summer films that year.

They wanted to set them on Easter weekend, but the problem is Easter doesn't have a set weekend every year, which sometimes means it's dangerously close to the first weekend in May.

Fast 10 will fare better considering that weekend will be the first weekend in April.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheesypoofs said:

Yeah, Fast 10 is fine as is. 9 really should consider moving to September. Paul Walker's birthday is a Thursday that year. That could be a drawing factor.

I think what's currently Fast 9 should be made into the spinoff and make Fast 10 the true Fast 9.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2017 at 1:25 AM, Macleod said:

Well he signed two weeks ago according to TMZ with a meeting with Vin. Universal isn't going to let the rock go over petty shit that can be resolved behind close door.

On 5/1/2017 at 5:22 PM, cheesypoofs said:

That's a good idea. And then end it there. I like these movies, I just don't want them to milk it to death.

It's Hollywood, you are not going to get that wish.

Once it's ended, whenever that truly is, be ready for the reboot that your own child will likely be lining up for as you show him the "classics". :lol: