Premium and Gold members please go to this thread:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24403-paid-perks/

Copper and Silver Accounts please PM me if you have paid past August 1st and care about the "Custom Avatar" (or really larger avatar) perk.

Neo

Thor: Ragnarok | November 3, 2017 | First Trailer p105 | William Hurt Returns as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

The Futurist    22,084

I am pretty sure directors, editors do this almost unconsciously, the music analogy Dash is using works perfectly.

We forget these people see the movies they make hundreds of times in the editing room so they all develop a natural (searching for a better word here) sense of pace and rhythm.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

The Futurist    22,084

Jay, what do you think about the big Hollywood auteurs who go to 2H30, 3h cuts ?

Bay, Fincher, Jackson, Nolan, Cameron, Scorcese, 

• Like 1

Jay Hollywood    13,669
46 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Jay, what do you think about the big Hollywood auteurs who go to 2H30, 3h cuts ?

Bay, Fincher, Jackson, Nolan, Cameron, Scorcese, 

Runtimes don't matter really, as long as they are warranted. Except I do feel usually find most films could do with an extra 5-10 minutes of tightening. 

All of Cameron's Blockbusters are perfectly paced and structured I think. Aliens basically feel like it has 2 3rd acts, but it doesnt matter because you're so invested and the stakes perfectly grow (true Lies almost does this too on an absurd fun scale) . 

Fincher and Scorcese map out there films to be that length. I pretty much really like or love most there movies.  Plus those movies get lost in character are aren't as "plot" (We go here to here to here) driven. 

Those 3  above I wouldn't touch they're edit. 

Bay is a great visual director but he just lets things run to long, which seems to be an ever growing problem for him. 

Jackson, he makes bloated movies, but thats why he's Jackson. I wouldn't want him to do anything less. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't,  but he truly makes adventure films, 2 hour movies when your a kid feel 3 hours so he basically says fuck it I want Adults to feel that lost/endless adventure feeling again. I don't want him to change (even if the hobbit films should have been 2 hours each) 

Nolan haha well I love him to death, he just ambitious, his board ideas are all there, he nails execution of combining scale with emotion but he may trie to squeeze one too many ideas or subplots in his films sometimes (which again can be great or a slight miss)

• Like 8

4815162342    51,274
1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

All of Cameron's Blockbusters are perfectly paced and structured I think. Aliens basically feel like it has 2 3rd acts, but it doesnt matter because you're so invested and the stakes perfectly grow (true Lies almost does this too on an absurd fun scale) . 

I'd argue Aliens has a 5-act structure, though not of uniform length for each act

Act 1 (Prologue)- Ripley is found, woken up, adjusts, sent to assist LV-426 investigation

Act 2- Time on the ship, arrival at LV-426, station investigation, Alien Ambush and being stranded

Act 3- Bunkering down, making plans, Burke tries to infect Ripley and Newt, the base is overrun

Act 4- Ripley goes to the Belly of the Beast to rescue Newt

Act 5 (epilogue)- Get away from her you bitch, the return home

• Like 1

Captain H    260

All this debates about movie structure are fun to read, tbh. I never noticed that most movies did that. Considering it worked the same for longer films, I suppose it worked the same for shorter (<90 minute) films too?

PRESIDENT BKB    12,892
19 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Runtimes don't matter really, as long as they are warranted. Except I do feel usually find most films could do with an extra 5-10 minutes of tightening. 

Fincher and Scorcese map out there films to be that length. I pretty much really like or love most there movies.  Plus those movies get lost in character are aren't as "plot" (We go here to here to here) driven. 

Those 3  above I wouldn't touch they're edit. 

Bay is a great visual director but he just lets things run to long, which seems to be an ever growing problem for him. 

Jackson, he makes bloated movies, but thats why he's Jackson. I wouldn't want him to do anything less. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't,  but he truly makes adventure films, 2 hour movies when your a kid feel 3 hours so he basically says fuck it I want Adults to feel that lost/endless adventure feeling again. I don't want him to change (even if the hobbit films should have been 2 hours each) 

Nolan haha well I love him to death, he just ambitious, his board ideas are all there, he nails execution of combining scale with emotion but he may trie to squeeze one too many ideas or subplots in his films sometimes (which again can be great or a slight miss)

ZODIAC comes to mind from David Fincher with a running time of just over 3 hours.. I highly recommend the "DIRECTOR'S CUT" of ZODIAC complete with the Documentary about this still unsolved murder case now officially closed I believe.. Great movie..

• Like 1

The Futurist    22,084

It s funny that studios very rarely allow a cut above 140/145mn on their tentpoles, only the auteurs are allowed to it seems.

The 150mn is the big psycholigial barrier/frontier you can get close to or match but rarely surpass.

The average length  of a tentpole is around 130mn I think now.

Edited by The Futurist

Barnack    2,239
22 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Average time of the top 25 movie at the box office by year's:

xavg-feature-film-length-sliding-window-

That only up to 2013, but the average seem to be around 125 min yes

• Like 2

The Futurist    22,084

Credits also have never been longer in history : 7 to 12 minutes.

VFX teams and unions to blame for this.

Jlaw had 4(!) people credited in X-Men Apocalypse.

• Like 1

aabattery    16,359

http://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-not-same-tone-guardians-galaxy/

But in a recent interview with Heroic Hollywood, Marvel’s own Kevin Feige teased that Ragnarok is going to be less like Guardians than some fans may think going into it:

“Well, I think I would say it’s, and as people see more of Ragnarok, it’s a Taika tone more than a Guardians tone. He’s really adding a very unique point of view to it, but certainly the success of Guardians just boosted our confidence to continue to go in new, fun, weird directions.”

Fd3TPD3.gif

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 6

Fancyarcher    31,905
On 4/21/2017 at 4:46 PM, The Futurist said:

It s funny that studios very rarely allow a cut above 140/145mn on their tentpoles, only the auteurs are allowed to it seems.

The 150mn is the big psycholigial barrier/frontier you can get close to or match but rarely surpass.

Credits used to way shorter back in the day too. From the 20's to the 50's, with few exceptions, they were practically unheard of, and even then usually just credited the full main cast. These days the studios feel the need to credit everyone on the production team.

Honestly unless there's an after-credit scene, I tend to skip credits once the full cast is listed. I don't have time to sit through the whole thing.

Edited by Fancyarcher

The Futurist    22,084
6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Credits used to way shorter back in the day too. From the 20's to the 50's, with few exceptions, they were practically unheard of, and even then usually just credited the full main cast. These days the studios feel the need to credit everyone on the production team.

Honestly unless there's an after-credit scene, I tend to skip credits once the full cast is listed. I don't have time to sit through the whole thing.

For big VFX movies, credits are now 7-12 minutes depending ...

Dreamworks animation movies credits are ridiculous, they are almost 15 minutes, everyone who works in the Dreamworks Animation structure is listed.

That s a new trend tho, credits for admininstrative staff of production companies , check Marvel Studios , Lionsgate or Lucasfilms movies ...

Edited by The Futurist

PRESIDENT BKB    12,892
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:56 PM, shayhiri said:

aVqVR9M_700b.jpg

I've said all along that it was the Led Zeppelin song that sold the trailer I don't know how many pages back.. Too bad that song won't be in the movie in favor of a more dramatic soundtrack..

Fancyarcher    31,905
Just now, The Futurist said:

For big VFX movies, credits are now 7-12 minutes depending ...

A lot of it depends on whether or not they decide to list the main cast and crew at the beginning, or after the film is over. The later is becoming more and more common these days, and credits are much longer as a result.

The Futurist    22,084
6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

A lot of it depends on whether or not they decide to list the main cast and crew at the beginning, or after the film is over. The later is becoming more and more common these days, and credits are much longer as a result.

Unions asked everyone gets credited on films I think that s why you have such funny credit as Jlaw s personnal hair dresser of Jlaw s security in X Men Apocalypse ( she had 4 people credited just for her in that film).