rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

I'm not really into anime series (mostly watched anime movies). I'm a manga enthusiast though; or I was (don't have much time to read/follow mangas these past couple years)

But I absolutely love love love Death Note. It was simply an incredible show.

I'm also much more of a manga person myself. Most of my anime/manga fix comes from the many weekly series I follow (One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Toriko, Magi, Beelzebub,The World God Only Knows, Assassination Classroom, Kuroko no Basket, Silver Spoon, Zettai Karen Children and Sket Dance).

Also, Death Note was a great show. Honestly, I even like the second half of it (manga only though, 'cause they left a lot of the better stuff out of the anime).

Yu Yu Hakusho

Great Teacher Onizuka

Gintama

Toradora

Welcome to NHK

Another

Watamote

Suisei No Garganti

Kill La Kill

Kill La Kill's only had one (albeit awesome (and bizarre)) episode to date, so it's probably a bit early to be recommending it. I've seen bits of Yu Yu Hakusho and Great Teacher Onizuka and enjoyed it but I've never had time to finish them, considering their length. Gintama and Welcome to the NHK are both great though.

On a different note, I've been reading Yotsuba! which was fantastic. It's that nice of mix of heartwarming, adorable (without being overly saccharine) and hilarious. 

Anyway, once I finished that, I started reading Berserk. Interesting contrast. I spend 80+ chapters following an adorable 5-year old child exploring the world. First chapter into Berserk, I see a small child of about the same age impaled on a pike and being eaten by a snake demon thing.

I miss reading Yotsuba. 

• Like 1

Updated the manga section with more indepth recommendations of Yotsuba&!, Berserk, Holyland and Vinland Saga.

I'm planning on hopefully doing a more indepth review of Trigun, Mushishi and Attack on Titan if I get time in the next few days.

I'm not that impressed with Kill la Kill's second episode. It seemed to emphasize the stuff I disliked about the first episode (the shameless fanservice and kinda creepy humour) instead of the stuff I liked (the over-the-top awesome insanity). Also, I've noticed that I haven't really enjoyed the two main battles of the first two episodes as much as I was expecting to. I'll have to see whether or not it improves next episode.

In the meanwhile, I've started watching some of the other anime of this season, including Log Horizon, Unbreakable Machine Doll and Tokyo Ravens.

Log Horizon pleasantly surprised me. While its premise is very similar to Sword Art Online (which I've never watched and have little intention of watching because of the bad things I've heard of it), it works very well as its own thing. In particular, I really like the dynamic and chemistry the three main characters seem to share and the battles flow very well. Admittedly, the first episode is mostly just set up and the fact that characters apparently respawn after death could feel kinda cheap, but they introduce some interesting themes and ideas in response to the latter. So if it keeps up the quality, this could be my favourite of the season.

Unbreakable Machine Doll is a series I'm interested in seeing where it goes it. It has a good, interesting concept and is pretty enjoyable so far, but I'd like them to explore the world and its potential a lot more than they actually do. Although, this is just early days, so I'll give it a chance.

Tokyo Ravens spends way too much time on its romance elements. The spirits/magic side is the most interesting thing about it, yet I'm constantly stuck with the uninteresting characters living their uninteresting day-to-day lives and their uninteresting love triangle. The only reason I'm not dropping it now is because things look like they're going to get a lot more interesting in the next few episodes.

Currently, my autumn anime rankings are Log Horizon > Kill la Kill/Unbreakable Machine Doll > Tokyo Ravens.

I actually liked the second episode more than the first, I don't think the fanservice is too much, but I hope it doesn't get over the top.

I'm not interessed in the three series you mentioned, but that's because I just don't have the time to follow them all. Did you watch Kyoukai no Kanata? It looks fun, cute and shit but Kyoto Animation has been a bit of a disappointment lately, I was really excited about Tamako Market and in the end it was kinda forgettable.

Just watched the last two episodes of Kill la Kill (after I didn't notice the third ep had been released until a week later) and the series has definitely taken a step up in my opinion. Thought the fight between Ryuko and Satsuki was great as was the whole No-Late day ep.

Log Horizon is still great with some excellently flowing fights. my only problem is that a reasonably major enemy who was pretty heavily foreshadowed was defeated a lot quicker/easier than I expected (although it still took most of the episode) which might end up being a problem in the future.

Tokyo Ravens took a huge leap in quality in its most recent episode. Considering I was very close to dropping it and put off watching the episode for a couple of days because of, I was very impressed. Still not a fantastic series though.

Unbreakable Machine Doll was kinda forgettable this weak. Although I liked the villain reveal.

Currently my rankings are Log Horizon > Kill la Kill > Unbreakable Machine Doll/Tokyo Ravens.

If I get time today I'm going to watch Kyokai no Kanata, since a lot of people have been suggesting it to me (both on here and in real life.)

• Like 1

I have to admit your dedication to this forum is amazing

When you consider how much I had to do for the OP, it's pretty understandable that I'd want to keep it afloat....

Also, it'd be nice to get a small anime community started here and introduce some newcomers to the genre.

In other news, Gatchaman Crowds has just been announced for a second season! Couldn't be happier since it was one of my favourite shows this year, even though I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who watched it. Hopefully it'll explain the final episode a bit more which was pretty confusing (probably due to how rushed it was). I really hope they get Taku Iwasaki back to compose because his soundtrack was one of the best things about the show. I mean, listen to that main theme! If you don't start singing 'Gatchaman!!!' along with it, you have no soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbOi9XJcOg

Also, some news for fans of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Shinichiro Watanabe's (who directed both of those series) next series, Space Dandy, is apparently being broadcast in English, on Toonami, at practically the same time as Japan, which is pretty surprising/awesome..

Edited by rukaio101

Just updated the OP with a bit on Mushishi, as well as adding a few openings/trailers/neat songs to certain entries. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them all, since you can apparently only embed 3 youtube videos to a single post (and I only got a third one through a lot of trail and error.) But I think I picked some good ones. 

Kill la Kill really is getting better, episode 4 was awesome. The fifth one wasn't that good, but I still liked it.

Kill la Kill, for me, seems to modulate between episodes I love (1,3,4+6) and episodes I don't really like (2+5). There's little middle ground. That being said, I'm not sure quite how I felt about the most recent episode (ep 7). Somehow, I simultaneously liked it and disliked it. I blame Mako's family, who I consider the most annoying characters in the show. But the fight between Ryoku and Mako was really pretty intense. 

Anyway, since this is the closest thing we probably have to a Ghibli thread, I figured I might as well post this new trailer for The Wind Rises here. It's awe-inspiring stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imtdgdGOB6Q

You can tell they seem to be going for the Best Animated Feature Oscar push. And Miyazaki deserves it, if you ask me. Too many of his previous animated features have been overlooked.

Great recommendation list. I've never watched a lot of anime but a lot of the ones I did watch/love are on there.

Also I can't stress enough how fantastic FLCL is. It is a short, 6 episode series and definitely worth anyone's time and I highly recommend watching it if anyone gets the chance. Also glad to see Gurren Lagann getting some love, it's been in my personal favorite top 3 anime ever since I watched it.

• Like 2

^FLCL is a massive mindfuck but by god is it a good one.

Anyway, I just binge watched the entirety of Fate Zero. While I found Fate Stay Night to be kind of average, this was a massive improvement and I really really enjoyed it. If it wasn't a prequel, I'd probably do a more indepth review of it on the OP, although it's pretty watchable on its own.

Also got around to watching the recent Berserk: Golden Age Arc trilogy of films. While I thought the manga was better, they were pretty good as well. Some of the battle scenes were spectacular, especially the first battle in the 1st movie and Dolbray Castle in the 2nd movie. They even came close to matching the manga. The Eclipse was as disturbing as ever though. While I consider the manga to be best, I'd definitely recommend them. Still yet to watch the anime though.

• Like 1

Finally managed to find a decently subbed copy of the new Gintama movie. And my God was that worth the wait. I don't think there's been a movie released this year which has made me laugh so much. In addition, it manages to handle the rare dramatic moments so well and the action and animation were just fantastic. It's my current #2 favourite of the year, after Pacific Rim.

It's also reminded me that I really need to do an entry for Gintama on the opening page

So, I just finished watching Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day and daaaaaaamn. I haven't cried like that in a long, long time

AnoHana is great, but I thought the ending was too dramatic, they could have cried a little less.

I just finished Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and I need to keep up with Kill la Kill now.

AnoHana is great, but I thought the ending was too dramatic, they could have cried a little less.

I just finished Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and I need to keep up with Kill la Kill now.

That I agree with. It was TOO dramatic, but it was still sad as fuck.

It's a bizarre coincidence that you two started talking about Ano Hana just as I was thinking about making it the next on my 'to watch' list....