rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

Already done. Binged the entire series in one day. Great stuff. I should probably write an entry for it on the OP.

So, to give my two cents on the discussion on the ending, I agree there were a few moments that went a bit too far in the melodrama. But the ending was still overall very good. 

Rukaio, have you ever read the manga series Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken?I know you're well versed in Japanese animations, which is awesome btw; but any good manga ( which you are also knowledgable of) you would suggest? Since I'm pretty free at the moment, I would like to read some new and interesting titles.

Edited by Sam

Already done. Binged the entire series in one day. Great stuff. I should probably write an entry for it on the OP.

So, to give my two cents on the discussion on the ending, I agree there were a few moments that went a bit too far in the melodrama. But the ending was still overall very good. 

Wow, that was fast  :P

Rukaio, have you ever read the manga series Dragon Quest: Dai no Daiboken?I know you're well versed in Japanese animations, which is awesome btw; but any good manga ( which you are also knowledgable of) you would suggest? Since I'm pretty free at the moment, I would like to read some new and interesting titles.

No. Is it related to the Dragon Quest videogame series, since those are apparently ridiculously popular in Japan?

And sure I'll give you some manga recommendations. I actually tend to read more manga than I do watch anime (although that's mostly because I follow about 10 weekly series). There's a list of recommendations in the thread but I'll be happy to give you more personal ones based on your tastes, if you tell me exactly what kind of series you enjoy/are looking for? And are you looking for very long-running series (200 chapters +), or series that have already finished?

No. Is it related to the Dragon Quest videogame series, since those are apparently ridiculously popular in Japan?And sure I'll give you some manga recommendations. I actually tend to read more manga than I do watch anime (although that's mostly because I follow about 10 weekly series). There's a list of recommendations in the thread but I'll be happy to give you more personal ones based on your tastes, if you tell me exactly what kind of series you enjoy/are looking for? And are you looking for very long-running series (200 chapters +), or series that have already finished?

Sorry for the late reply.I'm not sure, I think it related to the video game you mentioned. There are a few Dragon Quest titles, but Dai no Daiboken is the best. It's pretty long but I like the series a lot. So just asking if you heard of it. About recommendations, I think I would prefer finished series first, don't mind of the length though. I guess you know of shounen mostly, so let's stay within that category. I like detective works, treasure hunting, a bit of romance maybe. Series with multiple protagonists would be better than just one or two. Historical dramas work too. That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll add more when it comes to me if you don't mind.Thanks for your help, Rukaio. Really appreciate that :)

I like detective works, treasure hunting, a bit of romance maybe. Series with multiple protagonists would be better than just one or two.

When it comes to detective works, the two main ones that come to mind, that I've read, are Detective Conan (You might better know it as Case Closed) and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. I'd also mention Death Note but I recall you saying you've already seen that (although the second half of the manga is a lot better than the anime (since they skipped a lot of interesting details and events))

Detective Conan is about a genius high school detective who is accidentally shrunken down to a small child by an evil organisation. It's one of the longest running manga period with, to date, 880 chapters released and still going. However, before you get turned off by the idea of 880 chapters of plot, I should tell you it's pretty much the anime/manga equivalent of a procedural crime drama (starring Sherlock Holmes if he wasn't such a social recluse and he was shrunk down into a child). It's mostly made up of filler cases that last a few chapters with only a small amount of plot related chapters once in a blue moon. So it's pretty easy to get into. There's a bit of romance every once in a while, both between main and filler characters.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is a lot weirder, but really very good in its own right. (I already have it on the list of manga recommendations). It's about a demon from another dimension who feeds on mysteries and comes to our universe to seek out and devour the best mysteries.... It makes about as much sense in context. The series starts out much like Detective Conan with filler cases (although I find they tend to be a lot more interesting and inventive than Conan's) before slowly becoming more of a battle manga but in kind of a unique way. It's a finished series coming in at just over 200 chapters. I'll admit the art isn't particularly good and it take a while to really grow the beard but it's totally worth watching.

The only other series I can think of that kinda sorta fits all four of those is Umineko no Naku Koro Ni which is one of the most meta (and good) series I've ever read (as well as being Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni's sister series). It's about a large wealthy family who gather on their mansion on a large secluded island to discuss their family inheritance, but they are slowly picked up in a series of bizarre and sometimes seemingly impossible murders that appear to be being committed by the island's guardian, the Golden Witch Beatrice. One of the family members, a teen named Battler (yeah, there are a few weird names here and there) remains constantly sceptical of Beatrice's involvement in the murders eventually leading the real Beatrice to challenge him to a game of sorts where he must live through multiple loops of the murders (with many changes each time) and work out a way for the murders to have happened without the involvement of witches. Does that sound confusing to you? Well, believe me, it's very much an oversimplified explanation. This series makes Inception look childishly simple and you really have to pay attention to keep up. But it's most definitely worth the read and one of the most interesting series. There are technically 8 series (or episodes as they're called) to it (like the Visual Novel it's based on). Each episode represents a loop and are about 26 (longish) chapters each. 1-5 are already finished and 6-8 are still coming out. There is an anime but I'd avoid it since it cuts out a lot of important details and basically makes no sense as a result.

Historical dramas work too.

For a Historical Drama it's got to be Vinland Saga, a historical drama about Vikings. I've already talked about it in the OP but it's really one of my favourite series. The characters are 3-Dimensional and interesting to follow and the art is absolutely incredible. Naturally, as a drama about vikings, there's a lot of blood, gore and dark elements though, but nothing much worse than, say, Attack on Titan. It's a still ongoing monthly series with about 100 longish chapters to it. 

Bizarrely, I've just realised there is one series which not only fits all your conditions surprisingly well but is actually my joint favourite manga series of all time (tied with One Piece (which only has the treasure hunting aspect). That is, Fullmetal Alchemist. While it's not any of your suggestions outright, it has detective elements to it, the story pretty much revolves (at the beginning at least) around a treasure hunt for the Philosophers stone, there's a bit of romance to it, it has multiple protagonists (although one is still technically the main) and, while it takes place on a different reality, there are a lot of historical anachronisms in that world that make it kind of like an early/mid 1900's drama. It's also finished with 108 chapters to it. And, as I mentioned, it's one of the best series I've read. Ever.

So that's a fair number of suggestions for you to have a go with. If I were to rank them in terms of quality, I'd say...

Fullmetal Alchemist > Vinland Saga > Umineko No Naku Koro Ni > Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro > Detective Conan

But naturally, since I'm recommending them in the first place, they're all good series. I'd advise you go with Fullmetal Alchemist first because, as I said, it's one of the best series I've read ever and it fits your conditions actually pretty well.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

Thanks Rukaio. I'll check them out.

Out of those you mentioned, I only know of Detective Conan. Actually, I was an avid reader and follower of that series, but haven't read new chapters of it for a while due to time constraints and mostly cause of the foot-dragging plots/story. The one big thing I'm curious about right now is what exactly happened to Shuichi Akai, is he alive, is he dead? They kept introducing new mysterious characters and antagonists and like you said, only once in a blue moon, actually do a big reveal to tie things up. At this point, I think no matter how shocking or clever the ending, and reveal of the big boss is, there will be major plot holes involved.

I remembered reading a pretty good detective manga called Kindaichi Case Files. Let's see if I can find it online for a reread. 

Heard a lot of good things about Fullmetal Alchemist so gotta start on that as soon as possible it seems. 

Watched:

The Devil is a Part Timer

Silver Spoon 

Currently watching:

Attack on Titan

And randomly just watched Tokyo Godfathers - and by God, it was amazing. I think it might be my favorite animated movie ever, or at least anime.

Thanks Rukaio. I'll check them out.

Out of those you mentioned, I only know of Detective Conan. Actually, I was an avid reader and follower of that series, but haven't read new chapters of it for a while due to time constraints and mostly cause of the foot-dragging plots/story. The one big thing I'm curious about right now is what exactly happened to Shuichi Akai, is he alive, is he dead? 

I have absolutely no idea who that is. Either I never got to his bit or I forgot his name because I suck at remembering names. Especially Japanese ones.

And randomly just watched Tokyo Godfathers - and by God, it was amazing. I think it might be my favorite animated movie ever, or at least anime.

Satoshi Kon is one of the most underrated anime directors in the West. Even if most of his work is a massive mindfuck. Especially Paranoia Agent.

Just finished watching Attack on Titan. Alright series, I'd say. The animation was kinda meh sometimes and there were way too many monologues that made the characters seem like the ultimate poets, but it had great characters, drama and action scenes that worked well.Also, does anyone know any anime's with a female main (only). Drama preferably

Edited by ChD

Animation was meh?The animation in Attack on Titan is incredible - one of the best I've seen in a while (and also consistent).

Well I haven't seen to many animes to be able to compare them so maybe it's just my high expectations.

While I've still yet to finish the anime of Attack of Titan, mostly because I already read the manga (which has pretty awful art, but makes many of the annoying speeches easier to swallow), so I can't entirely judge. That said, from what I saw, I wouldn't be surprised if ChD was turned off by some of the... goofier-looking Titan moments (at least before they start eating people). But AoT also has some really good animated moments, as my sig suggests.

Also, does anyone know any anime's with a female main (only). Drama preferably

The only ones I can think off that I've seen are either more comedy or action focused (since I'm not a massive drama guy), or have a male character with too much presence for it the female to be called the sole main (like Toradora). But here they are, if you're really interested, along with some highly rated ones I haven't entirely seen but heard good things about.

Bamboo Blade (although it appears the male kendo teacher is the main at the beginning, he really isn't)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (more scifi/action and probably ought to be seen after watching the movie(s))

Serial Experiments Lain (not seen but heard very good things about)

Ouran High School Host Club (much more of a romantic comedy mainly aimed towards females (but with good enough jokes and storytelling to appeal to men), but gets more dramatic towards the end)

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (pretty much the Neon Genesis Evangelion of magical girl anime, except less whiny and more coherent)

Azumanga Daioh (Slice of life comedy. Little to no drama. It's in the OP.)

Claymore (Only managed to read the first few chapters of the manga, but apparently it's a good Berserk-esque series. 

Anyway, has anyone been keeping up with any series in the Winter 2014 so far? In addition to Log Horizon, the only series I'm carrying over from Autumn, I'm currently following Space Dandy (obviously), Noragami and Nobunagun as well as semi-following Nobunaga the Fool and Wizard Barristers (although for the latter I'm really not sure why).

Full list of Winter 2014 releases here

• Like 2

Also, does anyone know any anime's with a female main (only). Drama preferably

Shigofumi and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, although the last one isn't really drama.

I'm not following winter, I started OreImo 2nd season yesterday. It looks kinda mediocre, but I'll watch it anyway.

I'm not following winter, I started OreImo 2nd season yesterday. It looks kinda mediocre, but I'll watch it anyway.

You're not even following Space Dandy? He is the dandiest guy in space, you know.

Kals Movies that get your fists pumping :

Wonder Woman 2009:(Ill put this against even some of the best animes--Well Done WB!)

SUperman/Batman Apokliaspe  :)

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust(Second film in the franchise--wonderful!!!)

Fists of the North Star.

--You will give the people  of earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun.In time, you will help them accomplish wonders!!

Edited by Superman001

Kals Movies that get your fists pumping :

Wonder Woman 2009:(Ill put this against even some of the best animes--Well Done WB!)

SUperman/Batman Apokliaspe  :)

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust(Second film in the franchise--wonderful!!!)

Fists of the North Star.

--You will give the people  of earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun.

In time, you will help them accomplish wonders!!

Posted Image

Also, don't post MoS quotes in my thread.