rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

2 hours ago, Super Robertman2 Odyssey said:

A Persona 5 adaption was announced for next year! Yay! Two animes I'm looking forward to next year! Three if an adaptation of Vento Aureo happens next year

Great game. How are they going to compress 100+ hours into around 8.

10 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Great game. How are they going to compress 100+ hours into around 8.

Dunno. Probably 26 episodes so they'd have more than 8. And lot of the time is dungeon crawling or grinding social stats. Hell, maybe they'll pull a Rebirth of Evangelion and go off the rails.

All I want is for Joker to romance Kawakami.

Edited by Super Robertman2 Odyssey

36 minutes ago, Super Robertman2 Odyssey said:

Dunno. Probably 26 episodes so they'd have more than 8. And lot of the time is dungeon crawling or grinding social stats. Hell, maybe they'll pull a Rebirth of Evangelion and go off the rails.

All I want is for Joker to romance Kawakami.

My man. Thats what I did.

8 hours is 24 episodes worth. The story still accounts probably over 25. They will have to skip at least half the treasures/dungeons and shorten other parts. Im all for it but damn its going to need some fast pacing and massive restructure the story.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

My man. Thats what I did.

8 hours is 24 episodes worth. The story still accounts probably over 25. They will have to skip at least half the treasures/dungeons and shorten other parts. Im all for it but damn its going to need some fast pacing and massive restructure the story.

Hoping it gets a longer episode count. Or they just cut out a lot of filler (Bye Ohya and airlock puzzles!). I also hope they do both the good and true endings like the P4 anime, bonus points if we see the fallout of the good ending.

And yeah, Kawakami is amazing. Love her character, her design, her confidenant chain and the Special Massages. Haru and Tae are pretty good too

20 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

Yeah... This is concerning...

Sony Pictures TV Networks to Acquire Funimation, Valuing Anime Distributor at $150 Million

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sony-pictures-tv-funimation-acquisition-1202511492/

It should not change too much, especially short term. Biggest change will be the funi x crunchyroll partnership will probably end and both services will battle for exclusives again.

Whats concerning is now we have 4 services all going for exclusives. Its really dividing up the market

16 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

It should not change too much, especially short term. Biggest change will be the funi x crunchyroll partnership will probably end and both services will battle for exclusives again.

Whats concerning is now we have 4 services all going for exclusives. Its really dividing up the market

Just kill Amazon and we'll be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, eXtacy said:

The reason I'm concerened it's because the last time Sony bought an anime related company was a latin american channel called Locomotion witch they changed the name to Animax only to then 2 years later show live action bullshit instead of the 24 hour anime content they promised. Animax LA closed five years later.

Sony as a company is fucking up so many things right now and this purchase of Funimation brings me flashbacks of Locomotion and it's demise by Sony.

I hope this doesn't change too much at Funimation.  I like their current web setup a lot now.  However, buyouts like this usually lead to people getting fired and new people taking over, even if they claim "business as usual."  

For anyone interested, King of Fighters: Destiny episodes 1 and 2 are now subbed on YouTube from SNK:

01-01.jpg

Wow. This anime was truly a rollercoaster of emotion. I've never seen any movie or TV show that changes my mood while watching it so constantly. Assassination Classroom is definetly up there with all the greats. Koro Sensei obvioulsy being the best character of the whole show. If you haven't watched it I highly recommend it. It's 2 seasons.

The ending also destroyed me like no other show ever did. Not even Angel Beats made me cry this much.

9.8/10

I also highly recommend to watch this little show called Bakuman

1350632226_1_3.jpg

It's 3 seasons. 25 episodes each. It's basically the Shirobako of the Manga Industry, about a boy named Mashiro whose convinced by his school mate Shiujin that he enters into Shounen Jack Magazine to make manga and be famous, Shiujin makes the stories and Mashiro makes the art. To boost his commitment, Mashiro's crush Azuki Miho, a girl who wants to become an anime voice actress promise to each other that if Mashiro's manga becomes famous and she makes the voice of the heroine of the anime adaptation of that manga then they have to get married. In the process Mashiro and Shiujin goes through all kinds of challenges to make it big into the Manga Industry.

It's really good and really addictive. I highly recommend this one two because of it's tense and unpredictable ride. This is another anime that actually managed to get a perfect score out of me for it's gripping storytelling and character development. And the soundtrack is amazing too. Seriously, watch this one whenever you can, you'll not gonna regret it.

10/10

Edited by Boxx93

So, I watched an early screening of the Netflix live-action Death Note movie last night. Long story short, it sucked donkey balls. Don't go see it.

**Minor spoilers*

Seriously, you'd think that the central focus of a Death Note movie might be on the cat-and-mouse game between Light and L or Light's descent into his own God Complex. Not the teenage hormonal romance between whiny teenage Light and his psycho girlfriend (with power issues that were clear from the very off), which is what the Netflix movie chooses to focus on. Hell, L himself gets massively shafted into more-or-less a side character role (and turns into a gibbering idiot in the second half.) You could probably write him out with minimal difficulties.

Now, I'm aware I'm going to be almost perpetually biased against any major changes in the story/characters/whatever, having already seen/read the original source material. And I did go into the movie trying to keep an open mind, especially since I know changes are needed for such a dense story like Death Note. But this movie clearly didn't understand the source material, nor the storytelling involved, because so many of the changes are not only pointless, but actively serve to undermine the film and the whole thing worse. Even minor stuff like *mild spoilers* Light being coerced into his first kill by Ryuk hurts the point of the original source material and the movie's payoff is not nearly good enough to justify it.

Now, I'm not going to say there wasn't stuff I didn't like about the movie. Willem Dafoe is clearly having great fun as a more sinister Ryuk (and is probably MVP for me). In fact, most of the acting is pretty solid all around. And there are some interesting ideas here and there. But everything else is just dumb. The characters act dumb, the story is dumb, there are some truly ridiculous stretches in logic to make said dumb story work and, while it may have been trying to be its own thing, overall said thing not only paled into comparison to the original, but was just kinda crap on its own rights.

Honestly, I'm probably going to end up writing a longer review on it sooner or later, going into more depth and spoilers and the like, but I honestly really ended up fucking hating it by the end. Like really hating. I don't know whether someone less familiar with the source material might end up enjoying it or just hating it less, but, for me at least, it's an absolute failure of an adaptation and does not stand up on its own merits either.

Oh, I also saw Ancien and the Magic Tablet. That was fun.

14 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

So, I watched an early screening of the Netflix live-action Death Note movie last night. Long story short, it sucked donkey balls. Don't go see it.

**Minor spoilers*

Seriously, you'd think that the central focus of a Death Note movie might be on the cat-and-mouse game between Light and L or Light's descent into his own God Complex. Not the teenage hormonal romance between whiny teenage Light and his psycho girlfriend (with power issues that were clear from the very off), which is what the Netflix movie chooses to focus on. Hell, L himself gets massively shafted into more-or-less a side character role (and turns into a gibbering idiot in the second half.) You could probably write him out with minimal difficulties.

Now, I'm aware I'm going to be almost perpetually biased against any major changes in the story/characters/whatever, having already seen/read the original source material. And I did go into the movie trying to keep an open mind, especially since I know changes are needed for such a dense story like Death Note. But this movie clearly didn't understand the source material, nor the storytelling involved, because so many of the changes are not only pointless, but actively serve to undermine the film and the whole thing worse. Even minor stuff like *mild spoilers* Light being coerced into his first kill by Ryuk hurts the point of the original source material and the movie's payoff is not nearly good enough to justify it.

Now, I'm not going to say there wasn't stuff I didn't like about the movie. Willem Dafoe is clearly having great fun as a more sinister Ryuk (and is probably MVP for me). In fact, most of the acting is pretty solid all around. And there are some interesting ideas here and there. But everything else is just dumb. The characters act dumb, the story is dumb, there are some truly ridiculous stretches in logic to make said dumb story work and, while it may have been trying to be its own thing, overall said thing not only paled into comparison to the original, but was just kinda crap on its own rights.

Honestly, I'm probably going to end up writing a longer review on it sooner or later, going into more depth and spoilers and the like, but I honestly really ended up fucking hating it by the end. Like really hating. I don't know whether someone less familiar with the source material might end up enjoying it or just hating it less, but, for me at least, it's an absolute failure of an adaptation and does not stand up on its own merits either.

Oh, I also saw Ancien and the Magic Tablet. That was fun.

:gold:

I'm still watching it (I binged the anime a second time before). Nothing to watch in theaters at the moment anyway.

On 9/8/2017 at 10:53 AM, eXtacy said:

Well my night can be summed up as watching children suffer. First I saw IT and just now i watched Made in Abyss which was even more brutal! Like damn, anyone here watching Abyss weekly, did you feel as uncomfortable as I?

Finally got around to watching it. Really good episode, but I actually didn't find it that brutal. I think the effect of that scene might have been lessened because the internet gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect going in. Nevertheless, it really raised the stakes and I have no idea where the story will go from here. 

On 9/15/2017 at 0:03 PM, elcaballero said:

Finally got around to watching it. Really good episode, but I actually didn't find it that brutal. I think the effect of that scene might have been lessened because the internet gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect going in. Nevertheless, it really raised the stakes and I have no idea where the story will go from here. 

Apparently it gets worse, the brutality from here. Last episode is going to be an hour long, yay!

Made in Abyss will be anime of the year. That finale was just so well made. I loved every second and it left me wanting so much more. Still have the fall season to go but it will take something extra special to beat it.

Made-in-Abyss-01-03.jpg

Might have to go read the source material.... something I rarely do.