New 2017 Spoiler Policy

First, a slight adjustment for a movie’s main thread: no untagged spoilers within four (4) weeks of its North American release. After that point, spoiler discussion is allowed. For other threads (in other words, in all threads except the movie's main thread), no untagged spoilers until the movie is released on home video in North America. "Released on home video" means Digital HD or Bluray/disc, whatever comes first.

In a specific movie’s thread, you don’t need to specify what topic you’re spoiling. In general threads, tagged spoilers are fine, as long as you indicate what movie it's for. For example:

(INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE spoilers)

Maika Monroe’s scream is powerful enough to destroy alien shields.

Note: When a big blockbuster has a special Spoiler thread and another Spoiler-Free thread, spoilers are not allowed in the Spoiler-Free thread at all. The threads will be merged after the 4-week window and at that point it can be treated like a normal thread. This is the same policy we have right now, so people should be familiar with it.

Some movies do not have a theatrical release and go straight to VOD, or were produced specifically for streaming services (Netflix, Amazon). For those projects, we will assume a reasonable 2-month "theatrical" window where spoilers will apply. For example, if Netflix releases a movie on Jan. 20, spoilers would need to be tagged until March 20.

Suspensions/warnings/bans

Punishments will be up to the discretion of the staff, given the severity of what was spoiled and our interpretation of the intent. Someone who maliciously posts huge un-tagged spoilers for a highly anticipated movie — especially in an un-related thread —risks a long suspension or even a permaban. On the other hand, an excited conversation about a movie where someone accidentally slips too much detail into an answer may only get a PM, points, or a 24-hour suspension.

We think these new rules will help everyone, especially when it comes to platform releases around Oscar season and movies that have long international rollouts. That being said, we’re open to feedback and suggestions if someone has an idea they feel would help.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CJohn

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them | Nov. 18, 2016 | Crosses 800M WW

4,744 posts in this topic

Alexander Skarsgard Tarzan movie :rofl:

OOF.

I think this might be able to hit over $600m worldwide. Or am I being too optimistic?

2 people like this

Am sooo happy this is happening!My ticket already sold!

1 person likes this

I think this might be able to hit over $600m worldwide. Or am I being too optimistic?

Too pessimistic, IMO.

Am sooo happy this is happening!My ticket already sold!

Potter making people happy all the way in Africa. 

Bless this series for eternity.

4 people like this

Alexander Skarsgard Tarzan movie :rofl:

Flop in the making. How do things like that get greenlight? 

1 person likes this

i was wondering what would take the november primetime slot after mockingjay part 2 i guess now we know

This is opening 5 days before my most anticipated untitled animation

1 person likes this

This is opening 5 days before my most anticipated untitled animation

What's that about again?

What's that about again?

The best of the 700 untitled films on the schedule with nothing known about them B)

JK Rowling is writing a completely new storyline and drafting the screenplays herself. Anybody thinking these will be Hobbit 2.0 are crazy. As the biggest HP fan on this board by default I'm more excited for this than the birth of my first child.

1 person likes this

For Director I'm hoping for Del Toro.

1 person likes this

In a couple months, they will say JK Rowling has so much fantastic material that this will be split into 2 movies to be filmed back to back. I am only interested in this because she is writing the screenplay.

In a couple months, they will say JK Rowling has so much fantastic material that this will be split into 2 movies to be filmed back to back. I am only interested in this because she is writing the screenplay.

They actually already announced this will be a trilogy ;)

1 person likes this

They actually already announced this will be a trilogy ;)

Posted Image

JK Rowling is writing a completely new storyline and drafting the screenplays herself. Anybody thinking these will be Hobbit 2.0 are crazy.As the biggest HP fan on this board by default I'm more excited for this than the birth of my first child.

OKAY.

3 people like this

Fantastic Beasts getting the November slot isn't surprising, it was pretty empty apart from Trolls and Untitled Disney Animation. I think we'll likely get another live action tentpole in the November 11th slot, whether its something like Star Trek 3 or a Marvel film.

1 person likes this

JK Rowling is writing a completely new storyline and drafting the screenplays herself. Anybody thinking these will be Hobbit 2.0 are crazy.As the biggest HP fan on this board by default I'm more excited for this than the birth of my first child.

Yeah... keep believing that. 

1 person likes this

JK Rowling is writing a completely new storyline and drafting the screenplays herself. Anybody thinking these will be Hobbit 2.0 are crazy. As the biggest HP fan on this board by default I'm more excited for this than the birth of my first child.

I'm the biggest Potter fan on this board so don't even dare say such a thing again.
8 people like this