baumer

Putting International BO Numbers in Perspective

The reason I sugest taking the number 15th movie and not the the first is to make it less susceptible to statistical outliers. For instance in 2009 AVATAR was a total outlier, meaning in it underperformed DOM, so you get smaller factors.

Well, I get the point about outliers, but I don't think Avatar underperformed in the US. I just think the international box office is that much bigger than the US box office. It's just that it isn't usually united behind a single Hollywood film like that.

Yes, but I see ROTK did nearly the same amount in dollars in 2003 (5 years earlier than Mamma mia!):ROTK - 24.1 millionMamma mia! - 25.059 millionI suspect ROTK had more admissions than Mamma mia!. Exchange rate was higher in 2008 than 2003 (0.15 vs 0.13, 15%), and I suppose prices would be higher too.

Just looked the admissions up. Mamma Mia sold 1,904,978 tickets. Return of the King sold 1,836,763. Fellowship however, sold1,942,793 tickets.

Just looked the admissions up. Mamma Mia sold 1,904,978 tickets. Return of the King sold 1,836,763. Fellowship however, sold1,942,793 tickets.

So Swedish liked a lot LOTR. Do you think we could see similar numbers for The Hobbit?

So Swedish liked a lot LOTR. Do you think we could see similar numbers for The Hobbit?

I think the numbers for the Hobbit are definitely going to be big. We haven't had a really big hit movie so far this year, and the Swedish audience went gaga for the Lord of the Rings movies. I don't know if the numbers will be at quite the same level as the Rings, but I definitely expect The Hobbit to blow the competition out of the water. Skyfall should be able to do quite well too, as the latest two Bond films were both bigger than the biggest film so far this year, but it won't stand up to The Hobbit.
  • Like 1

I hope BOM will one day develop an algorithm that will automatically adjust international grosses by country for inflation. It is doable for most developed and developing countries. The information needed is out there. It will be labor intensive getting the algorithm set up but once it's up and running the hardest part is done.

• Like 2

I hope BOM will one day develop an algorithm that will automatically adjust international grosses by country for inflation. It is doable for most developed and developing countries. The information needed is out there. It will be labor intensive getting the algorithm set up but once it's up and running the hardest part is done.

for most countries there are admission-numbers for movies

I've updated the first post. Here is what I have.Australia: 10:1China: 4.5:1New Zealand: 60:1Russia: 9:1Brazil: 13:1Germany: 9:1Italy: 11:1Japan: 5:1Mexico: 14:1South Korea: 10:1Spain: 12.5:1UK: 6:1Sweden: 35-40:1What about Finland, Poland, Portugal? There are members here from those regions. Can you guys help?

Okay thanks Cjohn and Tower. So Exp2 is on it's way to doing more than 100 mill equivalent in Finland. Great!

Well, The Expendables already did more than 150M here in our equivalent. We really love some good old stuff. American Pie 4 did the equivalent of 200M+ in America here.
  • Like 1

In Israel Superhero's tend to make less than DOM, Avengers made the equivalent of 245M (much higher than the Iron Men, which made 61M and 68M) and TDKR made 265M so far. On the other hand the Summer "overachievers" are Mad3 with 433M so far and IA4 with 327M so far.But nothing this year comes near the Smurfs, which made a massive 647M last year.

In Israel Superhero's tend to make less than DOM, Avengers made the equivalent of 245M (much higher than the Iron Men, which made 61M and 68M) and TDKR made 265M so far. On the other hand the Summer "overachievers" are Mad3 with 433M so far and IA4 with 327M so far.But nothing this year comes near the Smurfs, which made a massive 647M last year.

HOLY SHEET!

so Israel is more like Europe than America

so Israel is more like Europe than America

I suppose, but there are examples where Israel differs from the European norm:HP8 (335M) made less than Inception (367M) and barely half of the Smurfs.Fast Five (295M) beating HP7 (246M), HP6 (215M), HP5 (247M).The Dictator (239M) making similar numbers to TASM (234M).Shrek4 (452M) destroying Shrek3 (277M) and Shrek2 (377M).Revenge Of The Sith (80M) making less than a lot of smaller films, like 40 Year Old Virgin (120M), Hitch (112M), Wedding Crashers (106M) etc. Edited by Tower

Maybe a bit higher. Last 3 years it is between 7.25:1 and 7.75:1. I have done some quick calculations and I have obtained that range

How do you find the yearly box office for any country? I know Inny Binny did that at Mojo. So the easiest way to figure it out was if the US did 10 billion in sales and Australia did say 1 billion in sales, then that is where the 10:1 ratio comes from. But Mojo doesn't list a yearly sales chart. And I'm not adding up 300 movies for each country to come up with a ratio.