pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

3 hours ago, Joel M said:

I'm not specifically talking about rom coms. She didn't do any kind of movie for a while. She was quickly getting higher in the Hollywood pecking order, she must have had some good projects offered to her.

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

She was being offered a lot of girlfriend roles in big films - Batman Begins, Iron Man etc - and years later wound up doing with Doctor Strange - except she played the ex girlfriend. 

She was attached to Passengers for a while, when it was going to be Keanu Reeves's project.

3 minutes ago, trifle said:

She was attached to Passengers for a while, when it was going to be Keanu Reeves's project.

Yeah, but that was around 2013/2014 - more than half a decade on.

She eventually did choose a blockbuster - Sherlock Holmes in 2009 and Irene Adler was a good part.  The sequel had many problems, and one of them was her absence through most of it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, but that was around 2013/2014 - more than half a decade on.

She eventually did choose a blockbuster - Sherlock Holmes in 2009 and Irene Adler was a good part.  The sequel had many problems, and one of them was her absence through most of it.

I wasn't sure when she was attached, Keanu was trying to get it made for a long time, and had Reese Witherspoon, Emily Blunt and McAdams attached at different times.  Yeah, she must have made a conscious decision not to accept parts for a while, then.

Studios want to focus on stupidly expensive blockubsters that can make a ton of money, cheap romcoms no longer have any appeal for them.

Also I think females have switched to reading cheap romance paperbacks/digital books for their needs.

• Like 1

I am really sad that Rom-Coms are dead. Sure there were alot of bad ones, but the 1990s and early 2000s had some great ones.

When Harry Met Sally 

Sleepless in Seattle

Clueless (although it was a bit more than a Rom-com) 

My Best Friend's Wedding

You've Got Mail

Notting Hill 

13 Going on 30

While You Were Sleeping

Jerry Maguire 

All great movies. 

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

Crazy Rich Asians bringing back the romcom? Or maybe the romcom diversifying beyond just white people

Or frankly, the movie is more of a hit due to its novelty and identity appeal that generates a ton of extra buzz from the media. 

35 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Is the new George Clooney/Julia Roberts romcom a theatrical joint? I think that will be a good case study for whether theatrical romcoms are dead or whether the 2010s just haven't had the stars to propel them

It is.