pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

They're not dead, they're just R-rated now and they try to target both sexes instead of just women. The bad ones are dead though. Audiences have smartened up in that regard. Although the younglings still turn out for those dreadful Sparks dramas on opening weekend. 

Silver Linings Playbook, anyone? Yes, that was basically a rom-com. Crazy, Stupid, Love did pretty well too. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 6

The Room is a rom-com?

Posted Image

The Room was everything and nothing. It contained all the genres and was a genre in itself. It was Yin to Cameroon's Yang. A blip in the time space continuum. One step ahead makes you a genius, two steps ahead makes you a crackpot. You didn't watch The Room. The Room watched you. Anyways, hows your sex life?

• Like 5

I think we're now starting to get more female oriented comedies, romantic comedies that appeal to both sexes, or just pure romance movies.

Look at last year with movies like We're the Millers, The Great Gatsby, The Heat, and Identity Thief, the audience is still there, they have just migrated to more appealing movies.

Another one that sticks out was Pitch Perfect, it was a rom com, just with a twist and it was actually funny.

There are 2014 movies that look like they'll be able to pull something similar as well,

The Fault in Our Stars

Think Like a Man Too

Tammy

Mom's Night (possibly, I am much more confident about the top 3)

There's also Mean Moms and Pitch Perfect 2 coming.

• Like 1

The Room was everything and nothing. It contained all the genres and was a genre in itself. It was Yin to Cameroon's Yang. A blip in the time space continuum. One step ahead makes you a genius, two steps ahead makes you a crackpot. You didn't watch The Room. The Room watched you. Anyways, hows your sex life?

I can't tell you that. Anyway, let's go play catch - I just got my tuxedo back from the cleaners.

• Like 5

There haven't been any romantic comedies I've truly liked since Crazy, Stupid, Love. back in 2011. After CSL I actually thought Emma Stone might become the next rom-com queen, she certainly had all the ingredients, young, pretty (girl next door good looks, not Hollywood bombshell), perfect comedic timing and expressive face, but she decided on a more diverse career.

Really, there is no clear rom-com queen these days, and there hasn't been for quite a while (Aniston does them, but she's not really dominant force). Without a proven bankable star doing rom-coms we probably won't see a steady stream of successful rom-coms, just the usual studio shotgun approach where a few get made every year, usually modestly budget movies, where they hope 1 hits and maybe creates a new star. While this approach has had some decent hits, it hasn't really created a new bankable star in this genre (and no, I don't consider Melissa McCarthy a rom-com lead, she's more of a straight comedy actress)

I can't tell you that. Anyway, let's go play catch - I just got my tuxedo back from the cleaners.

Well I can tell you something. I just got the test results back. I DEFINITELY have breast cancer.

• Like 2

(and no, I don't consider Melissa McCarthy a rom-com lead, she's more of a straight comedy actress)

Agree, she didn't have love interests in Identity Thief and The Heat. She's really a comedian

On topic, there is just no appealing female star to headline a romcom these days. No Meg Ryan or Julia Roberts

Katherine Heigl briefly almost became one though

I think romcom will find its way back again in the box office.

And yes Crazy, Stupid, Love was my last favorite US romcom although that's not the typical boy-meets-girl romcom

• Like 1

The Great Gatsby did well enough...

Anyway, they're not dead. They're just so fucking standard nowadays. Any movie can do well as long as it's done well. Look at The Great Gatsby, Titanic (I consider that a Romantic Comedy above a Disaster movie), The Wedding Crashers (once more, Romantic Comedy), Silver Linings Playbook.

This just proves that as long as the movie is well done, people will go and see it.

Well, some (idiots) liked About Time and it make something like 100M.

You watch your tongue.  About Time was one of the best films of last year,

And yes, CHD, Titanic is absolutely a rom com, nothing funnier than watching 1500 people die in the freezing water as their ship goes down in the Atlantic Ocean.