iceroll

Catching Fire Soundtrack Discussion

1. “Atlas” – Coldplay
2. “Silhouettes” – Of Monsters and Men
3. “Elastic Heart” – Sia (ft. The Weeknd & Diplo)
4. “Lean” – The National
5. “We Remain” – Christina Aguilera
6. “Devil May Cry” – The Weeknd
7. “Who We Are” – Imagine Dragons
8. “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” – Lorde
9. “Gale Song” – The Lumineers
10. “Mirror” – Ellie Goulding
11. “Capital Letter” – Patti Smith
12. “Shooting Arrows At The Sky” – Santigold
13. “Place For Us” – Mikky Ekko
14. “Lights” – Phantogram
15. “Angel On Fire” – Antony and the Johnsons

Stream here:

https://soundcloud.com/universalrepublic/the-hunger-games-catching-fire/s-zBd7Y

• Like 1

I love James Newton Howard, he scored both Signs and Dinosaur. Great tracks to listen from him are "Hand of Fate" and "Across the Desert".

I love his work too. I think his score for CF is coming out on the 25th, should be a great listen.

• Like 1

My ratings:

1. “Atlas” – Coldplay 8/10

Pretty great, one of my favorite tracks on the album to listen to.
2. “Silhouettes” – Of Monsters and Men 6.5/10

Kind of disappointing, I'm a big OMAM fan and this song bored me.
3. “Elastic Heart” – Sia (ft. The Weeknd & Diplo) 7/10

It's a pretty modern and unique sound, not exactly catchy but fun to listen to.
4. “Lean” – The National 6.5/10

Mellow and very indie sounding, decent but forgettable.
5. “We Remain” – Christina Aguilera 8.5/10

I didn't really like this song when I heard the preview but it's really grown on mean and now it's one of my favorites on the track.  Christina's vocals are amazing as usual.
6. “Devil May Cry” – The Weeknd 9.5/10

Best song on the album, and my favorite The Weeknd track ever.  It's so well produced and the lyrics are great too.  Overall just a high quality track.
7. “Who We Are” – Imagine Dragons 6/10

Pretty forgettable as well, I was also quite let down by this. 

8. “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” – Lorde 8/10

I love the dark moodiness of the song, Lorde did a great job with this version and the production is well done.

9. “Gale Song” – The Lumineers  7/10

Another mellow guitar song on this album, but it's the best one of the bunch IMO.  The singer's vocals have a good tone and I like the minimalistic guitar riffs.
10. “Mirror” – Ellie Goulding 5.5/10

Why are all the big artists disappointing me on this album?  This song just goes no where... it drags on and although it's well produced I don't enjoy listening to it.
11. “Capital Letter” – Patti Smith 7.5/10

I like this lady's voice, the melody is quite nice too.
12. “Shooting Arrows At The Sky” – Santigold 5/10

I hate this woman's voice, it's so whiny and the melody is really unpleasant.
13. “Place For Us” – Mikky Ekko 7.5/10

Pretty decent, but not memorable.  His voice is lower than I expected since it was so high on Rihanna's "Stay"
14. “Lights” – Phantogram 5.5/10

Boring, unmemorable, blah.

15. “Angel On Fire” – Antony and the Johnsons 8/10

I really like the atmospheric sound of this.  Even though the lyrics are barely there, it sounds very cinematic.

Overall it was pretty decent, about the same as The Hunger Games soundtrack, I kept 6 songs from that album and I think I'll keep around the same number on this.  It's missing the Taylor Swift factor but it makes up for it with a few good songs.

My ratings:

1. “Atlas” – Coldplay 8/10

Pretty great, one of my favorite tracks on the album to listen to.

2. “Silhouettes” – Of Monsters and Men 6.5/10

Kind of disappointing, I'm a big OMAM fan and this song bored me.

3. “Elastic Heart” – Sia (ft. The Weeknd & Diplo) 7/10

It's a pretty modern and unique sound, not exactly catchy but fun to listen to.

4. “Lean” – The National 6.5/10

Mellow and very indie sounding, decent but forgettable.

5. “We Remain” – Christina Aguilera 8.5/10

I didn't really like this song when I heard the preview but it's really grown on mean and now it's one of my favorites on the track.  Christina's vocals are amazing as usual.

6. “Devil May Cry” – The Weeknd 9.5/10

Best song on the album, and my favorite The Weeknd track ever.  It's so well produced and the lyrics are great too.  Overall just a high quality track.

7. “Who We Are” – Imagine Dragons 6/10

Pretty forgettable as well, I was also quite let down by this. 

8. “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” – Lorde 8/10

I love the dark moodiness of the song, Lorde did a great job with this version and the production is well done.

9. “Gale Song” – The Lumineers  7/10

Another mellow guitar song on this album, but it's the best one of the bunch IMO.  The singer's vocals have a good tone and I like the minimalistic guitar riffs.

10. “Mirror” – Ellie Goulding 5.5/10

Why are all the big artists disappointing me on this album?  This song just goes no where... it drags on and although it's well produced I don't enjoy listening to it.

11. “Capital Letter” – Patti Smith 7.5/10

I like this lady's voice, the melody is quite nice too.

12. “Shooting Arrows At The Sky” – Santigold 5/10

I hate this woman's voice, it's so whiny and the melody is really unpleasant.

13. “Place For Us” – Mikky Ekko 7.5/10

Pretty decent, but not memorable.  His voice is lower than I expected since it was so high on Rihanna's "Stay"

14. “Lights” – Phantogram 5.5/10

Boring, unmemorable, blah.

15. “Angel On Fire” – Antony and the Johnsons 8/10

I really like the atmospheric sound of this.  Even though the lyrics are barely there, it sounds very cinematic.

Overall it was pretty decent, about the same as The Hunger Games soundtrack, I kept 6 songs from that album and I think I'll keep around the same number on this.  It's missing the Taylor Swift factor but it makes up for it with a few good songs.

I loved Mirror by Ellie :ph34r:

Really?  I thought it was so boring and went no where lol.  Give us your review KSP :P

Well, I just bought the whole album today. Didn't get to go over all the songs, but here are the ones I went through so far:

1. Atlas-- 9/10. I really really really really really love this song. Sure, I'd love it to have more rock in it, but it's still such a beautiful song. I was underwhelmed at first when  I heard it, but it grew on me, and now I just have to listen to it everyday.

2. Silhouttes--9/10. I like this song so much as well! I love OMAM, and they don't dissapoint me here! (at least not me, again, I disagree with you Ice ^_^ ). This song is super catchy, and I love the music, especially the last minute. It's so great.

3. Elastic Heart--7.5/10. I'm starting to like this. At first I didn't, but it's growing on me.

4. Lean --4/10. I don't like this song at all. :ph34r:  :(

5. We Remain -- 8.5/10. Boy, when I heard Christina was going to be on the album, I was so pissed. I hate all of her music. But boy, she sells me on this one. I love this song. Just the beat, the sound of the music, and her voice make this incredible to listen too.

6. Devil May Cry -- 8.5/10. Good song, it surprised me. Never heard of the band before.

7. Who we are -- 7.5/10. I kind of agree with you Ice on this one. A bit dissapointing, as I was expecting great things, but it's still a fun listen too for me. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It's just fun I guess. Don't know how else to describe it.

8. Everybody wants to rule the world -- 9/10. I love the eerie feel of this song. So menacing. It's great, I just wished it were longer and it could have been amazing.

9. Gale song -- 4/10. Pretty forgettable song for me. Didn't like it.

10. Mirror -- 9.5/10. I LOVE this song! God. I love the dreamy like music in the background, it's been constantly stuck in my head. Her singing is perfect. I love the lyrics. Just everything about this I love.

11. Capital Letter -- 7.5/10. Not bad, surprised me. Midway through I really get into it, and love the lyrics.

12. Shooting arrows in the sky -- 7/10 Not bad, but not really memorable.

13. Place for us -- 8/10 I like this song, it's catchy with the beat.

14. Lights -- 4/10 sigh. If only 'lights' could have been the 'lights' by ellie goulding.....this 'lights' is blah.

15. Angel on Fire -- 5/10 Not a big fan of this song.

Edited by k1stpierre
  • Like 1