Jack Nevada

"No Animals Were Harmed" Is a Big Fat Lie -- Hollywood Reporter's Investigation

It's inevitable that animals will be harmed in film. I mean, humans get harmed while making films (sometimes even death), so accidents are bound to occur unfortunately.

What I want to see is the same rigour in protecting animal life while shooting as there is with human life. Give me that assurance AHA and don't try to bullshit me.

• Like 2

I didn't read the story but I have to say that I never understand why "no animal is harmed" is such a big deal. I mean we slaughter tons of animals everyday just to get our stomach filled, but one or two animal getting harmed in a film is not acceptable?

• Like 5

I laughed pretty hard at the part about some fish getting killed and washing up on shore after filming some controlled explosions over the course of 4 days of filming PotC: CotBP.  Please.

Can't say I care about this story.  Its not like the animals are being intentionally hurt or killed in order to make these movies, unlike what it takes to make those delicious steaks and sandwiches.

• Like 4

The AHA clearly needs greater accountability and to distance themselves more from productions. Being in bed with the studios to wave away any issues doesn't help at all.

What I found particularly saddening and disturbing were the mentions of physical harm by handlers. It's not like production companies are evil, or even out to get the shots they need at all costs. Pretty much everyone I've ever worked with likes and cares about animals, and will ask the handlers and monitors even about the slightest issues. At the same time, you need a regulative body with clear oversight and strong authority, and the ability to monitor a production any day they have an animal on set. I thought the AHA was that, but clearly they need to step their game up.

• Like 2

I didn't read the story but I have to say that I never understand why "no animal is harmed" is such a big deal. I mean we slaughter tons of animals everyday just to get our stomach filled, but one or two animal getting harmed in a film is not acceptable?

Generally speaking, people view eating meat as essential for their survival and well-being.

I doubt they feel the same way about animals in movies.

Edited by Bad Cap

Generally speaking, people view eating meat as essential for their survival and well-being.

I doubt they feel the same way about animals in movies.

It has been proven by many people that one can survive just fine on a vegetarian diet. It is most certainly not essential.I must admit I did laugh when I read that in shawshank redemption, they had to find a maggot that had died of natural causes to feed to a bird in one of the scenes. That is just a tiny bit ridiculous IMO.

• Like 1

Of course, but not everyone believes that. There are a lot of people out there that think being a vegetarian means being skinny and unhealthy.

Yes, but you can still survive on it which I think 99% of people would agree with. So I'm not really sure it holds true that we can't let one cow die in the making of a film for our entertainment, but we can let millions die in making our unhealthy Big Mac Burgers. 

Personally I just think MOST people are weird and have strange double standards over many things.

Edited by Spottswoode