ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

15 minutes ago, GumbyandPokey said:

When they try, as they did with strong-armed robber Michael Brown, some citizens and the MSM just give them crap for it.  And you end  up with completely made-up, phony "hands up, don't shoot" memes.

You do realise there are methods for getting criminals off the street other than shooting them, right?

Besides, regardless of your thoughts on that issues, it's hard to argue that this is a fairly scummy move. Police are supposed to protect and serve, not lash out and make veiled threats at the slightest bit of perceived criticism. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, GumbyandPokey said:

When they try, as they did with strong-armed robber Michael Brown, some citizens and the MSM just give them crap for it.  And you end  up with completely made-up, phony "hands up, don't shoot" memes.

He wasn't a robber. He actually never robbed from that store.

Now please...shhhhhhh! The grown ups want to talk about a R-rated movie.

On 11/6/2015, 1:29:44, grim22 said:

Popcorn, indeed.  With a stiff vodka tonic.  Pretty disgusting statement.  Real adult.  What are they going to do, leak the movie?  Like that doesn't happen very often.  He's already had the script leaked, I'm sure QT won't really care.  Just perusing EW's comment section shows how this "statement" automatically gained the film at least 100 more tickets. 

Edited by Macleod

10 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Popcorn, indeed.  With a stiff vodka tonic.  Pretty disgusting statement.  Real adult.  What are they going to do, leak the movie?  Like that doesn't happen very often.  He's already had the script leaked, I'm sure QT won't really care.  Just perusing EW's comment section shows how this "statement" automatically gained the film at least 100 more tickets. 

After the boycott destroyed their tour, the Dixie Chicks tried to appeal strictly to the MSNBC crowd, too, and we know how that worked out.  And EW is as far-left as an entertainment magazine can get, so their comments follow suit.  

Edited by GumbyandPokey

This is the first time in my life that I've even been asked to think about EW and politics in the same sentence.  So... Are you talking about QT's recent MSNBC interview?  I just watched that today -- he suitably shrugged off what a Texas congressman was saying because it's all overblown hyperbole... 

I get it, you're one of those "I hate liberal media" types.  I don't really see the correlation here between your DC example and QT, other than this nebulous, polarizing thing called "politics,"  but whatevs... I'm not interested in arguing this point further.

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/movies/tarantinos-the-hateful-eight-resurrects-nearly-obsolete-technology.html

The film is scheduled to open on 96 screens in the United States and four in Canada, all in 70-millimeter projection, a premium format associated with extravaganzas of the 1950s and 1960s.

Yet from a theatrical standpoint, the technology is nearly obsolete. Last year, “Interstellar” opened in 70 millimeter at only 11 comparable locations. There were only 16 in 2012 for “The Master,” which renewed interested in the format. No film has opened with 100 70-millimeter prints since 1992. According to the National Association of Theater Owners, 97 percent of the 40,000 screens in the United States now use digital projection.

Over a period of a year and a half, the Weinstein Company, which will distribute the film, arranged for old projectors to be procured, purchased and refurbished and new lenses to be made for theaters.

“The Hateful Eight” is not just any 70-millimeter movie: It is only the 10th feature to make full use of shooting in Ultra Panavision, an extra-wide format...  The lenses produce an extremely wide image. Think of midcentury films like “Ben-Hur” or “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.” Before “The Hateful Eight,” the last Ultra Panavision feature was “Khartoum” in 1966.

Anything resembling a list of theaters that will be showing this yet? I'll travel to see it, but I have to know where. If it's in NOLA, no questions asked, I can drive two and a half hours to see it. Atlanta, about five hours away, do-able, if drastic. If neither of those cities get it then I may be out of luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeroy said:

I've seen BATMAN BEGINS and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK in 70mm this year. BB was wonderful, RAIDERS was... well... well, it felt 30 years old that's for sure.

Now, we get to watch a movie that was actually shot on 70mm.  Those might be interesting, but they ain't actually 70mm.

On 11/7/2015, 4:46:45, TalismanRing said:

Yep, if the Dixie Chicks were a Metal, R&B, Rap or Alternative group they wouldn't have been harmed in the slightest. 

Those police statements - yeesh.  That sounds more like the mafia or terrorists than law enforcement.

The leaders of the FOP are acting exactly like terrorists or a gang. This threat is chilling and it's meant to be, in order to intimidate not just QT but anyone who might criticize the police. Should anything untoward happen around the release of this film the head of the FOP ought to be prosecuted for making terroristic threats and inciting violence. 

America is practically a police state.

3 minutes ago, xeno000 said:

The leaders of the FOP are acting exactly like terrorists or a gang. This threat is chilling and it's meant to be, in order to intimidate not just QT but anyone who might criticize the police. Should anything untoward happen around the release of this film the head of the FOP ought to be prosecuted for making terroristic threats and inciting violence. 

America is practically a police state.

Well, that might be an overstatement.

Well, unless you're black.  Or Hispanic.