ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

For me Django is 10/10 - the only Tarantino I REALLY like. Saw it 6 times.

This here (I just saw it) is nothing special, a run of the mill Tarantino - though pretty to look at (unlike stupid Basterds). Liked it once - but ain't no way I'm sitting through this slogfest twice.

Edited by shayhiri

Not a Tarantino fan but I really enjoyed this. Would have been nice to have some depth or some actual characters, but hey, what a glossy, lovely, snazzy surface it is.

I wasn't even bothered by the length. The 3 hours flew by. Yes, they could have cut 75 minutes off but I didn't mind.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Ah, there's plenty of depth -- you can interpret the whole movie as an investigation into the history of race relations in America. But granted, that might not play well or be apparent for an overseas audience.

I'm not really familiar with the civil war or American racial politics, and while obviously the film has tensions between the characters + Jackson, I didn't feel it actually did anything with them. But yeah, my perspective as a young European who doesn't know much about US history will differ from your perspective. :) 

• Like 5

Absorbing and explicit film. I'm not American but could easily feel theme about racial & political conflict in America which is unsolved, relevant issue till this day. That's why the ending is oddly heartwarming.

Spoiler

In spite of the feast for appalling hostility and bigotry and carnage, the film shows hopeful sign of reconciliation and aspiration for amicable world in the end. Sometimes Tarantino lands a emotionally earnest punch. 

3 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

Anyone know if the Roadshow venues are still showing the film in 70 mm or have they gone over to digital with the mass release?

Most, if not all, have stuck with digital only.

That being said, there's at least one location - namely, the Cinerama in Seattle - that is hoping to play the 70mm Roadshow after Star Wars vacates. I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of the Arclight Cinerama Dome after Tarantino's very public outburst.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what theatre in their right mind would switch to a digital presentation that has been showing 70mm given how much it must have cost to set it up. 

BTW, anyone in the UK that has a chance to see it at Odeon Leicester Square, 8 would definitely recommend taking the opportunity, it's a superb experience, and I'd love to see the whole pomp and circumstance of this sort of presentation (not necessarily in 70mm specifically) become more commonplace. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I can't imagine what theatre in their right mind would switch to a digital presentation that has been showing 70mm given how much it must have cost to set it up. 

BTW, anyone in the UK that has a chance to see it at Odeon Leicester Square, 8 would definitely recommend taking the opportunity, it's a superb experience, and I'd love to see the whole pomp and circumstance of this sort of presentation (not necessarily in 70mm specifically) become more commonplace. 

+10000. Or if anyone is up north, the Edinburgh Filmhouse will have it from Feb 12.

The closest to a true 'roadshow' style thing (except H8 obviously) are really the whole Live in Concert screenings.....I went to the Interstellar one last year, it was something else. 

Edited by antovolk