ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

I don't think this will be as big as IG or DU as it's lacking that one huge bankable star (RDJ would have been a great addition) and it depends on the release date, but I still think 100+ will be in store.

Super excited that Russell looks to be one of the main leads.

I think Tarantino has become incredibly mainstream and popular and is now able to sell a movie based on his name.

So I'm not too worried.

• Like 2

I think Tarantino has become incredibly mainstream and popular and is now able to sell a movie based on his name.

So I'm not too worried.

yeah i think he's now one of those directors with enough name recognition to sell a film. After Django he really skyrocketed to another level.

• Like 1

Tarantino's going all in. He's shooting this on Super Panavision 70 -- a 70mm format that's got a very wide aspect ratio: 2.76:1. He wants to create a roadshow-style release: released only in 70mm, then (a few weeks later) 35mm, and eventually digital.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/quentin-tarantino-retirement-hateful-eight-international-release-1201280583/

• Like 9

Tarantino's going all in. He's shooting this on Super Panavision 70 -- a 70mm format that's got a very wide aspect ratio: 2.76:1. He wants to create a roadshow-style release: released only in 70mm, then (a few weeks later) 35mm, and eventually digital.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/quentin-tarantino-retirement-hateful-eight-international-release-1201280583/

Good to here.

YES YES YES

Gonna be so many projection issues :rofl:

• Like 9

Serious question. How many non-IMAX 70mm theaters are there? I'm glad to see he's doing this.

Serious question. How many non-IMAX 70mm theaters are there? I'm glad to see he's doing this.

Very few. Compare how many 5/70 theaters are playing INTERSTELLAR versus the number of 15/70 IMAXs.

edit: there are 42 15/70 IMAX locations for INTERSTELLAR and 11 70mm locations.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

I quite admire Tarantino for still choosing to shoot on film especially 70mm but I find it interesting that some directors have embraced digital like James Cameron, David Fincher, Peter Jackson etc while others like Nolan, Tarantino, Spielberg still want to shoot on film.

• Like 1

Some of the movies shot in Super Panavision 70:

Exodus

West Side Story

Lawrence of Arabia

My Fair Lady

Grand Prix

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ( :rofl:)

I saw that film a few days ago ironically enough. 

I imagine Broccoli and co figured that they needed to show all the scenes of the flying car and castles with the best possible visual experience they could give the audience at the time. 

If I was a producer or director and I had the opportunity to use Super Panavision, I sure as heck would.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2

I saw that film a few days ago ironically enough.

I imagine Broccoli and co figured that they needed to show all the scenes of the flying car and castles with the best possible visual experience they could give the audience at the time.

If I was a producer or director and I had the opportunity to use Super Panavision, I sure as heck would.

I'd love to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang remastered in the same way that Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz have been but I doubt MGM would spend the money on it.

• Like 2

I'd love to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang remastered in the same way that Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz have been but I doubt MGM would spend the money on it.

Well MGM just got out of being bankrupt and they still lost a lot of money regardless, so I can see why they're not interested in having Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, even if I would be all for that (it was pretty good film, quite imaginative too, might I add). 

• Like 1

Well MGM just got out of being bankrupt and they still lost a lot of money regardless, so I can see why they're not interested in having Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, even if I would be all for that (it was pretty good film, quite imaginative too, might I add).

I'm hoping it'll happen eventually. I think the film was United Artist's response to Mary Poppins using both the Sherman brothers and Dick Van Dyke but it does have Bond like elements which is isn't surprising as Ian Fleming wrote the original story with the car, a female character called Truly Scrumptious and the Child Catcher.

• Like 3

I'm hoping it'll happen eventually. I think the film was United Artist's response to Mary Poppins using both the Sherman brothers and Dick Van Dyke but it does have Bond like elements which is isn't surprising as Ian Fleming wrote the original story with the car, a female character called Truly Scrumptious and the Child Catcher.

Some of the people in my music film class actually assumed that the film would turn into a spy thriller somewhere along the way. Heh! 

• Like 3