Plain Old Tele

Blade Runner (1982)

Blade Runner (1982)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Is there a single sci-fi released after this that was even remotely influenced by this?

A (94)

Scott's Alien had a MUCH bigger influence: a well-know franchise, countless video games, a genre that was blended and involved in countless films.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

The detail put in this movie is truly amazing. Also, the behind the scenes and the amount of cuts for this movie is ridiculous. I only saw the Final Cut but I did see the other ending with the voiceover and I think the no-voiceover one works much better. The film itself looks really beautiful, the score is outstanding and Harrison Ford probably gives his best performance.

9/10

• Like 2

There are different opinions on this movie

Mine is - I was mesmerizedThere are flaws in it but its just so visually arresting I really can't say 'I would've done this or that' its just the way it is and the way it should be I guess

Existential sci-fi noir.

It's hard to pinpoint where a review for Blade Runner should begin.  It is impressive in so many different ways that it is near impossible to single one specific thing out.  It is very much like a machine in that every aspect works together to form the ultimate whole.  You simply would not have the same film if you take away any of the work on display here.  And what a piece of work it is.

It defies categorization, but perhaps the easy way to categorize the film is a mix of heavy noir with heavy sci-fi.  I'm going to be blunt here and just say this is a match made in heaven for me.  The most impressive aspect to me lies in the fact that is simultaneously contains the style inherent in noir and the philosophical musings found in superior sci-fi.  This does not even begin to note just how damn amazing the look is here.  As I said, it's hard to know where to begin here.

Good noir can be hard to come by, but when found it is much like a buried treasure in its effect.  Noir to me is very much a state of mind or even attitude if you will.  It is the way the dialogue is delivered.  It is the shades of color within the camera angles on the faces.  It is cigarette smoke lingering in the air after one has just said a damn cool line.  It is the light shining through the blinds.  It is  a state of being.  It does not come and go during a film, but is rather always present.  Very much is its own character in the film.

As for the sci-fi aspect, I feel like there are two sub-categories here.  One of course is the world on display.  I just got the Blu-Ray last night and have to admit to being nothing less than blown away.  Every camera shot was clearly so meticulous in its execution.  One can easily decipher that not a single shot was wasted.  It reminds one  how film-making would ultimately be in a perfect world.  

The other aspect on the sci-fi end of course lies in its depth.  The depth of the film is of course where its magic ultimately lies.  This is a film that has the power to flow you both thematically and visually.  There are likely a handful of films that can be called as such.  

My favorite aspect here is how the depth and philosophical musings evolved in the film's run time.  The questions posed were so subtle and yet so intoxicating.  So many films have attempted these questions but few have worked them to this effect.  The memories the replicants had opened up so many different avenues one's brains could ultimately travel down.  These are ponderings that I feel should remain private with the viewer.  The film presents these questions in a way that feels very personal and subjective.  

The music is in a way a perfect way to tie up the noir with the sci-fi.  it contained the melordramatic musings with noir along with some hints of techno for sci-fi.  So many great visuals to be had here with perfectly suited music to bring out emotion.  Perfect.

I feel like this is a once in a lifetime film.  This is very much a film that was made in the perfect time, place, and by the perfect people.  If you had the same people attempt to re-create the magic I have no doubt they would be unable to do so.  As with all cinema classics, this is what makes them so special.  There are so many unique factors besides talent that contribute to a film.  This is cinema magic across so many levels.  

It's Blade Runner...........enough said.
  • Like 5

one of the few films to have profoundly irritated me. i mean, i dislike a lot of movies, sure, but this one was just annoying for some reason.

i need to see it again. but for the moment...

I had seen this movie a few times in my life but it all changed in 2004 when i studied it in college. The textual analysis and discovering all the layers and themes within it. things that i had never pondered about. Amazing movie.

A

• Like 2

One of the most important and influential film of all time.And scott hated this movie for decades and he now pretends it is his favourite movie.Masterpieces are sometimes beautiful accident, Scott and Ford hated each other and the movie was a nightmare to shoot.The Rutger Hauer final monologue still gives me chills to this day, pure sci fi poetry.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3