Plain Old Tele

Blade Runner (1982)

Blade Runner (1982)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I still prefer Brazil for my 80s sci-fi having your cake and eating it too, favorite sci-fi of all-time, etc. Hell, I like Videodrome, RoboCop and The Fly somewhat more as well. But, that's because the 80s deliver so much awesome science fiction cinema. Love me some Rutger Hauer, Ford's awesome, Edward James Olmos - "It's too bad she won't live, but then again who does?" - steals just about all of his scenes as well. Such a phenomenal synch jazz score from Vangelis too. A+

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

(Final Cut)

Blade Runner is a fascinating examination of humanity set in a wonderfully-realized dystopian future. The production design, cinematography, and score are all incredible, and the direction doesn't let it down. Hauer is remarkable as Roy, being memorable in every single scene. Ford is fine as Deckard, but it's clear the world this takes place in is much more intriguing than the neo-noir aspects he has to offer. Blade Runner is often considered a sci-fi classic, a reputation well-earned. A film with an entrancing world and captivating themes. B+

(Final Cut)

I liked it quite a bit but not enough to call it an amazing film or whatever. I think a few more rewatches and some viewings of the other cuts may open my eyes to new things I never noticed before. As is, its good but not great. Everything in the technical department was flawless though. The production design, the visuals, the freakin' score by Vangelis (easily one of my new favorite soundtracks) are all top notch. 

B

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

Undoubtedly beautiful to look at. It's a film that relies on pure atmosphere and world-building, and in that respect it succeeds. It's easy to understand why its such an influential film, because the world we see here is fully realized. That extends to the soundtrack, which is one of my all-time favorites. Taking off the rose-tinted glasses, it still holds up as a good sci-fi film even if the plot is lacking in some places.

B+

(Final Cut)

Rutger Hauer, the cinematography, and the score are phenomenal. The story captivates when it's not about Deckard, and Ridley Scott's direction is the best it's ever been, but still manages to get in the way of a lot of potentially phenomenal moments, making them merely great. Still, a real treat to see on the big screen. A-