Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

I did quite enjoy Sing, I have to admit. I was all ready to hate it but its charm wore me down.

Pets had its moments too but the story was just too random and stupid for me to call it a good movie.

Edited by tribefan695

In 2010, Illumination came onto the scene with Despicable Me. It was an animated film that made a lot of money on a low million dollar budget. Then soon it became a billion dollar franchise with Despicable Me 2 being Universal Pictures’ most profitable film EVER! Seriously its spin-off film, Minions became the first non-Disney animated film to break a billion dollars in the box office. Of course, with a lot of money, we would get another sequel in the Despicable Me universe. Here’s the thing though; I actually liked it.

Here's my Review of Despicable Me 3

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//despicable-me-3-review

and here's the REvisit that goes with it:

http://rendyreviews.com/revisit//rendy-revisits-despicable-me-despicable-me-2

• Like 1

17 hours ago, a2knet said:

DM2 is 6.6/10 with 73%.

CARS3 is 6.1/10 with 66%.
MINIONS is 5.8/10 with 56%.

DM3 is 5.9/10 with 81%. So I expect DM3's RT score to drop.

Or else it seems to be a unique case of lots and lots of people liking it but not by a big degree.

Would work for a summer animation considering we haven't had a huge animation this year.

Compare with last year - Dory, Zootp, Pets had released before summer ended. Sing and Moana combined did 500+ later on.

DM3 could be the only animation this year to cross 200 (and 300 but that's besides the point). COCO could fall below 200 imo.

DM3 is actually falling behind Minions in average rating now (at 5.6), its tomato-meter might not end up too far from Minions.

I hope Coco does well, I want Pixar to produce more Inside out level original work, and this is the last chance in a while (before 2020 anyways).

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if the film ended above 60% on RT.  I think we were too quick to call this a well-reviewed movie. Am I getting a little nervous about the movie's box office total? Yes, but I'm still predicting a 90+mil opening weekend. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

57 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This is going rotten, methinks. Average rating's dropped quite a bit in addition to the Tomatometer.

With all the other franchise fatigue this summer hard to imagine there being much of an exception here.

If this ends underperforming it will have  NOTHING to do with reviews.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

If this ends underperforming it will have  NOTHING to do with reviews.

57 minutes ago, James said:

LMAO, you think anyone watching this movie will give a fuck about reviews. Kids will enjoy it and drag their parents along. And people who loved Minions will like this too. This is not goingbunder 300m. 

'Mommy Daddy let's watch the new Despicable Me movie!'

'No honey, it's rotten on RT.'

'Its what on what? I want to watch Gru and Minions again!'

'No dear, we will watch Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on BluRay instead. It's certified fresh and will help you and all of us go to sleep.'

• Like 9

1 hour ago, James said:

LMAO, you think anyone watching this movie will give a fuck about reviews. Kids will enjoy it and drag their parents along. And people who loved Minions will like this too. This is not goingbunder 300m. 

This reminds too much of Shrek 4. Remember Shrek 4 was tracking at over $100M OW, and look what happened. Even the huge opening of Shrek 3 ($121M OW a record not broken until Dory) couldn't help which also had similar reception as Minions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

This reminds too much of Shrek 4. Remember Shrek 4 was tracking at over $100M OW, and look what happened. Even the huge opening of Shrek 3 ($121M OW a record not broken until Dory) couldn't help which also had similar reception as Minions.

Jeez guys. You keep talking about how meh reception Minions had on and on...

Blah blah blah. What I see is that Minions ended up grossing 1.15b fucking dollars and is up there with Frozen as the biggest animation EVER especially overseas.

It still ended up close to a x3 multi dom, which may not be overwhelming but for possibly the most hyped animation ever after FD, it is far from poor.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Jeez guys. You keep talking about how meh reception Minions had on and on...

Blah blah blah. What I see is that Minions ended up grossing 1.15b fucking dollars and is up there with Frozen as the biggest animation EVER. ( overseas and by a far margin).

It still ended up close to a x3 multi dom, which may not be overwhelming but for possibly the most hyped animation ever after FD, it is far from poor.

Internationally it'll be fine of course and be a complete monster. $900M-$1B WW is nothing to cry about. Domestic, if we get into rotten territory, an $90M/$275M performance wouldn't surprise me. Minions had poor legs for an animated movie here due to WOM among adults, if DM3 has the same WOM, I think $315M is the most it can hope for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Difference being that kids and families loved Minions and they love these films, while I don't think anybody liked Shrek 3 - even kids were probably bored shitless w/that movie. :P

• Like 4

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

'Mommy Daddy let's watch the new Despicable Me movie!'

'No honey, it's rotten on RT.'

'Its what on what? I want to watch Gru and Minions again!'

'No dear, we will watch Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on BluRay instead. It's certified fresh and will help you and all of us go to sleep.'

Image result for bingo card

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Internationally it'll be fine of course and be a complete monster. $900M-$1B WW is nothing to cry about. Domestic, if we get into rotten territory, an $90M/$275M performance wouldn't surprise me. Minions had poor legs for an animated movie here due to WOM among adults, if DM3 has the same WOM, I think $315M is the most it can hope for.

I disagree. 

How better could Minions have done? It is a fucking animated film that grossed 1.15b WW.

That's a figure that some huge brands cannot even dream of reaching. Especially OS it is a monster. It outgrossed OS every single superheroe film save for the 2 Avengers entries.

Minions had good WoM. Not spectacular but kids and families loved it. Too much complaining for such a huuuuge success story.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I disagree. 

How better could Minions have done? It is a fucking animated film that grossed 1.15b WW.

That's a figure that some huge brands cannot even dream of reaching. Especially OS it is a monster. It outgrossed OS every single superheroe film save for the 2 Avengers entries.

Minions had good WoM. Not spectacular but kids and families loved it. Too much complaining for such a huuuuge success story.

I was talking about DM3 box office. A sub 3x multiple for an animated film is not only bad but rare, only 4 of the top 100 animated films in America has had this happen. However Minions did excellently at the box office, but when you look at domestic, I'm not denying it had a great haul but it had poor legs.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I was talking about DM3 box office. A sub 3x multiple for an animated film is not only bad but rare, only 4 of the top 100 animated films in America has had this happen.

Maybe because animated films were hardly ever as hyped as Minions was. 

How many animated films have opened +100m?

Minions is basically the most culturally relevant thing animation has produce in years. And to put this to an end, I don't know what you guys in America thought, but every little kid I have met loved it to death.

I

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

You mean toxic :P

If that's what toxic WoM looks like, studios would kill to achieve it.

There is no possibility that a movie that Grosse a billi has toxic WoM.

You may not like it but kids surely did.

• Like 1