rukaio101

CAYOM - New Franchise by rights thread

Also getting the rights for the anime series 'Gosick'. I think I could make some good movies after that.

Good choice. I was considering doing the same.

• Like 1

Just a word of friendly advice. You might think that claiming franchises are a really good idea, but it's actually not that great. Most of the best movies do come from original stuff. 

Don't listen to ric; my best movies have always been adapted (except for TMF and Shiverin' Gulch lol)

Just a word of friendly advice. You might think that claiming franchises are a really good idea, but it's actually not that great. Most of the best movies do come from original stuff. 

You mean like the Godfather, the Shawshank Redemption, Gone With the Wind or, your favourite movie, All Quiet on the Western Front? Oh wait, all of those were adapted from existing properties.

Although, that being said, you do still have to put work into adapting your franchise to make it appropriate for a film. You can't just copy and paste the synopsis from Wikipedia and think it's all done. 

Most of my favourite movies from CAYOM have come from original properties simply because there is often more effort and planning and creativity put into those than Adapted movies, of which really only numbers can make brilliant. IMO of course.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's just that I like the story very much and would love to make a movie about it. I don't plan to make them Oscar worthy or anything like that. To The Moon was just a stab in the dark that turned out successful (Seeing that no one actually knew the game apart from CJohn, I could've just claimed it was an original story anyway.)

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's just that I like the story very much and would love to make a movie about it. I don't plan to make them Oscar worthy or anything like that. To The Moon was just a stab in the dark that turned out successful (Seeing that no one actually knew the game apart from CJohn, I could've just claimed it was an original story anyway.)

Didn't that happen in CAYOM 1.0 at some point? 

(But this wasn't aimed at you specifically.)

• Like 2

Most of my favourite movies from CAYOM have come from original properties simply because there is often more effort and planning and creativity put into those than Adapted movies, of which really only numbers can make brilliant. IMO of course.

I'd say creating a good Adaptation (which isn't just a copy and paste job) requires much more effort than creating an original property. So far I've done two adaptations and two original works and the adaptations required much more thought put into them. Sure you've got existing material to work with but it's material created for a different type of media than film and can't just be jammed in. You've got to think about what you need to cut, what's appropriate for your demographic, making sure it has the right kind of pacing for a film, etc, etc, while still keeping loyal to the source material. While, with an original property, you still have to keep that in mind, you also have the freedom to whatever you want, unlike an adaptation where you're kinda shackled to the source material.

I'd say creating a good Adaptation (which isn't just a copy and paste job) requires much more effort than creating an original property. So far I've done two adaptations and two original works and the adaptations required much more thought put into them. Sure you've got existing material to work with but it's material created for a different type of media than film and can't just be jammed in. You've got to think about what you need to cut, what's appropriate for your demographic, making sure it has the right kind of pacing for a film, etc, etc, while still keeping loyal to the source material. While, with an original property, you still have to keep that in mind, you also have the freedom to whatever you want, unlike an adaptation where you're kinda shackled to the source material.

Exactly. My point is that imo, adapted materials rarely are as good as original materials in CAYOM. 

Exactly. My point is that imo, adapted materials rarely are as good as original materials in CAYOM. 

Whether you think that or not, that has more to do with the way people are adapting them rather than adaptations just being a weaker medium and worse way to do CAYOM films.

You shouldn't be telling people not to do adaptations, you should be telling them to put more thought into how you do them. 

It depends, to be honest. Depends how good it was adapted for the screen, how good the story was. I remember you liking Heavy Rain (not sure about To The Moon) so I think as long as they're done right, you still like them enough.

Whether you think that or not, that has more to do with the way people are adapting them rather than adaptations just being a weaker medium and worse way to do CAYOM films.You shouldn't be telling people not to do adaptations, you should be telling them to put more thought into how you do them.

I never said not to do adaptations, but rather that they aren't as great as one might think they are.

It depends, to be honest. Depends how good it was adapted for the screen, how good the story was. I remember you liking Heavy Rain (not sure about To The Moon) so I think as long as they're done right, you still like them enough.

Yeah, but my point was that adaptations aren't as great as people think they are.

Depends on the adaptation. Franchise-wise, I adapt franchises purely to make big-screen cinematic blockbusters out of properties I enjoy. The sole exception has been the Jack Ryan franchise, which has done far better critically and awards-wise than I'd have suspected at the onset.

As for one-off adaptations, it depends on finding good material that connects with me and that I think I can turn into something strong.

But there is a BIG BIG BIG history of strong adaptations in CAYOM, particularly in the original BOM outing. When they connect with players of the game, they connect like a Walk-off Grand Slam to win the World Series.

Fun fact: These are the only adapted films to be nominated for Best Picture. Y3 had none, Y2 and Y4 only had one, and only Y6 had a majority of Adapted nominations. A lot of the time, better ideas speak to us when we're actually taking them from our own minds, but if we can make a source material work well, then it can really work. 

And The Band Played On

Wings of Icarus

U.S.S. Seawolf

The Glass Castle

The Shark Mutiny

The Dogs of Babel

The Cardinal In The Kremlin

To The Moon

The Rise & Fall of Julius Caesar

A Woman In The Crowd

Edited by Spaghetti

Fun fact: These are the only BP nominees to be nominated for Best Picture. 

I would say so :P

Though Julius Caesar is different from the others since it's a sequel to an original historical film, so it's "that" kind of adapted.

• Like 1