CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

Illumination is really ramping up their slate, I'm worried the animated market is becoming oversaturated with three films from Dreamworks, a film from Sony, two films from Disney, one from Pixar, one from Fox and possibly one by WB or Paramountg

Illumination is really ramping up their slate, I'm worried the animated market is becoming oversaturated with three films from Dreamworks, a film from Sony, two films from Disney, one from Pixar, one from Fox and possibly one by WB or Paramountg

Yup it's overkill, but honestly I love it. Always good to see interesting animated projects (The Nut Job doesn't count).

I love this franchise!  I hope Untitled Illumination Project 2 is as good as Untitled Illumination Project 1!  Although sequels usually have a tough time to live up to the originals, I'm sure this one will be loads better.  Nice to see Matthew McConaughey returning for the sequel.  Even though I feel like he did a somewhat unremarkable performance in the original (let's not kid ourselves...who remembers McConaughey in the first movie?  certainly not me...) I'm glad the studio is giving him a chance to shine once again in the sequel. 

Garth Jennings is also a very talented director, but he especially excels at writing with Untitled Illumination Project 1 being a masterpiece right down to the unusual title of the movie.

• Like 2

Found this tidbit on an unrelated article:

That said, Asher is a very busy six year-old. On the heels of his highly praised vocal performance in "Hotel T2," he's now voicing a character in Jon Favreau's live-action / CG version of "The Jungle Book" for Disney. Asher's also working on "Lunch" for Illumination Entertainment where he'll be voicing a pig.

So this might be titled "LUNCH"

I love this franchise!  I hope Untitled Illumination Project 2 is as good as Untitled Illumination Project 1!  Although sequels usually have a tough time to live up to the originals, I'm sure this one will be loads better.  Nice to see Matthew McConaughey returning for the sequel.  Even though I feel like he did a somewhat unremarkable performance in the original (let's not kid ourselves...who remembers McConaughey in the first movie?  certainly not me...) I'm glad the studio is giving him a chance to shine once again in the sequel. 

Garth Jennings is also a very talented director, but he especially excels at writing with Untitled Illumination Project 1 being a masterpiece right down to the unusual title of the movie.

I'm still pumped about the next installment of Untitled Illumination Project franchise!  I heard the sequel  is getting lots of buzz online and the mystery surrounding the original helps keep the hype high.   

http://www.thewrap.com/matthew-mcconaughey-reese-witherspoon-animated-comedy-gets-title/

Set in a world entirely inhibited by animals, Matthew McConaughey will star as the voice of eternal optimist Buster Moon, a dapper koala who’s in desperate need of income to save his beloved theater.

To bring his pride and joy to its former glory, he produces the world’s greatest singing competition, tricking contestant into believing that this is their shot to change the course of their life.

“Sing” is written and directed by Garth Jennings (“Son of Rambow,” “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”). Chris Meledandri and Janet Healy are producing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It sounds like a good premise but I wonder if audiences are going to burnt out by talking animal films by the time this comes out? 

Yeah, there have never been animated films with talking animals before so this is just going to be too much.

Sounds like a really cool film but has the possibility to be a Free Birds-like disappointment, in which the movie is too zany for mainstream family audiences. 

Edited by treeroy

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I guess my question at this point is how many of these people can actually sing

Witherspoon, Macfarlane, Reilly and Johansson have all proved on multiple occasions that they have great singing voices. Dunno about Egerton and never heard of Tori Kelly.

But - given that it's a contest, not all of the characters will necessarily be amazing singers. Some of them probably really bad. This isn't a musical, as far as I can tell.