grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

5 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Its definitely not that obscure and has been pretty influential. Most people I know have at least heard of the property before. It was the first anime I watched outside of morning cartoons.

It's certainly influential but it's an obscure property for the general audience. I was surprised to even hear from the likes of people at Collider, that they haven't seen the original film 

9 minutes ago, RedX said:

It's certainly influential but it's an obscure property for the general audience. I was surprised to even hear from the likes of people at Collider, that they haven't seen the original film 

Yeah but they all knew about it. Anyone who loves sci-fiction should watch the original.

Also we would not have the Matrix without it.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Its definitely not that obscure and has been pretty influential. Most people I know have at least heard of the property before. It was the first anime I watched outside of morning cartoons.

It's no comparison between a japanese anime film and one of Disney's biggest animated juggernauts. Look at the box office numbers. Ghost in the Shell (1995) made 2.3 million dollars worldwide and Beauty and the Beast (1991) made 425 million. So there's just no comparison.

Whitewashing. Below is a very general comment without spoiling to much. 

Spoiler

I liked the way they handled this in the movie in universe.  It's another level of what Hanka took away from her. 

Below totally spoils this aspect of the movie. FULL METAL SPOILER

Spoiler

She actually is Japanese.  She's a runaway who was anti-technology and was kidnapped by Hanka for use in the experiments.  Not only did they get rid of her body, wipe her memory and insert a new one they also took away that she was Japanese.

Edited by DeeCee

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Hide contents

I liked the way they handled this in the movie in universe.  It's another level of what Hanka took away from her. 

Hide contents

She actually is Japanese.  She's a runaway who was anti-technology and was kidnapped by Hanka for use in the experiments.  Not only did they get rid of her body, wipe her memory and insert a new one they also took away that she was Japanese.

Like I said previously, it'll be interesting to see how people will react to this. press are certainly torn....some hating that they've done this.

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

So is

she played by a Japanese actress in the beginning?

5 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Hide contents

very beginning (when she is wheeled through the Hanka HQ before the shelling) and in flashbacks

Thank you! :)

I don't know, the use of Scarlett seems fitting in the context explained in @DeeCee spoiler tags. Social media overreaction much?

Hmm. how can a 3/5 be rotten on RT? Oh well, RT is going to be RT. 

Think it's going to stay just on the edge of fresh and rotten. Could easily end up in the 40s. Seems like fun movie to end March with which felt a lot like Summer. Still deciding if I'll go to the theaters or not for it, the visuals sound awesome but the story sounds less interesting then I hoped.

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

BatB. Nobody's going to remember GitS a week after its release. BatB's watercooler convo movie.

I could say the same about BATB. I remember Kong: Skull Island and Logan a lot more then it. Most of my memories from it come from having seen the original so much.

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I could say the same about BATB. I remember Kong: Skull Island and Logan a lot more then it. Most of my memories from it come from having seen the original so much.

I meant more about what people talk about. They talk about BatB, they talked about Logan. Doubtful GitS will be a hot topic since it already isn't. Both Logan and BatB had pre-release chatter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Hmm. how can a 3/5 be rotten on RT? Oh well, RT is going to be RT. 

Think it's going to stay just on the edge of fresh and rotten. Could easily end up in the 40s. Seems like fun movie to end March with which felt a lot like Summer. Still deciding if I'll go to the theaters or not for it, the visuals sound awesome but the story sounds less interesting then I hoped.

The critic actually ends up deciding whether they want it to be rotten. So a critic can give it a 3/5 for one movie and think the movie is good enough whereas another movie they give it 3/5 and think it's lacking in important areas so they deem it rotten. 

Honestly after reading the reviews I'm fairly disappointed. I don't know much at all about the original GITS/anime and based on the reviews I'm reading....I won't know much at all after watching this because the character and plot development are weak. I may still go because I'm hearing fantastic things about the visuals but right now I'm just ehh about this. 

Ill probably wait to see what most of you guys have to say about this because I trust you guys more. I've seen other films for just the visuals so maybe this movie will be another case of that haha 

Edited by Nova