grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

Ugh. Yuck. Arrrgh! :(  This is what I hate about Hollywood. Hollywood has no problem financing films with Asians playing villains (whether they are based on real life events or not), but now you have the chance to create a kickass heroic character who also happens to be Asian...and of course you are going to cast the whitest (and blandest) white woman in Hollywood's action film radar. Ugh.

Yes, I know the drill: she is a big name...she will put butts in seats...blah blah blah.... I still hate the conventional wisdom that assumes that American audiences cannot EVER relate to a heroic character if said character is not Caucasian. BS.

Surprised they didn't get a Chinese actress with good English skills.  Could still make good money domestic if the movie looks good as well as being popular in Asia.

Eh. I could care less about whitewashing in this movie. GitS has always struck me as the sort of film that could easily take place anywhere in the future. It's not exactly Jake Gyllenhaal as a Persian.

Honestly, I'm on board for Scarjo if only because that makes it plausible the movie will be a hit and that Hollywood might try other Japanese properties. I would kill for a live-action Psycho-Pass movie (done by the right people).

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 1

Like someone else mentioned, ScarJo is probably the ideal white actress for this, since she is "hot" in a thoroughly bland, inflatable-doll-like way, plus her acting abilities are android-y to say the least.  Still doesn't make it right that she is cast, when there are plenty of Asian and Asian-American actresses out there who could have done a great job. As usual, the response will be "that there are no Asian female stars big enough to be entrusted with a multi-million-dollar potential franchise," yet nobody had a problem with entrusting the then-unknown Jennifer Lawrence with THG or the then-untested-as-an-action-star Angelina Jolie with Tomb Raider.

Eh. I could care less about whitewashing in this movie. GitS has always struck me as the sort of film that could easily take place anywhere in the future. It's not exactly Jake Gyllenhaal as a Persian.

Honestly, I'm on board for Scarjo if only because that makes it plausible the movie will be a hit and that Hollywood might try other Japanese properties. I would kill for a live-action Psycho-Pass movie (done by the right people).

Just out of curiosity: if you're a fan why would you want a live-action film of it anyway? I mean, I love golden age Simpsons but I don't need real world adaptation of it...

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity: if you're a fan why would you want a live-action film of it anyway? I mean, I love golden age Simpsons but I don't need real world adaptation of it...

Why not? It's a different interpretation and presentation of a universe and concept I love and want to see more of. And even if it's bad then hey, I've still got the original to enjoy. So at best, I get a great new addition to a universe I love and at worst I get something I can just ignore. 

Also, Simpsons is an awful comparison. There are some series which just won't work in live-action. And there are some series that would, like GitS or Psycho-Pass.