John Marston

were the Jedi meant to be somewhat unspympathetic in the prequels?

they are supposed to be the guardians of Peace and Justice in the Galaxy but came across as cold, uncaring, unsympathetic people with ridiculously harsh rules. They also seemed to hate Anakin right from the beginning. I almost can't blame him for not trusting them at all

• Like 4

I seem to remember Lucas saying that they are supposed to be unsympathetic to an extent. Mace Windu in particular is meant to represent everything wrong with the Jedi Order.

• Like 4

They were supposed to represent a group that had become complacent, stagnant, and unflinchingly devoted to formal ritual and the letter of the law.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Is there any benefit in being in the Jedi order? Might as well become a Jedi and leave so you don't have to follow their ridiculous rules

I guess it's the satisfaction of guarding the galaxy against evil. Like the Night's Watch on Game of Thrones.

• Like 2

Is there any benefit in being in the Jedi order? Might as well become a Jedi and leave so you don't have to follow their ridiculous rules

If you're on your own, you're a vigilante with no backup or cover.If you're part of the Jedi, you have legal power and legal protection and thousands of backup if necessary.
  • Like 1

Yes,they were. They had become remote and seperated from the very people they were supposed to protect,and that was not good. Their obssesion with rules was a major part of this. It is clearly implied if they did not have their idiotic rule against marriage,Anakin might well not have gone over to the dark side.

• Like 1

I seem to remember Lucas saying that they are supposed to be unsympathetic to an extent. Mace Windu in particular is meant to represent everything wrong with the Jedi Order.

Where did you hear that?

if consider the lore of star wars... it's the very reason that Anakin is the chosen one and key to how the jedi are represented in the prequels - Yoda in the second film mentions this very fact... to sure of themselves they are.....  

Anakin needed to not only wipe out the misguided jedi of the time but in the end wipe out the sith thereby bringing the force back into balance... essentially restart the jedi order.....

It was the jedi themselves that misunderstood the proficy.    

so yes this is correct... from a certain point of view ;)

• Like 3

I like how George wrote Anakin and his conflict with the Jedi.  They all did treat him like shit.  All except for Obi Wan. He was just following orders.  But Mace was an asshole to him and Yoda was always untrusting of him.  That can be explained by saying that he always "felt" that there wasn't something right with Anakin, but then you have the chicken and the egg question.

• Like 3

I think they were purposely made to be unsympathetic.  They were meant to be shown too rigid and over confident.  That's why they were able to be fooled by the Sith. 

• Like 2

I know this is like a year after the fact, but just to throw in my two cents, I completely agree. Just because something is "good" (the good guys) doesn't always mean that everything they are/represent is "good". That's what I love about SW, is all the grey areas it touches on. The Old Jedi Order was flawed, and ultimately led to its own demise. It's almost poetic; get rid of the old and broken and bring in the new order (if that doesn't sound harsh).

• Like 1

I think the Jedi order became too institutionalized and systematic. At that point it was easy to become blind to corruption and their gear-like function in the machine.

Being renegades and rebels forces seems to purify their goals and motives.

It's kind of like the founding fathers were able to forge an ideal society when they themselves were outlaws and rebels.

• Like 1

Actually much of the way the Jedi acted in the prequels is very logical. Consider that attachment is forbidden. Or they risk a Jedi going to the dark side. To be honest the way windu , yoda spoke if had anything but happy thoughts, you were going to the dark side. Hence I think a lot of Jedi wiped all emotion. Hence the coldness. It was actually one of key reasons why the force needed to brought back into balance in the first place. Also by refusing their emotions, I believe this allowed an avenue for the sith to re-emerge. Quite likely part of the reason dooku fell to dark side also.

• Like 1

Mace Windu treated Anakin horribly.  It was like having LeBron James at your disposable and treating him like he was an junior varsity high school player.

Palpatine gave him the positive strokes, fatherly advice that he needed and manipulated Anakin perfectly.  I too like the way that played out. 

• Like 2

Mace Windu treated Anakin horribly.  It was like having LeBron James at your disposable and treating him like he was an junior varsity high school player.

Palpatine gave him the positive strokes, fatherly advice that he needed and manipulated Anakin perfectly.  I too like the way that played out.

The problem is that's supposed to be Sith Lord Vader at his peak.

Not some gullible whiny kid.

He should'very at least became a wise prodigy before he became lured by power and greed.

But he did it to save his love.

Weak.

That's not why powerful men turn to evil.

"You mean my wife won't get cancer. Okay I'll torture and slaughter those freedom fighters!"

Anyway the sequel trilogy could actually dare to be smarter than the audience.

Fingers crossed.

No, quite the opposite. The jedi just didnt believe in attatchment. They beleived that you needed to give up compassion and attachment so you dont have anything to tempt you to be selfish, which can cause you to be greedy, and can lead to the dark side.