JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

It seems Sydney IMAX is close to sell outs on a lot of the evening sessions all through next week.

Some people are planning ahead.  The last session currently available for sale on January 6 has about 30 seats sold.

just over 28 hours till this opens... disappointed i couldn't make the midnight... it will be insane as most of the major cinemas are running Star wars on every screen they have at midnight.

At this point, i'm beginning to not see how this misses the opening day record and opening weekend record too.  extreme disappointment would indeed be the word if Star wars misses either with all these reports of sellouts.

8 minutes ago, Jajang said:

just over 28 hours till this opens... disappointed i couldn't make the midnight... it will be insane as most of the major cinemas are running Star wars on every screen they have at midnight.

At this point, i'm beginning to not see how this misses the opening day record and opening weekend record too.  extreme disappointment would indeed be the word if Star wars misses either with all these reports of sellouts.

What is the opening day record in AUD

Guys. Just reviewing averages for various big openers.

LOTR2 - 33k

new moon - 30k

JW - 26.5k

If that 900 screen figure is true then using the examples above and u would think that TFA will be as busy as JW. 23m would bottom end and top end is basically 30m using the 900 screen rumoured estimate.

..... 23m to 25m still seems right. 30m just feels too loonie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the solid pre-sales I'm starting to think $9m opening day and then $25m for the weekend.

If this is only solid presales then what are explosive presales.... Almost afraid to ask

18 hours ago, DeeCee said:

It was a 2009 film directed by James Cameron.

:rolleyes:

I have to agree. Unless Star Wars is well above even our lofty expectations I don't see it reaching avatars heights here. AUD is very unlikely and USD is simply impossible at this point. remember it's like the equivalent of 1.1B at theIS box office.

More realistically I'm expecting it to end as the 2nd biggest film here.

Here are the midnight screenings in the Wollongong (population 300,000) area.

Greater Union Shellharbour - 6 of 8 screens

Greater Union Wollongong - 2 of 3 screens

Hoyts Warrawong - 6 of 6 screens

Gala Warrawong - 1 of 2 screens

You can only see the ticket sales for Shellharbour and there's 335 tickets remaining.  The biggest theatre has 240 seats.  There are no Gold Class or large format screens here.

Currently our presales for tomorrow (tonight included) at my site are sitting at 80% of our final sales for The Avengers on Anzac Day and getting close to the final ticket sales for the last Harry Potter movie.

Opening day record is going down. Weekend presales are significantly less, but still very strong.

Currently our presales for tomorrow (tonight included) at my site are sitting at 80% of our final sales for The Avengers on Anzac Day and getting close to the final ticket sales for the last Harry Potter movie.

Opening day record is going down. Weekend presales are significantly less, but still very strong.

Don't forget Star Wars looks like it will be on significantly more screens than either of those films. So yep I have to agree. OD record is going down. And unless we get a complete collapse thru the weekend, OW record will fall also.

Remember Potter took the OD record and OW record but OD was on the Wednesday. (Essentially a 25m 5 day total). A 8m OD should equate as a minimum 20m OW.