Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Has Jim ever let you down in terms of ACTION.

yeah action has never been his problem and I can say that as someone who is not really a fan of Avatar.  The action wasn't an issue so I doubt it would be in the sequels either

8 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Actually not outside the realm of possibility if they do a worldwide re-release like they did for Titanic 3D, and especially do it in China. It is not that far away from 3B afterall.

If it's a World Wide re-release we are in business.

Not sure about the real benefits of doing under water mo cap.

It seems he s ading an enormous amount/layer of complexity for very little, palpable results.

Since mo-cap is in deed animation in the end, Cameron has been lying to himself  about this forever, I'll wait and see.

James Cameron, From his recent Vanity Fair interview

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/james-cameron-titanic-20th-anniversary-avatar-terminator-fox-studios-sale

On the fourth and fifth films: “Let’s face it, if Avatar 2 and 3 don’t make enough money, there’s not going to be a 4 and 5. They’re fully encapsulated stories in and of themselves. It builds across the five films to a greater kind of meta narrative, but they’re fully formed films in their own right, unlike, say, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, where you really just had to sort of go, ‘Oh, sh*t, all right, well I guess I better come back next year.’ Even though that all worked and everybody did.”

Should be an interesting read for Cameron fans, at least since it deals mostly with Titanic as well

8 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Not sure about the real benefits of doing under water mo cap.

It seems he s ading an enormous amount/layer of complexity for very little, palpable results.

Since mo-cap is in deed animation in the end, Cameron has been lying to himself  about this forever, I'll wait and see.

I don't know why Cameron is adamant to take so much time going this route when he could have gone the Aquaman route due next year. It's obvious Aquaman VFX team is not using whatever technology Cameron is aiming at because we wouldn't have to wait that long.

I think he wants those underwater scenes to look as photorealistic as possible (in addition to perf capture real people under water to play CG aliens :blink: The amount of scuba divers around to supply oxygen on that set...) as photorealistic as that Pandora computer generated jungle was (that most people don't realize is entirely virtual). Simulating photorealistic underwater scenes are one of the most harder environment to pull off VFX wise due to the amount of light bounces, caustics, reflection, refraction etc on top of generating CG water, waves and streams with complex fluid simulation. It takes forever to render a frame when you increment all those complex parameters in high resolution and 60 frames per second.

That better looks marginally better and more impressive than any underwater scenes ever made including Aquaman next year or else all that time wasted for minimal returns will be an egg on his face.

Edited by dashrendar44

14 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

I don't know why Cameron is adamant to take so much time going this route when he could have gone the Aquaman route due next year. It's obvious Aquaman VFX team is not using whatever technology Cameron is aiming at because we wouldn't have to wait that long.

I think he wants those underwater scenes to look as photorealistic as possible (in addition to perf capture real people under water to play CG aliens :blink: The amount of scuba divers around to supply oxygen on that set...) as photorealistic as that Pandora computer generated jungle was (that most people don't realize is entirely virtual). Simulating photorealistic underwater scenes are one of the most harder environment to pull off VFX wise due to the amount of light bounces, caustics, reflection, refraction etc on top of generating CG water, waves and streams with complex fluid simulation. It takes forever to render a frame when you increment all those complex parameters in high resolution and 60 frames per second.

That better looks marginally better and more impressive than any underwater scenes ever made including Aquaman next year or else all that time wasted for minimal returns will be an egg on his face.

Knowing Cameron, I have no doubt he's trying to make the break VFX records with the underwater scenes. Movie should look incredible anyway, and if it isn't, then I'll be severely disappointed. 

This may sound a bit off topic, but ... does Marvel have any underwater superhero or story to be told? I mean, if Disney ends buying 21st Century Fox (which i think won't happen or be as hard as WB-AT&T merging process), Avatar (and production costs, development...) should be included in the deal, and they may have first hand access to whatever Cameron is developing, and they could use it for further MCU solos/Avengers to come. It's just a thought.

Cameron has spent half his life under the sea.

I guess he s going for the stasis, lack of gravity you feel when you scuba dive, he wants the audience to feel what it s like to be one with the sea when you watch the movie, to connect with mother! like we did in the womb of our mothers.

It s crazy these movies have taken so long because of this exact Cameron wish/demand : underwater mo-cap or bust.

Each time there was an interview about those films, the R&D argument to find a way to do under water mo-cap was mentionned.

Cameron movies always have a never seen before aspect top them, that s what excites him in the morning, doing something deemed impossible and never been done before him.

Let s see what the crazy canuck has in store this time.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Fuck it! Im already sold hahah all this underwater Tech shit is getting me super excited. 

I'm hoping for some great visuals, imagery, and even some superb action sequences with that "tech" stuff. Sounds super-promising anyway.

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

This may sound a bit off topic, but ... does Marvel have any underwater superhero or story to be told? I mean, if Disney ends buying 21st Century Fox (which i think won't happen or be as hard as WB-AT&T merging process), Avatar (and production costs, development...) should be included in the deal, and they may have first hand access to whatever Cameron is developing, and they could use it for further MCU solos/Avengers to come. It's just a thought.

Namor comes to mind, but the rights are in endless loop with Universal, who refuse to give them up, despite doing nothing with the character. 

4 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Namor