Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

James Cameron is incredible when it comes to developing new technology, but, frankly, he is up and down when it comes to the writing and directing departments.

"Avatar" was visually stunning, broke new ground in technology, but was never better then OK in the story and character department. In fact, at times it felt like Cameron was more interested in showing off his new technology then in the story and charecters.

That people just do not remember the charecters in Avatar like they do the characters in "Star Wars" or "LOTR" show that Cameron needs to improve in that department.

Saying Cameron didn't create more of some of the most famous pop cultural characters & worlds of the last 80 years is your proof of bad writing & directing ?

Ok.

Also, Avatar is the dearest project of Cameron s life, make this criticism to his face and you ll see.

He s been thinking about it for at least 20 years,  he wrote a giant backstory of every character and  place etc

The movie encapsulates everything Cameron is about, his love for nature and the animal kingdom & his love for technology and human ingenuity & his (childhood) fear we will probably be the responsible of our own demise.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 6

Terminator, Sarah Connor, Hicks, Newt, Bishop, Jack and Rose are more memorable than what's-their-faces from Rogue One. I'm sure many people don't remember Avatar character names but they also don't remember Rogue One names. So that's one Star Wars with not so memorable characters. Also, last time I checked, PT wasn't exactly praised for writing and people find tons of fault with TFA too, so much so that they are most exciting about Luke out of so many new characters. Ouch.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

^^ This is true for some people but certainly not all. I think Cameron's ability to sell a 10-ft tall Thundersmurf romance is under-appreciated. 

Cameron sold 10-ft tall Thundersmurf romance better than anyone else did in the history.

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Terminator, Sarah Connor, Hicks, Newt, Bishop, Jack and Rose are more memorable than what's-their-faces from Rogue One. I'm sure many people don't remember Avatar character names but they also don't remember Rogue One names. So that's one Star Wars with not so memorable characters. Also, last time I checked, PT wasn't exactly praised for writing and people find tons of fault with TFA too, so much so that they are most exciting about Luke out of so many new characters. Ouch.

GAME: Try to remember and quote Avatar, the highest-grossing movie of all time. Quote ANY line.. No cheating.

GO! :)

12 minutes ago, SpiritComix said:

GAME: Try to remember and quote Avatar, the highest-grossing movie of all time. Quote ANY line.. No cheating.

Directed by the man who brought you Titanic?

16 minutes ago, SpiritComix said:

"It's called Avatar."

Edited by vc2002

18 minutes ago, SpiritComix said:

Seriously, without looking online, I can quote you a ton of lines from Avatar. Just because you may not remember anything from it, does not mean that the film's fan don't.

Also, weren't you complaining about going into a film's thread (Spider-Man 6) to spread negativity? And don't even try it with that "that post I just wrote was not negative," because you know damn well that it was :D ; it was trying to remind us that "nobody remembers anything about Avatar." Now, just like you told me once, why don't you go and spread more positivity in your favorite film (SM:H)'s thread instead of "bashing" films you don't care about? :P  

Edited by Cochofles

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Seriously, without looking online, I can quote you a ton of lines from Avatar. Just because you may not remember anything from it, does not mean that the film's fan don't.

Also, weren't you complaining about going into a film's thread (Spider-Man 6) to spread negativity? And don't even try it with that "that post I just wrote was not negative," because you know damn well that it was :D ; it was trying to remind us that "nobody remembers anything about Avatar." Now, just like you told me once, why don't you go and spread more positivity in your favorite film (SM:H)'s thread instead of "bashing" films you don't care about? :P  

Geez, person. What is wrong with you? How can you assume that I'm acting negatively? I'm not bashing, at all!

I liked Avatar, James Cameron is a genius (I'm a big fan).

It's just a fun game (I saw on Twitter sometime ago). 

I love "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" and I can't quote that movie...

37 minutes ago, SpiritComix said:

Sigourney Weaver's character: "Do you have any scientific experience?"

Jake Sully: "I dissected a frog once."

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

By the way, James Cameron is a genius and after Aliens, Terminator I and II, Titanic and Avatar, I would never doubt his great ability to surprise us once again.

I am very happy to see that he is dedicating himself to a project he loves, that he is trying to make the best films possible (even if it still takes a few years) and that he is trying to develop new technologies once again.

Can't wait to see the new Avatars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SpiritComix said:

This is a bit unfair because it's like playing a fanboy-franchise game with a cinematic experience type of movie. Not every movie has to try to create a cult like fan-following like SW, remember every mundanes lines the characters say. If audiences are leaving the theaters feeling spiritually cleansed after visiting Pandora, it has more than achieved its purpose.

Some movies try very hard to be instantly quotable - TDK, for example, is one of those, Avatar is just not like that. TDK is indeed a domestic cultural phenomenon, though, globally it is no Avatar. So here's another problem for some of these  "instantly quotable" movies, they seem to be able stir up some reactions and memes in certain regions, but interestingly, when it comes to transcending all language and cultural barriers, Avatar and Titanic are the ultimate success story.

oh btw I remember one quote: Neytiri :"You should not be here!" :D

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

This is a bit unfair because it's like playing a fanboy-franchise game with a cinematic experience type of movie. Not every movie has to try to create a cult like fan-following like SW, remember every mundanes lines the characters say. If audiences are leaving the theaters feeling spiritually cleansed after visiting Pandora, it has more than achieved its purpose.

Some movies try very hard to be instantly quotable - TDK, for example, is one of those, Avatar is just not like that. TDK is indeed a domestic cultural phenomenon, though, globally it is no Avatar. So here's another problem for some of these  "instantly quotable" movies, they seem to be able stir up some reactions and memes in certain regions, but interestingly, when it comes to transcending all language and cultural barriers, Avatar and Titanic are the ultimate success story.

oh btw I remember one quote: Neytiri :"You should not be here!" :D

As I said to another user:

I liked Avatar, James Cameron is a genius (I'm a big fan).

It's just a fun game (I saw on Twitter sometime ago). 

I love "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" and I can't quote that movie...

:)