Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Is it just me or are those names going to be a problem for people trying to connect to the characters. I mean, characters is one of the general vague complaints people have about Avatar, those "names" are not really helping the situation....

This is really becoming your slogan now ;)

Yes....too complicated. I actually feel JC might make his first commerical & critical flop. World has changed a lot since 2009...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Doesn't help that he just slammed the most recently beloved SH movie.:hahaha:

...but he didn't slam it. He said it was a good movie. He just had some statements about aspects of it (which as far as I can tell are more about how the character has been portrayed through comics -- which the movie (relatively faithfully) adhered to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Yes....too complicated. I actually feel JC might make his first commerical & critical flop. World has changed a lot since 2009...

There is 'ZERO' chance this will be a commercial flop.  Zero, 0, zip, null...

The sequels to the sequel however will be more dependent will not get the same pass.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

There is 'ZERO' chance this will be a commercial flop.  Zero, 0, zip, null...

The sequels to the sequel however will be more dependent will not get the same pass.

I agree.  I don't see any way this can flop.  Even if somehow it dropped all the way down to $300 mil just DOM, that still wouldn't be a flop.

unless it was all sarcasm or a joke :P 

Edited by 75Live

People may not talk about Avatar now or anticipate the sequels or buy merchandise, but if the trailer for the first movie has a Wow factor, they'll come. A movie could be one of the best (War for the Planet of the Apes reviews) but if the previews wow no one, than audience simply won't be there despite praise. OTOH, reviews were crap for Suicide Squad but people were so hyped by previews they didn't care. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Cameron's never made a flop. He has one financial "disappointment" (though it's probably well in the black after decades of home video rental/sales), and no critical disappointments.

But what about the bitey fish one?

Hurr hurr hurr.

8 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

...but he didn't slam it. He said it was a good movie. He just had some statements about aspects of it (which as far as I can tell are more about how the character has been portrayed through comics -- which the movie (relatively faithfully) adhered to.

Well I guess then Avatar haters ain't really hating it. They just had some statements about aspects of it. :P

Anyway, Cameron is definitely wrong. I think Cameron has lost his mind on this case.

I mean, how could he say it's a good movie. It bored the crap out of me. :gold:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Cameron's never made a flop. He has one financial "disappointment" (though it's probably well in the black after decades of home video rental/sales), and no critical disappointments.

Man, this sounds like the arguments about movie box office - "WW will never beat GOTG 2 this summer, b/c no recent super has had legs that great"...and "No movie can open over $100M in Sept - have you see how much the highest movie has made?"...just b/c something has never happened before is no evidence that it won't in the future...

Avatar 2 could very well be like Zoolander 2 - the world passed it by and wasn't coming back...or it could be like T2 - a huger smash than the original...we won't know til we see both the movie quality and the response to trailers/media/reviews this gets...the response to the 1st trailer should be the 1st sign of where this movie might go, but it won't be more than a possible indicator...

I mean, I for one see this right now as a huge risk with a possible huge reward or a colossal financial failure...it's one reason I think they are releasing 2 movies back to back years and then waiting 3 years...it might give the studio a "pull the plug" ability like what happened with Divergent if #1 doesn't catch on and #2 fails...although it could just be b/c Cameron said "I want X" and they said "Yes, sir."

One thing I can say...this will be a very interesting box office watch, no matter which way it goes.    

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Man, this sounds like the arguments about movie box office - "WW will never beat GOTG 2 this summer, b/c no recent super has had legs that great"...and "No movie can open over $100M in Sept - have you see how much the highest movie has made?"...just b/c something has never happened before is no evidence that it won't in the future...

Avatar 2 could very well be like Zoolander 2 - the world passed it by and wasn't coming back...or it could be like T2 - a huger smash than the original...we won't know til we see both the movie quality and the response to trailers/media/reviews this gets...the response to the 1st trailer should be the 1st sign of where this movie might go, but it won't be more than a possible indicator...

I mean, I for one see this right now as a huge risk with a possible huge reward or a colossal financial failure...it's one reason I think they are releasing 2 movies back to back years and then waiting 3 years...it might give the studio a "pull the plug" ability like what happened with Divergent if #1 doesn't catch on and #2 fails...although it could just be b/c Cameron said "I want X" and they said "Yes, sir."

One thing I can say...this will be a very interesting box office watch, no matter which way it goes.    

The difference between Avatar and a lot of other movies is that the sequel could drop hugely (70% or more) from the original and still be a financial success. I think Alice Through the Looking Glass has the biggest sequel drop from a $1b grosser, and I see this 70% drop as the absolute floor for Avatar 2 if everything goes wrong (marketing, reviews, WOM, exchange rates etc). This would still be over $800m WW which, while disappointing, could not be branded as a flop or colossal failure as you suggest.

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

we need a bot or something that posts links to certain comments on certain dates. Reading this in 2021 would be hilarious.

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Thought this would be a good place to mention Pirahna 2 looks like it is getting a Blu Ray release before The Abyss and True Lies

LOL!!! every movie ever made is getting a Blu Ray release ahead of The Abyss and True Lies....and that includes some truly god awful z-grade garbage that only 10 people on planet will buy 

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Although we won't know how it does until it releases, we could definitely narrow down the possibilities. There is zero chance that Avatar 2 will end up pathetic like Zoolander 2, at the very least, even if North America/European markets don't turn up, a film like Avatar 2 will inherently have more international appeal, China alone will make sure that Avatar 2 don't end up like Zoolander 2. As for the other possibility, that's quite unlikely because we haven't exactly witnessed a sequel being bigger than original if the original is a cinematic phenomenon (Star Wars, Avengers etc...), but the sample size is probably too small for this to be a definitive conclusion. Also, if we're strictly talking about box office, Avatar 2 can gross more than Avatar yet still be a lesser hit, due to market expansions (China alone is about 6 or 7 times bigger than it was in 2009), and inflation, a movie doing 3B in 2020 is less impressive than a movie doing 2.78B in 2009, Avatar 2 out-grossing Avatar worldwide is definitely a possibility, I think.

Edited by NCsoft